Wow didnt realize it would be so hard to get an Ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chrisyb, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Chrisyb macrumors newbie

Wow i just learned a bunch of Ipad stuff jsut by finding this forum. My son had saved his money and knew after his bday he would have enough to buy the new Ipad which was released i guess the week before his bday March 27th. When we went to Best Buy to get him one we already had an idea there was a shortage. Of course we didnt come home with one and tried apple.com but the delivery wait was too long (4 weeks). I called every Best Buy within a 75 mile radius to my house with no luck as well as the Apple stores. Today i got fed up and found this site which was pretty informative. I had no idea people were lining up that early in front of the Apple stores in hopes if getting an Ipad 2!!! Not one of the apple stores i called filled me in on this lil secret. I'm clueless as far as these things go. The last thing my son wanted which was hard to get was the Wii.
    I looked on apple.com today and saw the delivery time was shortened to 2-3 weeks and they offered free shipping. So after not wanting to get up every day at the crack of dawn to line up at my local apple store we ordered it. For $12 we could get 2 -3 day shipping which we got but dunno if it will make a difference or not. My expected delivery date is still May 5th but that isnt too far away. The poor kid has waited so long already a few more weeks isnt gonna hurt him and at least we know its on its way.
    Thanks to everyone giving input on this site. You guys enlightened me as to what to do in the future :D

2. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

Yes it is pretty amazing. There are some gray areas on Apple's side for the way the distribution was handled but the demand was huge, there's no doubt about it!

It's sad that your son didn't have it in time for his birthday but on the other hand the extra wait will make it even more enjoyable when it comes!

3. italeki macrumors regular

I rate Apple a D for poor and mismanaged product delivery.

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't forget to check target! I've been running into loads of them for weeks!

5. Chrisyb thread starter macrumors newbie

What i dont get is why the big secret? Out of all the times i called apple stores in my area not one of them even hinted that i could/should line up at my local store and try to get one that way. I guess they didnt want a huge mass of people outside their stores.
    Also do Best Buy type of stores get thier Ipads from Japan? A few Best Buy workers told me because of the earthquake in Japan the production of the Ipads was halted and thats why its taking so long to get them in. When i mentioned this to an Apple customer service rep she kind of chuckled and told me they got their Ipads from China!!! Now i felt like a fool :eek:

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

Some parts for the iPad 2 do come from Japan, but the unit is assembled in China. This shortage existed before the earthquake.

7. jicka macrumors member

I keep finding them at target with this locator site

http://www.ipad2locator.com/

You should be able to find one on there within a day or 2. I have about 5 targets around my area code and have seen an ipad in stock on that site almost everyday.

8. Bheleu macrumors 6502

Saw a 3G 64 ATT white pop up walmart today... No I did not go grab it...

9. 2ndname macrumors member

I wonder how accurate that finder is.

10. Smoothness macrumors regular

Thats odd. The apple store at my mall told everyone and anyone who asks to get there before store opens. They even say sometimes they sell out within first thirty minutes or have enough till afternoon

11. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

my personal experience is that the target one is not completely accurate.

12. jumpmanpro97 macrumors member

wow I called 1 apple store and the guy told me, people line up early in the morning (5am) and we open an hour early (9am) and that was the best way to get one.