Wow finally bought a ps3

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Nov 14, 2009.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

I'm so happy finally bout a ps3 and this thing is great.

I'm glad I didn't go the atv rout. I just loaded a bunch of Avis in the hard drive and it plays them beautifully I'm not even sure if I wanna connect my mac mini to this thing. It's such a great media center. Anybody else lovin theirs

2. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

congrats...

i was also thinking of buying a ps3 but was confused between ps3 and x-box...

good for you anyways...

3. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Yep just bought one and waiting for my brand new LED bravia TV- at Christmas I hope.

I have not had a chance to hook it up and try it out. I am really pleased that the AVIs work well. I have a whole bunch of them and would really like to put them on the HD.

Do you have a 120 or 250 HD?

4. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Glad to see you're happy with your purchase. I have one as well, but it doesn't offer the things I'm looking for.

With the ATV, I can purchase a movie or TV Show and I'm not locked to the PS3 with it... I can put it on my PC and then on an iPhone or iPod (though I believe you can transfer your purchases on PS3 to a PSP).

I like the interface on the ATV a lot more, as well as the chapters and such when I watch my TV Shows or movies.

Being locked down to fewer formats with the ATV than the PS3 was initially a drawback, but H.264 is a hell of an encoder and I don't mind having all of my self-encoded files in the same format, it makes things much easier.

If you just download random AVI files and such and want to watch them on the TV, the PS3 is a great route to go, or if you don't bother with portable players and the like. But if you enjoy having all of your media in a central location and already use iTunes/iPhone/iPods a lot, then I think the ATV is a better decision.

But again, its all down to individual preference and the PS3, along with being a Blu-Ray player and gaming system, may also fit many people's streaming/media center needs.

5. killercat007 macrumors newbie

waiting for Boxee event dec 7th

I have a PS3 although prefer macs generally, the atv didnt fry my rice.

The PS3 is a wireless media centre that can be configured to stream movies, avi, dvx, mov etc from your mac via free app: media link.

Buy a 50Euro Playtv box and now have a PVR with a great interface.

You can stream movies from SOnys Movie store in HD and SD rather like Itunes.

Apple would have got my vote but they are falling behind on this race and appear to be focusing on handheld gaming. If I was them I would put some time into delivering HD content to consumers HD screens...

Apple could deliver a consumer media centre based around ATV. It simply needs wireless, broadband, storage and a redesigned interface.

In the meantime, I would like to see a boxee app on the PS3 that allows you to stream content from mulitple partners. Sadly PS3 currently only allows content from sony video store. (many studios content are located there)
    The interface for the ATV is sluggish and too linear in design, 3 years ago it was a novelty win. I think you bought well.

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Uhhh. The Apple TV has had 802.11n wireless since it was introduced in 2007. It was the first set-top box to do so. It now comes with a 160GB internal hard drive and they just released Apple TV software 3.0 with a completely overhauled interface.

Sounds like you know nothing about the Apple TV.

OP, congratulations and enjoy your PS3. While I prefer the Apple TV myself for media (interface, chapter support, iTunes ecosystem, silentness, etc) , the PS3 is a great Blu-ray player and Sony’s exclusive titles are fantastic (Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Infamous, Little Big Planet, etc).

7. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the 120 gig. I don't see myself filling that any time soon. The atv is probably the more affordable media center solution but some of these home theater setups I saw on here I think some are overkill. To have a HD dvr, mac mini & ps3 all attached to the 52 would be too much in my opinion I like the simplicity of the ps3. I love apple and buy a ton of content but I believe the ps3 wins over atv

8. GilesM macrumors 6502

I think there is room for both the PS3 and the :apple:TV.

After all, the PS3 is a great games machine, and a Blu-Ray player, only the media centre function overlaps with the :apple:TV.

I have both and must say that for my iTunes music and movies, you can't beat the :apple: TV, for internet browsing, Blu-Ray playback and games, the PS3 is supreme.

Either is good, both is best!

9. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I'm with you OP. Bought a PS3 months back and the ATV has been gathering dust ever since.

Used to be that the only thing I needed the ATV for was renting/buying movies/tv but I never did much of that. For rentals I always thought the prices were too high. For buying, I was never comfortable that I wouldn't one day lose my purchase if the disk died (don't think you can recover them from Apple). Now PS3 even lets you rent and buy movies.

PS3 also lets you play your avi's and divx's without needing to transcode them.

With the Netflix addtion, the PS3 is far and away the best single device to have if you need a media system. Apple has just let ATV languish as others have caught up. It's not that ATV is really that far behind as a media player (except for formats and Netflix), it's just that others have caught up and they let you game and play disks for the same price.

So if you're going to pick one, PS3 is clearly better. At this point, I can't really see any benefit for paying to have the ATV as well. If you have it already, I guess use it but I can't see the reason to buy it over PS3 anymore.

10. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

although i like the look of the apple tv and the affordability and ease of use. I do believe it's limited. I ultimately believe you are better off going with a mac mini or apple laptop if you have one.

The ps3 is a beautiful machine and imho the best overall option for a media center or a home theater.

2nd is mac mini if money is not a option if you want itunes intergration and avis.

if money is a option then obviously the 160 gig apple tv is the best solution.

11. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

you make very valid points. Im glad i researched and researched thru this site before taking my plunge. This section is very helpful..

12. dmiller macrumors member

I'm really missing my ps3 now, it overheated and I haven't been able to replace it. I loved just throwing all my downloaded stuff on it via a flash drive or PS3 Media Server. The HD is easy enough to upgrade, just buy a laptop HD.

The only advantage to a AppleTV is if you have a bunch of movies or TV shows purchased from iTunes. Then it is the best way to watch them on a TV.

Congrats on your purchase, hope yours doesn't break like mine! :eek:

13. killercat007 macrumors newbie

Uhhh. The Apple TV has had 802.11n wireless since it was introduced in 2007. It was the first set-top box to do so. It now comes with a 160GB internal hard drive and they just released Apple TV software 3.0 with a completely overhauled interface.

Good points, I should have been clearer. What I would like to have seen was Apple lead the way. It has wireless, but can you stream multiple formats over to it using UDP? Not sure. A 160GB hard drive is a start and but you cant add more drive space without 'hacking' an ATV. Its taken 2 years to overhaul the interface to simply catch up with the rest. I think the remote needs an overhaul or they should write an app for the touch/Iphone that enhances the ATV experience.

14. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

There is one, it's called, of all things, REMOTE, and works great.

15. minik macrumors 65816

I have the original 60GB (now 160GB) PS3 and the 160GB Apple TV hooked up the same Sony TV set. What I have been using with these 2 devices;

PS3: Light gaming, PSN, Home, Netflix streaming, and blu-ray movie playback.
    Apple TV: Video Podcast, Internet radio, photo from Flickr/mobileme, purchase movies, TV shows, and shared contents from my iMac.

Congrats on your purchase.

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I was hopeful for a more updated :apple:TV for a long time but alas that would cut into Mac mini sales so it probably won't get a really meaningful update...

The PS3 looks like a good option if Sony would open up the formats a bit but for the $$ I'll likely build my own home server...

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

download ps3 media server...its free

the app has the ability to trascode the files on the fly if the original format is not supported by the ps3

quite awesome
    http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

18. thecheda macrumors 6502

PS3 or 360

I use a 360 for my media player, flawless.

19. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys lol I'm loving the ps3. Just helped one of my buddies set up his. He has the older 40 gig model & he didn't know how to stream from vuse onto ps3 from his mac mini. I got it working sweet. But from strange reason when I got home I couldn't turn my devices stream back on vuse Does anybody know how to add the option back

20. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...thank you, that looks pretty cool...