Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
"looking for raid" brought new life to the game for me. I can do the raid fights when they fit in my schedule. they're easy enough where one crappy player wont sink you. the gears all the same (except item level) so you can still look cool. its good enough for me :)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
"looking for raid" brought new life to the game for me. I can do the raid fights when they fit in my schedule. they're easy enough where one crappy player wont sink you. the gears all the same (except item level) so you can still look cool. its good enough for me :)

I was looking forward to LFR, but it turned out to be a disappointment for me. The only thing it has in common with actual raids is number of participants.

Sometimes I forget how terrible people can be at PvE when they fail even in this "retard mode" raiding.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I was looking forward to LFR, but it turned out to be a disappointment for me. The only thing it has in common with actual raids is number of participants.

Sometimes I forget how terrible people can be at PvE when they fail even in this "retard mode" raiding.

It is pretty tame, I get that its set up so that a few people making mistakes won't wipe you but all the boss fights you can almost ignore all the boss mechanics that would kill you and just power through following the kill order.

It is nice to see the fights and see what you SHOULD be doing in a normal mode so you know what to expect but the majority of people dont follow the mechanics at all.

I killed Deathwing in LFR the other night and it was the most underwhelming thing ever, luckily I have a proper normal mode raid tonight so I'm sure it will be a bit more challenging at least.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
It is pretty tame, I get that its set up so that a few people making mistakes won't wipe you but all the boss fights you can almost ignore all the boss mechanics that would kill you and just power through following the kill order.

It is nice to see the fights and see what you SHOULD be doing in a normal mode so you know what to expect but the majority of people dont follow the mechanics at all.

I killed Deathwing in LFR the other night and it was the most underwhelming thing ever, luckily I have a proper normal mode raid tonight so I'm sure it will be a bit more challenging at least.

It would actually be ok if it didn't affect other difficulties, but I am afraid part of why Deathwing was so boring is because more interesting/dangerous mechanics in normal/heroic fight wouldn't be suitable for LFR.

Take Lich king for example, even if they dumb it down it still would be impossible in your average LFR group, but that would make the fight a very boring "Patchwerk".

So, I think that at least in the current tier, the LFR is actually hurting the quality of other raid difficulties. Maybe in Pandaland Blizz will figure out a way to make it less of an issue, but somehow I don't believe it.

Many who raid heroics hoped that the introduction of LFR would allow blizz to tune normal and heroic modes higher, but instead it turned out that it wasn't the case. Normals are even easier than pre-nerf T12 and heroic Ragnaros eats Deathwing for breakfast difficulty-wise.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
It would actually be ok if it didn't affect other difficulties, but I am afraid part of why Deathwing was so boring is because more interesting/dangerous mechanics in normal/heroic fight wouldn't be suitable for LFR.

Take Lich king for example, even if they dumb it down it still would be impossible in your average LFR group, but that would make the fight a very boring "Patchwerk".

So, I think that at least in the current tier, the LFR is actually hurting the quality of other raid difficulties. Maybe in Pandaland Blizz will figure out a way to make it less of an issue, but somehow I don't believe it.

Many who raid heroics hoped that the introduction of LFR would allow blizz to tune normal and heroic modes higher, but instead it turned out that it wasn't the case. Normals are even easier than pre-nerf T12 and heroic Ragnaros eats Deathwing for breakfast difficulty-wise.

This is the first raiding I have done since a 14 month break, I had geared myself up for LFR to be awful, as in constant wipes and in fighting but all that happened was a big zerg on every fight, the only reason I have wiped in it was really poor dps which were then voted out and new dps came in and we killed everything.

I have my first proper raid tonight with my guild so it will be interesting to see how much different it is to the zergfest that is LFR, the first 4 bosses even on heroic modes don't look too difficult, I think the hardest bit is the spine of deathwing and having the DPS to nuke down ultraxion on heroic. However as soon as the 10% 15% buffs etc are introduced I would imagine a lot more guilds will pass these bosses.

Killing the final boss in a zerg like fashion was just lame though, I raided for about 3 months in ICC and I killed everything up to Lich King, I still haven't killed him but I feel I got a much better experience in ICC working towards that than just zerging deathwing in LFR.

I actually thought ICC had it nailed, casual players and randoms could easily take out the first 4 bosses, then later the next 3 once the nerfs kicked in. I don't think it was necessary for LFR to have you kill the end boss of the expansion, maybe the first 4-6 but you should have something that you need to work towards. I am sure there are lots of players that will kill DW in LFR and think thats them completed the game and stop playing.

It is weird, I would be happy if LFR was just normal mode, I would rather wipe a few times while people picked up the actual tactics than just zerg everything in the instance.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
This is the first raiding I have done since a 14 month break, I had geared myself up for LFR to be awful, as in constant wipes and in fighting but all that happened was a big zerg on every fight, the only reason I have wiped in it was really poor dps which were then voted out and new dps came in and we killed everything.

I actually thought ICC had it nailed, casual players and randoms could easily take out the first 4 bosses, then later the next 3 once the nerfs kicked in. I don't think it was necessary for LFR to have you kill the end boss of the expansion, maybe the first 4-6 but you should have something that you need to work towards. I am sure there are lots of players that will kill DW in LFR and think thats them completed the game and stop playing.

You've missed a very good raid tier which was T11. It was the most difficult one according to top guilds. It had twice as many bosses as later tiers, 3 separate raids (different visuals helps the longevity of the content) and had an actual difficulty curve from easiest to hardest bosses compared to the difficulty cliff that was Firelands 6/7 to Ragnaros.

The thing ICC done better was different 10/25 lockouts. That's the biggest thing I miss from pre-cataclysm. It allowed more difficulty options for guilds, and for our guild (weak 25, strong 10) to put the entire guild in a 25 man raid, then split into 10 mans one of which went to chase realm firsts and the other to enjoy a casual normal mode.

Multiple attempts to run a decent 25 man guild in Cataclysm has failed, so we spent most the expansion running up to 4 10-mans. However, we might have as well just split the guild because there's almost no 25-man raid to connect those players together and guild chat + vent can't do much

Forgot to say that I enjoyed my class mechanics the most during ICC days ^_^

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
You've missed a very good raid tier which was T11. It was the most difficult one according to top guilds. It had twice as many bosses as later tiers, 3 separate raids (different visuals helps the longevity of the content) and had an actual difficulty curve from easiest to hardest bosses compared to the difficulty cliff that was Firelands 6/7 to Ragnaros.

The thing ICC done better was different 10/25 lockouts. That's the biggest thing I miss from pre-cataclysm. It allowed more difficulty options for guilds, and for our guild (weak 25, strong 10) to put the entire guild in a 25 man raid, then split into 10 mans one of which went to chase realm firsts and the other to enjoy a casual normal mode.

Multiple attempts to run a decent 25 man guild in Cataclysm has failed, so we spent most the expansion running up to 4 10-mans. However, we might have as well just split the guild because there's almost no 25-man raid to connect those players together and guild chat + vent can't do much

Forgot to say that I enjoyed my class mechanics the most during ICC days ^_^

I know a lot of people moan about WOTLK being too casual but for me it was the best expansion. They messed up a bit with how easy they made Naxx but Ulduar, ToC and ICC were all excellent I thought.

I completed Dragon Soul 10 man normal mode on Wednesday night with my guild, most of the fights are fun but none of them were overly difficult, the only one I had any danger on was Madness of Deathwing just due to how long it lasts and being a healer not depleting my mana. Luckily my guild were like a well oiled machine so no one was taking any extra damage.

After doing it on normal mode though I can see why LFR is tuned lower, if it was the same as normal mode no one would play it because it would be a wipefest sadly, all you need is basic coordination but most pugs don't have that.

Personally what I would rather see that LFR is some actually difficult 5 man dungeons, so they give you better gear than you get from normal heroics and vendors but they don't give you raid quality gear.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Personally what I would rather see that LFR is some actually difficult 5 man dungeons, so they give you better gear than you get from normal heroics and vendors but they don't give you raid quality gear.

That was the idea when T11 came out. Heroic dungeons returned to being "heroic" (ala TBC) and Normal were for casual folk.

Didn't turn out well, as the casual folk got used to running heroics in LK so they cried blizzard a tsunami on the forums. After numerous nerfs heroics went back to "facerollics"

However, I think the LFR is actually easier than 5 mans at this point and that for some reason doesn't feel right ^_^

EDIT: just because you've missed T11 I want you to see me and our guild do one of my favorite encounters in that tier - the Omnitron Defence System on 10 man heroic. The video is the featured one on my youtube channel (link in sig).

That fight was very chaotic and crazy, I don't think any T13 encounters compare to it. 4 bosses, 2 active at a time, each with 3 abilities randomly empowered. Each of them on their own is simple enough, but some combinations can be extremely deadly ^_^

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
That was the idea when T11 came out. Heroic dungeons returned to being "heroic" (ala TBC) and Normal were for casual folk.

Didn't turn out well, as the casual folk got used to running heroics in LK so they cried blizzard a tsunami on the forums. After numerous nerfs heroics went back to "facerollics"

However, I think the LFR is actually easier than 5 mans at this point and that for some reason doesn't feel right ^_^

EDIT: just because you've missed T11 I want you to see me and our guild do one of my favorite encounters in that tier - the Omnitron Defence System on 10 man heroic. The video is the featured one on my youtube channel (link in sig).

That fight was very chaotic and crazy, I don't think any T13 encounters compare to it. 4 bosses, 2 active at a time, each with 3 abilities randomly empowered. Each of them on their own is simple enough, but some combinations can be extremely deadly ^_^

Cool man I will take a look at it on my lunch break!

Yes LFR is easier than the HoT heroics and also Zul Gurub/Zul Aman.

I get that they have it to let people experience the content and story but killing the end boss of the expansion by ignoring the tactics and just nuking is sad. At least the normal mode kill gives a different achievement than killing it in LFR so that helps you figure out who knows the actual fight and who just steamrolled it in a pug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.