Wow, just went through 3 lightning cables!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spinedoc77, Feb 11, 2014.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Hmm, what's the deal with the lightning cables. I've used them with no issues, but this last week I went through 4 of them. It seems they burnt out, when I look at the exposed lightning end it is black, just a bit charred. I initially noted this when my wife said her phone was not charging, I thought the battery was dead. After receiving the warranty replacement that one did not charge either and that's when I noticed the busted cable. It seems the cable ruined her iphone.

What's weird is that the cable for my phone was charred as well, and a few days later also stopped working. That's number 2.

Maybe there is an issue with my house wiring, although I've had these iphones powering up there for a while. The only thing I can think of is I was changing all my outlets to child proof ones and shut off and turned on the breakers several times.

The weirdest part though is cable number 3. This one was in my wifes car, where she has been using it for almost a year. It's never been out of the car, never plugged into the house. She used it one day with the replacement phone and comes home that night saying it won't charge her phone, sure enough it's blackened and charred. I put in a new cable and all was good.

All 3 cables were genuine Apple white cables, the 2 house ones were supplied by Apple power cubes that came with the phones, and the car one was supplied by a 2.1 Amp Schosche official licensed car adapter.

Is it just me, did I just have an incredibly bad streak of luck? Or are the lightning adapters risky like that?

2. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Possibly one of your batteries is defective and offering resistance to the charge. This always results in heat.

3. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Thanks. I've got some new cables and they are ok so far.

4. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I didn't see anything physically wrong with mine, but I went through a ton of cables on my iPod touch 5. They'd get flakey, then stop working entirely, while a new cable would still work.

Finally the iPod just quit syncing all together.

As a result I'm SUPER paranoid about that new connector, and wish they'd stuck with the old one or switched to MicroUSB which I've never had issues with.

My iPhone 5s has been mostly fine since October (so over 4 months now) BUT I'm going completely overboard trying to baby that connector. I've got 4 cradles in various places that I'm using so that the connector can NEVER touch anything else accidentally, and I've decided if my 5s goes the way my iPod did, I'm not replacing it. (Despite having a 5s I actually switched to a new iPod Classic for all my media/podcasts anyway LOL)

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'd check the actual lightning port. It sounds like you may have something small in there that's bridging the pins and causing a short. Contrary to what another poster wrote, a warming battery isn't going to create soot (the charring you're describing), but an arc from a short definitely will. Take a peek and see if you can hit it with some compressed air.

Also, microUSB is a terrible alternative as it only supports power, and slow syncing. It doesn't allow for features such as movie streaming which is why you see those phones that have two ports (microUSB and microHDMI) to do the same thing that the lightning does. A lot of accessories rely on the additional pinouts of the lightning connector, same reason there used to be 30 pins in the old one, microUSB just doesn't cut it.

6. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Not sure what you mean by slow syncing. I'd assume it at least supports USB 2.0...

Not sure what you mean by movie streaming? Can't be many people who do that-even if you actually were from iOS, you'd probably be using airplay?

At any rate I'd vastly prefer microUSB or the old connector...

7. 869639 macrumors 6502

Maybe its your charger....it too can be defective [esp if it was ever mixed with any knock off ones]

8. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Yeah I've got some knock off chargers in the mix, I've got so many chargers/cables in the house, office, car, etc. I wish Apple made a dock like with the old iphones. Anyone suggest a decent licensed dock that is small?

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MF030ZM/A/iphone-5s-dock

10. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

The 30 pin connector needed to be retired (so long).

Give a year or two, they'll have perfected lightning by then.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No idea. I've never had problems with any of mine. Other have certainly had cable failures though.

12. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77