Wow, i am shocked and awed by my new macbook pro...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gathart, Apr 6, 2009.

1. gathart macrumors regular

What a great machine. i was the whole time anticipating that something might go wrong - as it usual happened with my prev DElls. But no, the whole set up went so smoothly, even installing software went eay. And it looks gorgeous! Starting to get the hang of OSX, which is easier then i thought.Even my windows programs run better.

Getting it was a bit diff, and i found TNT (apples preferred carrier in the uk appearantly, not very helpful) but he, it is worth the trouble.

2. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

:D My baby is a week old today, and I can't imagine life without it. I know Apple has it flaws, and know this computer isn't perfect, nor meant for everyone. But, I too, was blown away and am still a little bit in awe of it. I keep thinking the vacation will end! I found myself at first dodging certain tasks because on my previous computer it meant melt-downs (literally...the thing got wayy too hot, and it's wasn't necessarily a Windows vs OSX issue, but more strictly hardware, which then in turn, made the software run like crap), but now I'm getting used to Googling again without a million pop-ups, and not having to worry about re-formatting or virus scanning every night. It's a relief to be able to turn on my computer and just use it and love it. I'm sure the hype will wear off soon, but I know for a fact that I have a solid computer for years to come.
    Glad to know another newbie out there feels the same way I do :)

3. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

Congrats on your new MBPs! Yes, Macs are superb machines! My MBP is now about 5 months old and I still have the same hype I had in the first week, everytime I use it! But I got a little scratch on the top lid... it is rather unnoticable but still pissed me off when I first saw it. I'm getting used to it now!

4. Benji83 macrumors newbie

I received mine last friday and I'm absolutely in love with it.
    Had a hard time this morning leaving it at home to go to work, back to the crappy ole' windows machine on my crappy desk.
    I adore the simplicity of the whole OS, the design, the screen, everything about it.
    Had to figure a few things out (e.g. I couldn't just import my home shot movie files in iMovie, had to convert them first to a format it will accept, but that's no biggie) but starting to get the hang of it.

I'm very very happy with my return to Mac (had some oldies a few years back)

5. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

me too...

Glad you guys love your new Macs, and OSX. I'm now approaching the first birthday of my MBP, and I love it more now than the day I opened it up and booted it up for the first time. It's been so reliable, so quiet, so solid, so smooth - like driving a Lexus. The thing is, it still looks great, and I don't really baby it. I pound on it for hours every day, toss it in and out of my backpack several times daily, and it feels barely broken in. It's not the new unibody version, but it is really so well built, and everything seems balanced - the power, size, weight, ergonomics, display, OS and software. It always recognizes anything I plug in. I wish I had a couple spare ones stashed in my closet for when this one finally wears out, it's that good.

6. gathart thread starter macrumors regular

It is so comfortable. i mean I literally can do photoshop, work on a wrod doc, while it updates itself and listen to the radio. Prev this always caused problems. My wife will become a Mac-widow, but so what it is worth it!:D

7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

...while you're burning a dvd, downloading a hi-def tv show, and watching a final-four game live on the web... and other stuff... it's nice to not have to really think about it.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I've only managed to crash my Unibody once, when i was encoding a movie in handbrake, playing COD4, and downloading a torrent in Vuze and running a virtual machine with Windows 7 open running Visual Studio 08, and another virtual machine open running BackTrack 4 :p The aluminium case got so hot it burned me!

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the hype doesnt go away even after 3 years (mines nearly that age) :):).

scratches cant hurt that baby, dont even worry haha.

10. janstett macrumors 65816

If scratches bother you as much as they do me, don't even take your Apple gear out of the box until you get Invisible Shield for it (started with iPods, but I even shielded by Unibody MBP). I even have the annoying keyboard condom so I only use the keyboard "naked" when my hands are freshly washed.

11. janstett macrumors 65816

I upgraded to a unibody, but I was one of those guys who pre-ordered the 1st gen Macbook Pro when they were announced in January 2006. I used that machine every day until I replaced it with the unibody, and now it's on 24/7 in my house as an iTunes server and household general purpose machine.

Over that time it picked up a dent next to the express card slot, the hard drive had to be replaced (died from overheating), and now the fan makes a grinding sound like the bearings are going. But the machine has been used every single day for more than 3 years and has no problems otherwise.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im sorry but thats just too much effort IMO, i used clean hands and stuff, but im not that fussy about it all..each to his own i guess

13. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

The Invisible Shield would have not protected the MBP from the scratch as it is located at the edge of the lid... but still I think an Invisible Shield would be a good investment in the protection of the machine.

Now this made me laugh! :D

14. macgrl macrumors 65816

Hope that you get many years of fun out of it. I love my mbp:)

15. Skika macrumors 68030

Another happy UMBP user here. Got mine two week back and i simply love it! No problems whatsoever, i use it for almost everything, web, itunes, hd movies, gaming in windows, and music production.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

we need more people like you posting lol! shut all those "MACS ARE CRAP QUALITY" feens up

17. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I have had mine for just over two weeks and absolutely love this machine.

18. atheros07 macrumors member

My 15" Unibody MBP is two weeks old now (my first Mac), and it has just been like butter--- easy setup, easy installation of programs, easy networking, lightning quick. What's amazing is how it's easier for my Mac to network with a Windows machine. I thought it would be a huge hassle for me to copy files to the MBP... with two Windows computers, I had to always dig around in My Network Places or whatever, and they still would never connect or the connection would freeze. With my new MBP, I just opened Finder when I booted up the computer for the very first time, and amazingly, there was my old Windows machine on the sidebar, ready for Sharing without me having to lift a finger.

It's these small touches that make me a really satisfied customer and make me never want to ever go back to Windows. I now enjoy bringing my MBP to school every day so that I can show it off next to other people's clunky Lenovos or Toshibas. :)

19. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

I had a 12" previously, and I think the 15" is actually more portable because of it's thinness. A 15" footprint isn't as large as one would think, and it's not very heavy when in a backpack on my back. My old 12", however, was so thick that it was hard to get much else in my backpack without the worry of squishing it. Had the 15" been the standard 1.5"-2.5" thick, it'd be a different story, but the weight and thickness makes it a perfect portable without having to sacrifice screen real estate. Too bad my standards are set really high now for size vs power ;)

20. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I´ve had the 17" for a month. It has not dissapointed me, in fact this machine is still growing on me. The best notebook I ever owned, hands down.

P

21. wildintheory macrumors newbie

MY UMBP is only a few days old and I can't believe how much I love it. I had a UMB for a week and while that was the perfect form factor, I haven't fiddled with the screen once on the Pro. It is blazingly fast and is going to be my constant companion. I'm rearranging my desk at work to integrate it into my work flow here as well.

The coolest part was that I used Super Duper! to create a bootable backup of my MB before I returned it and then restored that to the MBP. I was back to my configured state within 15 minutes of getting it out of the box. Can't beat that!

22. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Gotta love my new rig. I still cannot get over the big improvements over the older notebooks. However, I would be remiss if I did not add that I am still enjoying my older Apple notebooks, as well. These things simply do not quit and continue to perform as when they were new. I cannot say the same about my previous Dells, Toshibas, and Sonys.

23. Benji83 macrumors newbie

Don't get me wrong, I am really carefull with my expensive stuff but I think invisible shield and such is too much of a hassle.
    Remember, it is a laptop, it is being used, it will eventually get some markings. This doesn't bother me too much. Ofcourse, a scratch on a new machine sucks but if you are carefull with it, it won't happen anyway.
    I am not going to put any coating or protective film on anything as it will only cost you more and more money and I think it looks bad. They call it invisible shield or whatever, you will always see it is there. I had a cellphone with a protective layer over it and it just looked awefull, I hated it and worst of all, it did scratch through the layer which made it look even worse because you could easily notice(even more than before the scratch) the plastic layer and you cannot get it off without damaging your product even more.

Even though it is a €2000+ machine, it will eventually have usage markings. Who cares? They still stay pretty! ;)

I am loving it more and more each day. Starting to find my way around iMovie now and I was shocked at how easy it works! Thinking back to the program I used on my windows laptop I really wonder how I could have ever lived with it :p

24. janstett macrumors 65816

I've been putting Invisible Shield on all my new Apple gear since my 2nd or 3rd iPod because the chrome back to the classic iPod gets scratched too easily. I once got a black iPod that immediately went into a leather holder and it was scratched like it was a hockey puck despite never coming out of the holder. From that point on I decided it was worth it.

If you don't apply it properly, it can look bad. The shield for the iPhone is too countoured and has too many folds on the edge that I just gave up on it and removed it (it doesn't damage anything). When applied carefully and correctly, it makes the device look almost wet. I have a black 5th gen iPod that I did perfectly, it looks as perfect as the day I got it, and when it's cleaned up it looks almost wet. Similarly I got the Macbook Pro applied almost perfectly, it doesn't really change the look at all (maybe you have seen cheap imitations not the name brand Invisible Shield) but could be said to look slightly wet. And I've removed old Invisible Shields many times, it doesn't damage anything.

The Macbooks and Powerbooks, with their enormous real estate, make the user put his palms 1/3 of the way up the laptop. If you wear a watch, you are guaranteed to get scratches on the palm rest area.

I used my 1st gen Macbook Pro every day for two and a half years, and the finish has dulled due to scratching, from wear and tear and even just putting it in and out of the messenger bag.

It's not for everybody, just saying when it's done right, it looks quite good.

25. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I'm glad everybody is enjoying their Macs months and even years they bought it. It is good to know there are still people who appreciate their machines even if it is not the greatest and latest anymore. I have owned 2 Powerbooks and a Macbook Pro and so far they have been very solid and reliable machines! Never sold them and have no plan too. I'm going to use these babies until they can't be used anymore.