WoW framerate very low on Mac Pro. Not right.

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by mguastaferro, Dec 15, 2008.

1. mguastaferro macrumors newbie

So here's the problem, im trying to play WoW on my mac pro in windowed mode and im getting framerates of 10fps or less. The Mac Pro im running has 2 3GHz Quad-core processors, 14gb of ram, 2 7300 GT video cards each running a 24-inch Westinghouse LCD monitor. Ive played with different graphic settings and havent seen a change. Its slowing the response time on the rest of my computer also. This doesnt make sense, as there are two other Mac Pros in here with ALOT less hardware running WoW perfectly in windowed mode with no lag at all.

Any thoughts? Im stumped.

As a sidenote, i was experiencing some lag from time to time with Warhammer Online, running through bootcamp in Xp.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The 7300 GT + 24" monitor won't net you any amazing framerates, and the latest WoW update cut everyone's FPS in half. You need to upgrade to an 8800 GT (or 3870 if you also do a lot of Core Image-based work) if you want to get decent framerates.

3. mguastaferro thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, thats something ive been debating with myself, whether or not to upgrade those cards. I guess now is as good a time as any. I did read through this thread:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=3773499360&sid=1
    which helped alot, i rearranged my video cards and its at least decent enough to play. I guess i had one of my cards on the x1 slot, which wasnt getting any juice at all.
    Thanks for the quick response Mackilroy, looks like ill be saving up...

4. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

It may even be worth getting a 3870 X2 as I think that although it will only use one core on the OS X side, Windows in Bootcamp mode will be able to use both which will give you a nice gaming boost.