Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I've never realized until today what a nice quiet photography forum Macrumors has! I've chimed in a few times on things but never really talked much since I'm in a photography slump at the moment (I go through phases where I love it and do it all day, then phases where I don't touch my camera for months, just like all of my interests).

Anyway I used to be on the fredmiranda forums all the time until it got very "clique-ish" and you couldn't critique anyones picture without being accused of heresy or you couldn't mention your gear without brand loyalists trying to point out its flaws and why their gear is superior (even though their pictures are not ;) )

Its refreshing to come here and see camera gear not mattering, constructive criticism being accepted, and no cliques of people who think they are flawless photographers.

I'll have to dig my camera out (5D Mark II) and my favorite lens (35mm 1.4L) and start taking some pics to post :)

legreve

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Denmark
Could you look briefly to the left while I snag your 35... :)
I'm wanting to fill up the stock with something else than highend zooms. The 35 would be a nice start...

Last edited by a moderator:

wisty

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
Alpha-geeks can either be insufferable micro-optimizers (think comic-book-guy - "that 1.4 35mm is the *worst* lens *ever*"); or pragmatists who aren't at all insecure about using a tool that's good enough for the job ("don't worry about the camera, worry about the photo") and have the technical knowledge to shout down micro-optimizers.

Fortunately, the second kind is much more prevalent here.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Could you look briefly to the left while I snag your 35... :)
I'm wanting to fill up the stock with something else than highend zooms. The 35 would be a nice start...

Lol! Its a GREAT lens. No regrets at all in buying it. Its so sharp. Here is a section of a pic before any post processing is done, and you can still see all of the individual hairs. It looks even better after selectively sharpening the hair. (I don't sharpen the whole picture for obvious reasons :p )

EDIT: Ok image uploading did a number to my picture. Its much much sharper on my screen.

Alpha-geeks can either be insufferable micro-optimizers (think comic-book-guy - "that 1.4 35mm is the *worst* lens *ever*"); or pragmatists who aren't at all insecure about using a tool that's good enough for the job ("don't worry about the camera, worry about the photo") and have the technical knowledge to shout down micro-optimizers.

That is what I like. The fredmiranda forums (not to sound like I'm bashing) is too full of people who don't understand the phrase "a poor artist blames his tools". Here I noticed everyone is concerned about the image and getting great results without the best gear and I like that. It takes everything back to the fundamentals of photography.

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    647.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands

I bet you used a very inadequate keyboard to type that. Here, have mine, it's got number keys up to 11! :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I take around 1 good photograph a year (using a 350D and stock lens, all I can afford) but as an observer of these photography boards; it's ace.

legreve

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Denmark
Lol! Its a GREAT lens. No regrets at all in buying it. Its so sharp. Here is a section of a pic before any post processing is done, and you can still see all of the individual hairs. It looks even better after selectively sharpening the hair. (I don't sharpen the whole picture for obvious reasons :p )

EDIT: Ok image uploading did a number to my picture. Its much much sharper on my screen.

Thanks for the share. But yeah, it looks nice. Was it taken on full aperture? That's what I like about the L primes is you can get an amazing type of dof straight from the shot or you can step away and get the whole infinite sharpness shot that can often look overwhelming.

I'd like to share some of my own things, but I think it easier to just go visit my site... http://www.legreve.com

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I've never realized until today what a nice quiet photography forum Macrumors has! I've chimed in a few times on things but never really talked much since I'm in a photography slump at the moment (I go through phases where I love it and do it all day, then phases where I don't touch my camera for months, just like all of my interests).

Anyway I used to be on the fredmiranda forums all the time until it got very "clique-ish" and you couldn't critique anyones picture without being accused of heresy or you couldn't mention your gear without brand loyalists trying to point out its flaws and why their gear is superior (even though their pictures are not ;) )

Its refreshing to come here and see camera gear not mattering, constructive criticism being accepted, and no cliques of people who think they are flawless photographers.

I'll have to dig my camera out (5D Mark II) and my favorite lens (35mm 1.4L) and start taking some pics to post :)

It is true that the Landscape Forum is pretty much "say something nice about mine, and I will return the favor". I have (as well as others) mentioned that, but they didn't take to kindly. Oh well

The BEST FORUM on that site is the "Alternative Gear" forum! Everyone is so helpful and nice! And there are LOTS of great photographers that frequent that forum. I spend most of my time in that forum, especially since I have no AF lenses, only MF lenses.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Thanks for the share. But yeah, it looks nice. Was it taken on full aperture? That's what I like about the L primes is you can get an amazing type of dof straight from the shot or you can step away and get the whole infinite sharpness shot that can often look overwhelming.

I'd like to share some of my own things, but I think it easier to just go visit my site... http://www.legreve.com

Wow your work is amazing! I love seeing commercial quality portraiture. I generally never shoot portraiture unless a friend (like the one in the pic above) wants facebook pictures :p

As for the shot it was at f4 but even wide open the lens is still very sharp. Much sharper than any other lens I own wide open.

That's your gear and you have to "dig it out"? :eek:

Lol I have to be in the mood for photography. I used to do it all day long, I had all the gear, lighting equipment, etc but then one day I just got bored with it. I think I saturated myself too much in it. (I even took crappy pics when I went to New Zealand because I was too lazy to frame shots, use my ND filters and tripod, and wait for good lighting :eek:) I'm slowly getting back into it though. School work often gets in the way though.

It is true that the Landscape Forum is pretty much "say something nice about mine, and I will return the favor". I have (as well as others) mentioned that, but they didn't take to kindly. Oh well

The BEST FORUM on that site is the "Alternative Gear" forum! Everyone is so helpful and nice! And there are LOTS of great photographers that frequent that forum. I spend most of my time in that forum, especially since I have no AF lenses, only MF lenses.

I used to hang on the site for years, and liked the landscape, and wedding photography forum until certain user cliques started getting active and bashing anyone offering CC (on many different threads). I never got any direct attacks but the whole thing was off putting so I left. There was also the constant gear bashing if you didn't have a 1Ds Mark III (which I've used extensively, and I still bought the 5D2 instead because I like the quality of the pictures better. Personal preference, yet I was told I was wrong LOL.) Occasionally I will pop in to see whats going on but not often.

Thats why I was so surprised that this forum is all about the pictures not the gear and I LOVE it. I'll have to dig through my stash and see if I find anything worthy of posting (that pic above is not something I'd normally post especially since its not edited. I don't like the pose but its what my friend wanted). Sadly I lost many of my pictures that I took due to a psycho sister destroying my hard drives but now that I'm getting that photography itch again I may have some stuff to post soon :)

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I must say that in my experience, I actually think FM is one of the best sites to "photo-share", as the C&C given/received there is the most specific and constructive that I have seen anywhere. Most places it's just "nice shot" and "wow". At FM you get that too but I also see a good amount of "that's great, but you seem to have too much cyan in your shot" or "nice comp, but the reds are a little oversaturated" or "I like the pic overall but maybe clone out that tree or crop out those branches encroaching on the side of the frame".

I have read about the "cliques" too but have not come across any of that in the time I have spent there.

Ruahrc

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK

I like it on here too. It's a great group of people. They're like friends that you've never met. Hope you dust off your camera gear and post some photos for us!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Not much in the way of photo and brand snobbery here. I don't think it would be too well received. Heck, I spent about a year submitting photos here from a couple of point and shoot cameras, calling it informally my Point 'n Shoot project. I was challenged by the idea of trying to see where the actual equipment was limiting my ability to make the images I wanted to make, and to see how well I could compensate for that... sometimes fairly well, other times not so well, but it was fun. There are so many ways to approach photography that it seems a shame to get hung up on equipment and specs.

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
Lol I have to be in the mood for photography. I used to do it all day long, I had all the gear, lighting equipment, etc but then one day I just got bored with it. I think I saturated myself too much in it. (I even took crappy pics when I went to New Zealand because I was too lazy to frame shots, use my ND filters and tripod, and wait for good lighting :eek:) I'm slowly getting back into it though. School work often gets in the way though.

Well here, I'll send you out my 7D so it can sit in your closet and you can send me out your 5DmkII. At least someone should be using that body. :p

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
photosig.com is a GREAT place for feedback, as it is really a feedback based site.

Xeep

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
I just discovered this forum and have been lurking for the past week. I really like it and may one day start contributing. :p

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
That's because the Nikon shooters here know their equipment is inferior and don't want to talk about it. ;)

Yup, we just think more about what we can do with our equipment, and let other folks stand around hoping everyone notices the name on the strap around their neck, and then comes up to ask them about their "equipment."

And then there's that line from some old song..., "it ain't the meat, it's the motion." ;)

Funny enough, whatever camera I'm using at the moment is the best, because it's the one I have with me. My little, cheap Lumix point and shoot will attest to that. :)

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Yup, we just think more about what we can do with our equipment, and let other folks stand around hoping everyone notices the name on the strap around their neck, and then comes up to ask them about their "equipment."

And then there's that line from some old song..., "it ain't the meat, it's the motion." ;)

Funny enough, whatever camera I'm using at the moment is the best, because it's the one I have with me. My little, cheap Lumix point and shoot will attest to that. :)
Fully agreed, a picture missed will not be retaken by a camera that is at home :)

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
If it comes down to kit snobbery, I recommend you check out the user Doylem who uses standard kit and takes some of the best photos around.

I've been absent from the forum for about a year due to being away with work then my kids smashing my Alpha:rolleyes:, now back in the game with a Canon so hope to post again soon.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

This is why I use no neck strap, simply a hand strap attached to the battery grip ;) (Although the red rings on my lenses usually give away what I am shooting with and I get asked anyway :rolleyes:

If it comes down to kit snobbery, I recommend you check out the user Doylem who uses standard kit and takes some of the best photos around.

I've been absent from the forum for about a year due to being away with work then my kids smashing my Alpha:rolleyes:, now back in the game with a Canon so hope to post again soon.

Kit lenses can produce some great results. They aren't my first choice due to their slowness (and I'm always shooting in low light) but in a pinch they will work just as well for most things.

And that sucks about your camera :(

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

The fact that he shoots Nikon doesn't enter into it... ;) <just kidding... sorta>

Seriously... it doesn't have anything to do with it. I really mean that. Since Doylem can create his masterpieces with a Nikkor 18-70 (kit lens, in the sense that it was sold as a "kit" with the mid-level bodies at the time) and a several generations removed D200, then it goes to show that "it ain't the meat, it's the motion." :D It's all about what you do with your equipment that counts (or at least that's what my better half kept saying, and I always thought she was criticizing my photography.) ;)

Last edited:

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
And that sucks about your camera :(

Oh no don't be, the house insurance bought me a new one!

When I bought my first SLR I debated whether to go for a Sony or a Canon. I went for the Sony and gradually bought a few more lenses. I just found the Sony lenses to be more expensive and less available so thanks to the 'opportunity' the kids provided I've switched to Canon and will gradually exchange the lenses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.