Wow, I just realized I do not need 3G/Edge for GPS Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vandam500, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I always thought about it this way:

In order to talk and surf the internet I need Wifi or 3G.

So naturally I thought in order to talk and use GPS navigation (ATT Navigator but now using Navigon) I also thought I needed to have 3G. I would always tell someone on the phone that I will call them back because I have to use the GPS to get somewhere and with 3G off most of the times off I was doing it constantly.

Today, while in the passenger seat of my car and talking on the phone with my girlfriend (With 3G off) I was playing with some apps and opened Navigon. It opened normally and I hit take me home (knowing it wasnt going to work any how but why not :p ).

Boy I was wrong, it started to calculate and give me directions like if I had 3G!!!! Wow what a surprise!!!

How many people here knew about this and how many people didn't know till now:D:D:D.

Actually, now that I think about it it makes sense that it would work since there is a GPS chip inside, haha. I always thought the GPS apps use AT&T's data, I guess not :p

2. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

The only reason iPhone needed a connection for GPS was to download maps so you could see where you were, now that there are Apps that put maps on the iPhone you don't need that connection to see where you are.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

on another note you can still use 3g if on phone so even if it was required wouldn't make a difference .

4. Magsec4 macrumors member

Wait... if you had 3G off, doesn't that mean it automatically falls back to EDGE anyways? Pretty sure there's no option to turn off data altogether...

5. Vandam500 thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Yes I know that but I didn't know that when on the phone and on edge the gps still works the same.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You do realize you don't even need EDGE, 3G, or wi-fi to use GPS, right?

7. Vandam500 thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Thats what I'm saying!!! I had no idea!!!!

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You can't use the Google Maps app while on the phone without 3G or WiFi on though.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, it only works if you have a line of sight to the satellites. So, it can be iffy at times, especially if you're in the city. That's when you'd need EDGE or 3G.

Yep, not sure what good it would be unless you already had the map available. However, you could use it with a third party app like navigon.

10. Vandam500 thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I think thats where I got the logic that GPS wont work without Edge/3G

Ah ok. So Edge/3G will improve the signal or what not :)

11. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

3g and Edge have nothing to do with GPS. The iPhone has a gps reciever in it that communicates with gps satellites to acquire your position. 3g and Edge are only useful for google maps because google maps streams the maps onto your iPhone instead of downloading them. GPS recievers come with the maps installed on them so they have no need of any data transmissions except GPS coordinates. If you open google maps with no data access it will still use your gps and know your coordinates, but it won't be able to stream any maps to your phone. When using any gps/maps app that preinstalls maps onto your iPhone, you will not need any data connection to have a fully functional gps device.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It was my understanding that EDGE/3G were used to help triangulate the position and thus speed up finding your location. Not true?

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Immensely (faster). If you turn on your phone (as long as you have good signal), go to Maps straight away, and it will find your location in about 1-3 seconds (with varying amounts of accuracy but with a good clear sky you'll have pin point in seconds). Without a cell connection, it's supposed to take >15 seconds, but it's never found my location without signal.

The idea behind Assisted GPS is that the cell network will relay information about the currently overhead satellites so that the GPS ship doesn't really have to search for the GPS signal.