WoW Mac Client

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by JAQ619, Mar 30, 2009.

1. JAQ619 macrumors newbie

new to the Mac and I'm trying to install WoW on here using the client off the website, but keep running in to errors saying it can't read certain files. Furthest I got was 34%. Anyone have this issue or able to give advice about what I can to to prevent this? I don't want to have to walk into an apple store just to buy hardcopies of the game and waste money that way.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If you haven't upgraded already, pickup the hard copy of LK.

Is it the downloader or the installer that stops at 34% (just to make sure)?

3. JAQ619 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did upgrade back in Nov. and yes its the installer. still trying and it stops at about 6-7% now :(

4. JAQ619 thread starter macrumors newbie

heres one of many errors: (38% on installer)
    The file "/Users/Shared/Blizzard/World of Warcraft Installer/MPQs-1/Classic common/unconditional/Data#common.MPQ/Sound/Interface/PVPVictoryHordeMono.wav_" could not be opened. If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (InstallerFile::Open)

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

So you're re-installing the client? Guessing you deleted the files from the first time you installed it to save some room?

Try this first: open up the downloader again. It should then scan the entire downloaded file to make sure everything is as it should be.

Repair permissions: Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Select your start up drive. Under the first aid tab, select 'Repair Permissions'.

Lets see if that did anything.

Otherwise think of anyone who has a working downloaded copy for mac, or the physical DVD of LK.

6. JAQ619 thread starter macrumors newbie

tried all that like you said, but no luck unfortunately. Each error seems to be some type of audio file.
    As for the DVD, I do have one. But it required me to install the original and TBC. Installs went fine, except for each time I opened the app, it were as if it was just installed, which is why I went to the client. I will try it again though. before I go for the last resort and reformat the laptop.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

What do you mean by 'as if it where just installed'? Are you missing addons or something?

Is that DVD the actual LK DVD? You need to install original and BC packs because you will have to run into SW/IF/Darn and Shatt every so often. Actually, the LK installation installs an entirely new version of the entire game onto your computer, the old one was left alone for me.

Long shot: copy the installer and files to an external drive and try it from there.

8. JAQ619 thread starter macrumors newbie

what I mean by that is each time I went to play, it would show the opening movie eachtime, ask to agree to the EULA and so forth, as if I never played at all.

9. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

hmm I just used the client installer last night to install WoW again and everything worked out fine. Guessing it's some files on your comp not working together right.

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Sounds like some permissions problem here then. Where are you installing to? If you install it to a directory that you only have read permission then the client will be exactly the same after you exit the game.

Open the 'Get Info' on your 'World of Warcraft' folder. Look at the bottom of that window, does 'Me' have read and write access?

11. JAQ619 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll let you know soon as i get it installed again :D
    btw, thanks for all your help so far

12. Reaver macrumors 6502

Also make sure when you downloaded the client you got the client for Mac OSX and not windows they are different.

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Don't mention it :D I've quit the game already...if I can't play it, then I'll help others to the cause.

The installer works...if you've read this very short thread.

14. JAQ619 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I'm using the Mac one of course. Currently downloading all patches and classic from www.macgamefiles.com just in case here at work.

15. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

To be clear: you only need the LK installer, and any 3.0.#+ updaters. You do not need any classic/TBC installers. The Lich King 3.0 installer is a *complete* classic to Lich King installer.

16. JAQ619 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, read ya loud n clear. like i said - just in case(verification didnt work for it anyway) lol

17. jmnikricket macrumors member

Did you download the client as a .dmg? I've found that sometimes when you run the WoW updater from a mounted disk image, it gives you permissions errors, so I just have to copy the updater to my desktop or home directory and then run it. This might not apply at all to you, I'm not really sure. Good luck!

18. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

19. JAQ619 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for the late response guys. No, I've had no luck getting it to reinstall. So far I've tried creating new admin accts to see if profiles were corrupt - failed. I've gone and repaired permissions more times than i can remember with each profile - failed. since leopard was installed when I bought the laptop, I went ahead and reformatted with the restore disks(tiger :( ) - UTTER FAILURE. At that point it does not even open either from client download or WOTLK DVD. It sees the DVD and client just fine, only wont open/run the installer on either one. So conclusion is I now have a fujitsu paperweight. I installed a new HDD and am waiting to get leopard reinstalled. Until then, I'm sticking to my XPS

20. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

That's really odd. Sounds like you did everything right but nothing came of it. I wouldn't have thought that changing the HDD would have any affect but you could prove me wrong.

If you still have hope left, have you considered installing OS X on an external drive (USB is fine), and then try installing WoW onto that drive using OS X off that drive?

21. JAQ619 thread starter macrumors newbie

I havent gone and installed anything yet since I installed the new HDD. I did forget to mention, before I reformatted that i did try to install on my external thinking my internal was just failing on me, but still got the same errors. Conclusion is:
    corrupt OS
    Failing HDD
    Just tieing things together, I just want a fresh start and see where it goes from there. Just gotta keep being patient I guess