wow i couldn't be anymore confused :/

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KingScooty, Nov 1, 2007.

1. KingScooty macrumors member

Ok so here's my situation.. please help!!! lol

I'm currently doing alot of graphic design (photoshop) and flash coding/design on an old dated pc.

I really want to upgrade, but i HATE windows. I was checking out the macbooks and the imacs today and decided, since leopard is completely awesome, i'd invest in a 24" iMac. I've heard so much hype about them and how the majority of people in the industry use them for graphic design.

However, the price of the 2.4ghz Dual core imac is about 1250 with 2gb ram. Now if i compare that to a PC of the same price, i seem to be getting a MUCH more powerful bang per buck.

I'd love to get a mac, but i can't see why i'd pay so much money just for the operating system.

Can you all give me your reasons for picking the mac? Especially why it's so geared towards graphic design etc.

Here's the spec of the pc i was checking out (It costs 1099):

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

+Webcam right? +30days phone support? + A highly superior OS, especially for design? +The beauty of an iMac?

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Actually, I think the current Macs are excellent value. The other factor is that they hold their value well - a 4 year-old PC is worth approximately squat, but I just sold a 4 year-old G5 on eBay for £500.

I've been using a mixture of PCs and Macs for a very long time and the long-term cost of ownership for a Mac is most definitely lower.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Please not another one of these.
    If you want a Mac, buy a Mac. If not, get a PC.
    It's really pretty easy.

This has all the symptoms of 'early-troll-thread-itis'.

5. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

How the hell are you comparing a PC with no monitor to one with one, to begin with? Price a system out with a 24" LCD of EQUAL quality and components and you will see the price is very close.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Your PC does not include the 24" H-IPS LCD monitor that the iMac has. Add that in the iMac starts to look a lot better value for money.

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I think they're trying to compare it to a Mac Pro. (With the Quad processors and all.)

Still, just keep moving along and don't encourage them.
    :p

8. KingScooty thread starter macrumors member

Is the graphics card in the imac PCI express or agp??

Also, does the OS handle applications in memory alot better than a PC?

I've never owned a mac so i'm just doing my research so i get the right one. I can't spend too much but i want a powerful pc that'll last a long time. From what tersono said, that's a good thing :)

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

PCIe.

Memory handling is Mac OS X is the same as just about any Unix operating system.

I would say so.

It'll last as long as a PC of the same spec, if not longer. Macs are generally still useful 5 years down the line. In fact I am typing this now on my 6 year old Powerbook G3.

10. KingScooty thread starter macrumors member

Sorted! :) Thanks alot! Are you running leopard on your powerbook? :)

11. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

That would be nice, but unfortunately G3s aren't supported.

12. KingScooty thread starter macrumors member

:(

Leading on to my last quick question.. what's the upgradability like??

If i wanted to upgrade graphics card or ram, how easy/hard is it? Wiill i void the warranty even if i get an apple expert to do it??

Cheers again!

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

RAM is easy.
    Hard drive is quite difficult.
    Graphics card is next to impossible unless you want to take your entire computer to pieces (including the screen).

Edit : No I'm running Panther on this laptop (10.3.9) I believe it is the last officially supported version of OS X for this computer. Still runs okay with 192MBs of RAM and a 4GB hard drive.

14. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I couldn't agree more.
    The iMac is definitely priced very well, when you consider it has a monitor, keyboard, mouse, webcam and superior OS included.

However, if you already own all those things it surely is difficult because Apple lacks a mid range Mac without a monitor (like the Mac Pro, but cheaper).

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Seems like you answered your own question.

16. Can macrumors member

RAM is very easy to upgrade, a little screw and your all set. Changing other parts however is a bit more advanced and to my knowledge destroy any warranty.

Also it is important to remember that you get bluetooth, a built in web cam, airport extreme Wi-Fi card, an IR port+apple remotecontrol (Front row), a killer 24inch screen and you save space as it is "all in one". :)

17. KingScooty thread starter macrumors member

Yea i had all those things lol. Still will probably invest tho.

How easy is it to change the ram btw?? Can i do it myself without voiding the warranty? Or do i just buy the ram and give it to an apple guy to do??

Also if i have a 5.1 digital sound system, what's the sound like from the built in amplifier of the imac? As good as other sound cards around? :)

Thanks again guys :)

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Forget the built in amp and use the optical out. :D

19. KingScooty thread starter macrumors member

so if i optical out to my av reciever everything's awesome? :)

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Should be although I haven't personally tried it as I use my Airport Express to connect to my receiver.

You will need a Toslink mini to regular optical out though and those are a tad hard to find.
    Amazon.com does have them though. Or if you already have an optical cable then you can just get a mini adatper

21. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Macs are made so that every piece of hardware is seamlessly integrated into one another. You feel like you're using one piece of hardware instead of a cheap monitor connected to a cheap mother board which came with an incompatible graphics card and an outdated hard drive. If you just want a computer that works, get a Mac. I think that's why most graphic designers use them, because they spend a lot less time having to deal with their computer and more time doing their work.