Phones Wow Nokia 930 wins Camera shoot out.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jamezr, Mar 29, 2015.

1. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

This surprised me. I am not a Windows phone guy. But the camera does impress.

http://www.neowin.net/news/nokia-93...galaxy-note-4-and-one-m9-in-blind-camera-test

2. MRU, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wow Nokia 930 wins Camera shoot out.

I still own one ;) it's a great camera phone. And the Denim software brought great extra camera features.

Just a shame it's not the most comfortable phone to use and third party apps and lack of Google apps in particular make it my least used device other than camera.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427643771.193212.jpg

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, I saw that, and not taking anything away from the 930, the IP6+ didn't really improve the camera from the IP5, other then OIS. To put it another way, Apple has focused on other areas and so the camera is not performing as well as others (in some ways - OIS is a plus to be sure).

4. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Nokia has always had quality camera's in their flagship devices. The 1520, 930, and from what I have read, even the 830 have all been great shooters.

Even though the Lumia was labeled the best in a blind test, I can't imagine many people would complain about their pictures on an iPhone 5/6/6+ or a Galaxy S5/6/Note.

5. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Nokias have always been known for excellent cameras so this isn't really a shocker. Still nice to see. WP needs all the traction it can get at this point.

6. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

No surprises there TBH, Nokia have been owning in the Imaging department since the Nokia N82 circa 2007! Both their Camera hardware and software has been incredible, thanks to Damian Dinning's team (although he left). Forget the Nokia Lumia 930, the even older Nokia 808 PureView itself will have no problem crushing the latest iPhone, Galaxy and Xperias in Camera.

Its unfortunate the Lumias run WP as that camera hardware mixed with a popular mobile OS would be awesome.

7. ozaz macrumors 65816

Does anyone have details about how the photos used in these blind camera tests are captured?

Specifically,
    Is the person taking the photos a casual user or a pro photographer?
    Is the photographer using auto settings or are they free to change the settings?

This is relevant because a pro photographer may be able to get their best photos out of a phone with lots of camera settings, whilst the phone that produces best images for a non pro who always uses auto settings may be completely different.

8. Savor Suspended

Savor

Yup since using the Carl Zeiss sensors. The Nokia N73 sans Xenon had pretty good imaging quality for its time. Then they got the ball rolling with N95, N82, N8, Lumia 1020 and so on...

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5s-vs-lumia-1020-vs-dslr-elite-cameras-compared/

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well the 930 offers vastly more control over your photo from ISO and aperture, manual focus etc.. That does give it a little edge when it comes to comparing to a shot in auto mode on another device.

10. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Biggest shame is that it is exclusive to Verizon in the USA so many people cant get one.

11. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Would've been nice if Nokia made Android devices

If Nokia went the Android route oh boy would've been nice

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They did ..... Nokia X

13. vantt1 macrumors member

Would be nice if they made Google Android phones, but that's never gonna happen...