Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Thanks to BlackMangoTree

10gb bluray rips go down to 2.2gb with this setting, and the quality is jaw dropping. Just wanted to make a thread about how awesome BlackMangoTree is :) thanks for the code due

Hers the code, its so awesome:

ref=5:me=umh:b-adapt=2:weightp=0:direct=auto:no-dct-decimate=1:merange=32:bframes=5:subq=9:vbv-maxrate=12000:vbv-bufsize=12000

I had so many problems with blocky video, not anymore!

RandomNinjaAtk

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
So for this, did you select the Apple TV 2 preset in handbrake, and then just copy and paste this advance string into the advanced/settings area?

Or did you choose high profile or something else and then just put this in the advanced string?

Also I noticed you have one of the new macbook pros!! Mine hasn't arrived yet, but what kinda of speeds are you getting on your encodes from blu-ray material? (FPS)

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Are you using these settings to get 1080p files to play or something? Because with the latest versions of Handbrake and just using the new built in ATV2 preset with no changes, there is absolutely no blocky video even on my 60" Sony. The quality is superb.

Mr THX

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2009
Yorkshire, England
New to this but are you using a USB ext bluray drive then I assume :confused:

Agree with the poster above, few films I've put through handbrake on the new ATV2 settings are great :D

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL
Are you using these settings to get 1080p files to play or something? Because with the latest versions of Handbrake and just using the new built in ATV2 preset with no changes, there is absolutely no blocky video even on my 60" Sony. The quality is superb.

I use the same setting, the only difference is I adjust the Constant Quality setting to 18 and the rips are absolutely flawless. Im not sure about the benefits of this setting.

SLJ

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
where do I enter below string into HandBrake, thanks?

Thanks to BlackMangoTree

10gb bluray rips go down to 2.2gb with this setting, and the quality is jaw dropping. Just wanted to make a thread about how awesome BlackMangoTree is :) thanks for the code due

Hers the code, its so awesome:

ref=5:me=umh:b-adapt=2:weightp=0:direct=auto:no-dct-decimate=1:merange=32:bframes=5:subq=9:vbv-maxrate=12000:vbv-bufsize=12000

I had so many problems with blocky video, not anymore!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.