Wow.. I love my iMac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ToM-RSC, Jul 24, 2010.

1. ToM-RSC macrumors member

This is a bit strange but, well, things are strange.

I've been using a MacBook since early 2008, and 2 days ago (Thursday) it went to Apple for repair (The fan had died), and so I began to use my iMac properly -- over the past 2 years or so I've had it (It's a 1.7gHz White C2D), it's been rarely used, only as a backup computer for when something doesn't work right (I'm a developer, so I like to use multiple environments for testing and debugging, too), or for use by other family members.

But since this is the only other Mac I have, I now realise how much I actually love this iMac, and has made me seriously consider my next purchase to be a 27" (Or possible refresh-equivalent) iMac, instead of a new MBP 15".

I think because I originally started on my MacBook, I was grown to it, and never really wanted to leave that environment I had setup for casual usage, however now that I am using my iMac, it actually feels a lot more comfortable to use (I sit at a desk with my MacBook anyhow).

Has anyone else switched from MBP to iMac as their primary computer, and what are the pros and cons in the long term usage?

2. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

I'm looking to replace my MBP with the upcoming iMac, perhaps not right at the refresh.. but eventually. The main reason is that my situation has changed quite a bit since I bought the MBP.. and now it's sitting on my desk 99% of the time. Having the laptop compromises when not utilizing its benefits is just a waste.

So, replacing the 15"+20" setup with a 27"+20" setup will be nice, getting more power and less noise when under stress. Looking forward to the iMac refresh! :D Just hoping to see any of eSATA/USB3/FW3200 or a simpler (warranty proof) way to exchange the internal disk.

3. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Originally had a MBP 15inch. Had it for about 7 months before I decided it wasn't for me and I always went back to my desktop (PC) which has VM with OSX. I personally wasn't a laptop user, and I'm defiantly getting the new imac when refreshed.

4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I would say the desktop experience is far superior. Unless you are a road warrior due to work, that hardly spends time at home, a desktop makes more sense.

Not only do you get far more bang for your buck in terms of specs, you also get a much nicer screen (larger and better quality).

It makes no sense to sacrifice a beautiful large screen (21.5 or 27 inch versus 13, 15, or 17 which is borderline not portable anymore anyway) and so much speed/specs for the 80% or 90% of the time you use the computer just to accommodate the 10% or 20% you are on the go.

I use an iPad for on the go computing. I find with iWork I can quickly take notes at meetings, edit and e-mail out documents, and even surf the net. It is much better than a netbook and even lighter to and easier to travel with than a Macbook or Macbook Pro.

While not always ideal, I am willing to hassle myself during the rare occasion I need to do work on the go for the luxury of having a beautiful system at home, where I am 90% of the time and get 99% of my serious work done.

I think even if I did not have the iPad, I would rather buy a $199 netbook on the go if I absolutely MUST have a computer with me at all times (which no one really does, unless your job calls for it) and keep my iMac rather than sacrifice my iMac and be doomed to a 13 inch screen.