wow i couldn't be anymore confused :/

KingScooty

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester, England
Ok so here's my situation.. please help!!! lol

I'm currently doing alot of graphic design (photoshop) and flash coding/design on an old dated pc.

I really want to upgrade, but i HATE windows. I was checking out the macbooks and the imacs today and decided, since leopard is completely awesome, i'd invest in a 24" imac. I've heard so much hype about them and how the majority of people in the industry use them for graphic design.

However, the price of the 2.4ghz Dual core imac is about 1250 with 2gb ram. Now if i compare that to a PC of the same price, i seem to be getting a MUCH more powerful bang per buck.

I'd love to get a mac, but i can't see why i'd pay so much money just for the operating system.

Can you all give me your reasons for picking the mac? Especially why it's so geared towards graphic design etc.

Here's the spec of the pc i was checking out (It costs 1099):

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 GO 2.40GHz Quad Core CPU Overclocked too a minimum of 3.30GHz and beyond. (8/9 x 400MHz - 1600MHz FSB)
- Tuniq Tower 120 Pro Blue LED Intel approved cooler
- Arctic Silver 5 Heatsink compound professionally hand installed by our technicians
- Abit IP35-Pro Intel P35 (Socket LGA775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
- Award winning Crucial 2GB PC2-8500 CAS5 (2x1GB) Dual Channel Kit (Overclocked at 1000MHz+) (Note when upgrading to 4GB overclock drops to 3.25GHz on CPU)
- 500GB Western Digital 16MB Cache SATA-2 Hard Drive
- NVIDIA 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 VIVO HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) DirectX 10 Graphics Card
- Pioneer 112DBK 18x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
- Antec NINE HUNDRED Gamers ATX Case
- OCZ 850W Next Generation Power Supply

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Actually, I think the current Macs are excellent value. The other factor is that they hold their value well - a 4 year-old PC is worth approximately squat, but I just sold a 4 year-old G5 on eBay for £500.

I've been using a mixture of PCs and Macs for a very long time and the long-term cost of ownership for a Mac is most definitely lower.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Please not another one of these.
If you want a Mac, buy a Mac. If not, get a PC.
It's really pretty easy.

This has all the symptoms of 'early-troll-thread-itis'.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
How the hell are you comparing a PC with no monitor to one with one, to begin with? Price a system out with a 24" LCD of EQUAL quality and components and you will see the price is very close.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
How the hell are you comparing a PC with no monitor to one with one, to begin with? Price a system out with a 24" LCD of EQUAL quality and components and you will see the price is very close.
I think they're trying to compare it to a Mac Pro. (With the Quad processors and all.)

Still, just keep moving along and don't encourage them.
:p

KingScooty

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester, England
Is the graphics card in the imac PCI express or agp??

Also, does the OS handle applications in memory alot better than a PC?

I've never owned a mac so i'm just doing my research so i get the right one. I can't spend too much but i want a powerful pc that'll last a long time. From what tersono said, that's a good thing :)

Cromulent

macrumors 603
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Is the graphics card in the imac PCI express or agp??
PCIe.

Also, does the OS handle applications in memory alot better than a PC?
Memory handling is Mac OS X is the same as just about any Unix operating system.

I would say so.

I've never owned a mac so i'm just doing my research so i get the right one. I can't spend too much but i want a powerful pc that'll last a long time. From what tersono said, that's a good thing :)
It'll last as long as a PC of the same spec, if not longer. Macs are generally still useful 5 years down the line. In fact I am typing this now on my 6 year old Powerbook G3.

KingScooty

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester, England
PCIe.

Memory handling is Mac OS X is the same as just about any Unix operating system.

I would say so.

It'll last as long as a PC of the same spec, if not longer. Macs are generally still useful 5 years down the line. In fact I am typing this now on my 6 year old Powerbook G3.
Sorted! :) Thanks alot! Are you running leopard on your powerbook? :)

KingScooty

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester, England
That would be nice, but unfortunately G3s aren't supported.
:(

Leading on to my last quick question.. what's the upgradability like??

If i wanted to upgrade graphics card or ram, how easy/hard is it? Wiill i void the warranty even if i get an apple expert to do it??

Cheers again!

Cromulent

macrumors 603
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
:(

Leading on to my last quick question.. what's the upgradability like??

If i wanted to upgrade graphics card or ram, how easy/hard is it? Wiill i void the warranty even if i get an apple expert to do it??

Cheers again!
RAM is easy.
Hard drive is quite difficult.
Graphics card is next to impossible unless you want to take your entire computer to pieces (including the screen).

Edit : No I'm running Panther on this laptop (10.3.9) I believe it is the last officially supported version of OS X for this computer. Still runs okay with 192MBs of RAM and a 4GB hard drive.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Actually, I think the current Macs are excellent value. The other factor is that they hold their value well - a 4 year-old PC is worth approximately squat, but I just sold a 4 year-old G5 on eBay for £500.

I've been using a mixture of PCs and Macs for a very long time and the long-term cost of ownership for a Mac is most definitely lower.
I couldn't agree more.
The iMac is definitely priced very well, when you consider it has a monitor, keyboard, mouse, webcam and superior OS included.

However, if you already own all those things it surely is difficult because Apple lacks a mid range Mac without a monitor (like the Mac Pro, but cheaper).

Can

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2007
RAM is very easy to upgrade, a little screw and your all set. Changing other parts however is a bit more advanced and to my knowledge destroy any warranty.

Also it is important to remember that you get bluetooth, a built in web cam, airport extreme Wi-Fi card, an IR port+apple remotecontrol (Front row), a killer 24inch screen and you save space as it is "all in one". :)

KingScooty

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester, England
I couldn't agree more.
The iMac is definitely priced very well, when you consider it has a monitor, keyboard, mouse, webcam and superior OS included.

However, if you already own all those things it surely is difficult because Apple lacks a mid range Mac without a monitor (like the Mac Pro, but cheaper).
Yea i had all those things lol. Still will probably invest tho.

How easy is it to change the ram btw?? Can i do it myself without voiding the warranty? Or do i just buy the ram and give it to an apple guy to do??

Also if i have a 5.1 digital sound system, what's the sound like from the built in amplifier of the imac? As good as other sound cards around? :)

Thanks again guys :)

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Macs are made so that every piece of hardware is seamlessly integrated into one another. You feel like you're using one piece of hardware instead of a cheap monitor connected to a cheap mother board which came with an incompatible graphics card and an outdated hard drive. If you just want a computer that works, get a Mac. I think that's why most graphic designers use them, because they spend a lot less time having to deal with their computer and more time doing their work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.