WOW! New Imac is setup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by seniorgeek, Jul 28, 2011.

1. seniorgeek macrumors member

My Imac just arrived, I set it up in a few mins. It came with Lion installed and no restore disks. I plugged in the wired keyboard and turned on the trackpad which I thought I would not like at all, plugged in my Logitech usb mouse and away I went. My first impression is totally WOW! I am a longtime pc user having built all my own computers, the Imac is totally neat, I hope my joy lasts. The experience is nothing like I have ever experienced before with any Window OS.

So any ideas on what I should tackle first? I probably need to makd a disk image or some kind of restore disk. I also need to install Lightroom 3 and maybe my Gmail account in Mail. So much to do.

The display is really nice and I am actually using the trackpad.

I want to get a new external hard drive before I use itunes and put my photos on it also.

Any tips appreciated.

2. GyroFX macrumors 6502

you can't really make disk image for restore like on a PC. you're better off backing up via time machine/carbon copy cloner on an external HD.

3. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

If you're on lion then don't worry about a recovery disk. There is already a partition of your hard drive solely to fit this purpose. You can access it at startup if you hold the option button down and boot the recovery disk instead of regular old lion.

My recommendation would be to go into settings and mess with the trackpad settings to decide what config you like the best. Personally I use tap to click, drag locking, and old school scrolling instead of that newfangled directional scrolling in lion. You may be different but just know there is a certain amount of customization available in terms of gestures.

Otherwise, just enjoy!

Got my new 27 on Tuesday (came with SL like I wanted, will wait for 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 to switch the new beast to lion). I feel like a kid in a candy store when I get home from work.

4. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Definitely get an external HDD - for critical data backups. I like using larger 3.5" HDD external units - that have their own fan / cooling system. See my signature file.

Might want to get a Backup UPS as well. I'd recommend a 850VA to 1000VA range and if using APC company, only get the Smart UPS class - which creates the cleaner pure Sine power. I hear the new iMac's don't like the typical "step approximation" power of many UPS units. If wondering, I have a APC 1300VA Backup / UPS model and love it. Install it, confirmed iMac's power panel and leave it.

Install iSlayer Nano pr ISlayer Pro widget (which is free) and monitor its internal heat. If its internal HD is above 60C, its "too hot". Apply low cost proactive tricks to keep its insides cooler.

If you use certain apps on Windows platform, try to use the same applications on Mac. For example, Sticky or Screen Print programs. Having the same key strokes or mouse clicks "as previous system" creates less immediate learning curve.

Hope these help....