Wow Could It Be Any Slower?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by meyer1131, Jan 3, 2009.

1. meyer1131 macrumors regular

My sister bought a MacBook i think the SantaRosa one about a year or so ago. She is now out of warrenty and did not purchase Apple Care. Her MacBook is the slowest machine I have ever seen. The boot up time is approximately 5 minutes and then it loads and freezes every five seconds. I was searching the forums looking for some things to test but the MacBook freezes so I can not even test it for anything. Apple recently replaced her HD for another one because she was having problems before and it was going slow. Right now I am trying to download Onyx and run some maintenence tasks yet its so slow and it froze so I could not even do that. And I can not open up System Prefs because the Spotlight is indexing with no end time. Then the Menu Bar at the top only shows the Spotlight Icon with a little dot in the middle, no time or battery life or anything. On top of that her Dock crashed. I am pretty mac saavy and am on these forums a lot but I need some help here guys!

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

If the computer is that messed up, take it to an Apple store. Even though she's out of warranty, a genius may be able to either help you fix the problem, or find some other way to deal with it. They tend to be pretty good about it, even if you're out of warranty.

3. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Backup and Reinstall? I know it's a shoddy suggestion, but keep it in the toolkit if everything else fails.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Boot from the Install Disc 1 and run the Hardware Test.

Sounds like bad RAM at this point.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What system is it running and have you done a reinstall?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

Bad ram was my first guess too...it seems like the os keeps goign after the HD since it has no working RAm, could be something else tho... any way of you to get ram from another computer maybe yours and give it a go and see what happens?

7. meyer1131 thread starter macrumors regular

yeahh i can try that but how do i take out my ram and put it in hers? she does have her computer backed up so if needbe I guess a cleaninstall could be in order although she literally just got her HD replaced about a month ago and they clean installed the OS. I forgot to thank you all for the quick responses!

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes if your computer( i dunno what you have) uses the same ram as hers, the switch it and boot it up, if it works fine after that then no need to reinstall the whole thing just go to the store and buy some ram.. if this doens't fix it try a full install i guess..

9. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

:(
    Except that it appears it was clean installed on HD change, so it must be something hardware related.

10. meyer1131 thread starter macrumors regular

it was clean installed off the HD change, they said she had a fauly HD and it just ended up dying. She only has 1 gig of ram yet she constantly edits movies and shoots them from her MacBook using iMovie. I will try the ram swap tomorrow. Any other possibilities or diagnosis' come to mind?