Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qnssekr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
After owning countless iPhones and with multiple software upgrades, iOS 15.4 has finally fixed my battery draining issue, and my phone is operating as it should (I’m on iP 12). Most of my phones have been plagued with battery draining issues (I would have to charge my phone 2 to 3 times a day), overheating, and dealing with weird software glitches. Halle-fing-lujah!

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Not me. I now have a battery draining issue on my 13 Pro Max. That once stellar battery life is gone and it gets warm

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Not me. I now have a battery draining issue on my 13 Pro Max. That once stellar battery life is gone and it gets warm
Welcome to the club!

Here's what happened to mine overnight last night:

IMG_0319.png

tmsmart

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2020
Hearing that a lot, especially on 13 model. I'm on an older XS Max and I believe battery life is a little worse but not drastic. Curious what models other people are seeing significant drain on?

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
On iPhone 11 Pro it’s overall better than 15.3.1. In idle I see way more horizontal than parabolic graph ;) And Phone is less heat. Strange.

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
How did you your iPhone from 6pm onward?
IMG_0320.png

It's nonsense, really. It'll run on 1% all day too.

btw, this is what it did before that. Basically running down overnight. As I've joked before, it's almost like Apple are mining Bitcoin.

IMG_0317.png

Last edited:

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
View attachment 1976404

btw, this is what it did before that. Basically running down overnight. As I've joked before, it's almost like Apple are mining Bitcoin.

View attachment 1976408

Upgrades of IOS or OS Mac are always energy-intense.

not only the upgrade itself, also many background-activity.
After upgrades there are a lot of background-activities to adapt new features and for example completely new spotlight-searches and so on, often also new backups of the now-new apple-machines and iPhone and iPad - which is even more important when automatically set backups or data exchange with iCloud, especially when using wireless methods.
Many apps need updates as well if a new version of IOS/MacOS has been installed. The more you have apps, the more this will drain your battery by updating each of them immediately or day by day during the following weeks. If you accept that your app gives informations for optimising your apps this will result in a lot of background activity that you will not realise.

So it might be better to wait some weeks and THEN regard if the energy-consumption of a complete week with standard-use is better, worse or on par.

To reach for ,more objective arguments one should look at the apps and their energy-consumption, in IOS this is now easy.

ALL the new features of a new IOS/MAcOS don't fall from heaven, they need energy to be realised.

So even more draining some weeks later must not be "battery draining" but can be due to willingly or unwillingly execution of new features.

For example the feature "true colour" of the screen needs many calculations, IIRC.

And albeit I never ever use Bluetooth, after every IOS update I find Bluetooth ACTIVATED without any action from my side, which makes Bluetooth desperately search for other devices 24/7 ... THAT is apple´s fault.

Often people don't deactivate WLAN after upgrades which leads to desperate search of the activated WLAN 24/7 ... so just have a look at that.

I did not at all experience battery-drain on my iPhone SE models, be it a new IOS or just an upgrade-version. Just the contrary: The only change was often enough LONGER battery life...

cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Upgrades of IOS or OS Mac are always energy-intense.

not only the upgrade itself, also many background-activity.
After upgrades there are a lot of background-activities to adapt new features and for example completely new spotlight-searches and so on, often also new backups of the now-new apple-machines and iPhone and iPad - which is even more important when automatically set backups or data exchange with iCloud, especially when using wireless methods.
Many apps need updates as well if a new version of IOS/MacOS has been installed. The more you have apps, the more this will drain your battery by updating each of them immediately or day by day during the following weeks. If you accept that your app gives informations for optimising your apps this will result in a lot of background activity that you will not realise.

So it might be better to wait some weeks and THEN regard if the energy-consumption of a complete week with standard-use is better, worse or on par.

To reach for ,more objective arguments one should look at the apps and their energy-consumption, in IOS this is now easy.

ALL the new features of a new IOS/MAcOS don't fall from heaven, they need energy to be realised.

So even more draining some weeks later must not be "battery draining" but can be due to willingly or unwillingly execution of new features.

For example the feature "true colour" of the screen needs many calculations, IIRC.

And albeit I never ever use Bluetooth, after every IOS update I find Bluetooth ACTIVATED without any action from my side, which makes Bluetooth desperately search for other devices 24/7 ... THAT is apple´s fault.

Often people don't deactivate WLAN after upgrades which leads to desperate search of the activated WLAN 24/7 ... so just have a look at that.

I did not at all experience battery-drain on my iPhone SE models, be it a new IOS or just an upgrade-version. Just the contrary: The only change was often enough LONGER battery life...

cheers
With all respect, I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Reactions: revs

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
View attachment 1976404

View attachment 1976408
Have tried doing a battery recalibration. Turn off Find My Network so that when the shuts down it won’t have a small reserve of power. Turn Find My Network back on after the second run. Do it 2 times in row. Run it all the down until shuts off and leave that way over night. Leaving it in the shutdown state will make sure the battery is really depleted. Then charge all the way to 100% and leave connected to the charger for about 2 hours. Remove it from the charger and then do a second run of the same thing.

The next thing I will suggest you try is doing a Recovery Mode Update. This will put a fresh copy of the OS on your phone and won’t touch your user data.

The last thing I would suggest you do is the nuclear option. Connect your phone to a Mac computer, using a wired connection and do a manual encrypted backup via Finder or iTunes. It needs to be an encrypted backup, as that will backup everything, including any password information. After the backup do a Recovery Mode Restore. This will erase the entire contents of your phone and install a fresh copy of the latest OS to your phone. When the restore completes, restore from backup.

After that I suggest that you give Apple Care a call and see what they can suggest. They might swap out your phone.

Last edited:

jenelemond

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2022
Haven't faced such an issue till now on 12 pro max! Not sure what will happen in the upcoming days! FYI I bought it recently! And battery life is great!

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
With all respect, I don't think you know what you are talking about.
I prefer discussion using arguments and facts, you prefer evidently personal offendings.

Even if I was wrong you could present facts instead of insulting people... just like adults discuss things...?

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
I prefer discussion using arguments and facts, you prefer evidently personal offendings.

Even if I was wrong you could present facts instead of insulting people... just like adults discuss things...?
I presented plenty of facts above (and elsewhere, if you care to look). You presented a screed of baseless assertions.

And the ad hominem is all yours, matey. But hey, someone's wrong on the internet, so we're not going to get anywhere with this, so I suggest we stop.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
I presented plenty of facts above (and elsewhere, if you care to look). You presented a screed of baseless assertions.

And the ad hominem is all yours, matey. But hey, someone's wrong on the internet, so we're not going to get anywhere with this, so I suggest we stop.

"Plenty of facts??" LOL

yes, trying to discuss with you is useless indeed.

ciao

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Have tried doing a battery recalibration. Turn off Find My Network so that when the shuts down it won’t have a small reserve of power. Turn Find My Network back on after the second run. Do it 2 times in row. Run it all the down until shuts off and leave that way over night. Leaving it in the shutdown state will make sure the battery is really depleted. Then charge all the way to 100% and leave connected to the charger for about 2 hours. Remove it from the charger and then do a second run of the same thing.

The next thing I will suggest you try is doing a Recovery Mode Update. This will put a fresh copy of the OS on your phone and won’t touch your user data.

The last thing I would suggest you do is the nuclear option. Connect your phone to a Mac computer, using a wired connection and do a manual encrypted backup via Finder or iTunes. It needs to be an encrypted backup, as that will backup everything, including any password information. After the backup do a Recovery Mode Restore. This will erase the entire contents of your phone and install a fresh copy of the latest OS to your phone. When the restore completes, restore from backup.

After that I suggest that you give Apple Care a call and see what they can suggest. They might swap out your phone.
I tried all that with the last release, without success. And it's a huge amount of hassle.

I'm seeing a lot of folk with battery issues with 15.4, so I'm hoping a fix will come. Perhaps hope is the wrong word, because I'm losing faith in Apple's ability to maintain stable software. It really doesn't help that they don't provide any diagnostic tools. At least then they could collate the results to narrow down the source of the problem. After all, it could just be some unique combination of settings that is triggering this behaviour. But who knows?

I wish I could go back to iOS14 where everything was fine and dandy.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I tried all that with the last release, without success. And it's a huge amount of hassle.

I'm seeing a lot of folk with battery issues with 15.4, so I'm hoping a fix will come. Perhaps hope is the wrong word, because I'm losing faith in Apple's ability to maintain stable software. It really doesn't help that they don't provide any diagnostic tools. At least then they could collate the results to narrow down the source of the problem. After all, it could just be some unique combination of settings that is triggering this behaviour. But who knows?

I wish I could go back to iOS14 where everything was fine and dandy.
Have you had your phone replaced as a possibility?

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Now my 13 Pro Max has been getting and staying warm for longer periods of time. I’ve even gotten high temp alerts multiple times. This is odd even after I do force restarts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.