Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macsforcollege?

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Woke up, went onto my computer. checked my mail. then i started getting things coming up saying Virus click here to remove.. that happend a bunch of time, removed them all. But popups were bombareding me. every second, every click. then YOUR COMPUTER HAS SPYWARE. RESTART. Did that, then i get a new background telling me that. and constant popups.. what a great day! My family friend came over, worked on it but he said my best thing is to just wipe it out. not happy. he thought he could do some stuff and run some virus scans and fix it but anytime he tries to click on download he gets There is a problem and gets exit out with that SEND TO MICROSOFT or DONT SEND thing...... this sucks.. still getting popups saying theres a virus, click here to download anit spyware and much more... i really hope this doesnt happen on macs!!!!! when i told him about the mac he was right saying they are indestructable but they hopefully they arent like this.....

Sorry, I didnt say.. THIS IS NOT ON A MAC. ITS MY DELL. I am venting and saying, " i hope this never happends on a mac as in Im getting one but im so annoyed that this happend and i hope these issues arent on macs.

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I'm not sure...I'm clear on exactly what happened. Did this happen under windows in Boot Camp or in Mac OS X?

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Sounds like you was attacked by some malware which basically makes you download some tool from a suspect site, which infects your system, but makes out to be removing spyware, while it actually places it.

But your correct in saying Macs have very little if any issues with Malware or Viruses.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
I feel your pain! Been there and done that windows routine not too mention all the money and overhead spent running all the anti spyware/virus crap and yearly subscriptions!

All I will say is that in over 3 years since I switched I have not Once had that sorry ass experience on my Macs! Which is one of the main reasons I will never switch back to winblows!

I do by no choice, still run windows at work and IM always reminded using them, exactly why I switched to a Mac!

I do not think you will regret your new Mac and welcome aboard the train! ;):D:apple::)

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
You clicked on one of those spyware ads that told you that you had a virus. It's a trick that installs spyware and possibly a virus. It makes all these popups. They are very difficult to get rid of.

I once installed XP on my MBP and didn't have antispyware yet. I visited my girlfriends MySpace and someone in the comments posted code that installed some spyware that did the exact thing that you had happen. Popups every few seconds and a new IE window would open about every 10 seconds. Only way to stop it was to remove the bootcamp partition.

I also once visited a Myspace page that started downloading some dmg file automatically on my BlackBook or MBP. I simply stopped the download but if someone is not careful, they can install something that can be harmful on a Mac just as well.

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
the only thing bad like that happen to me was when this ad of some genie thing kept coming up...and more people had that but i just reset safari and it was gonee

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.