WoW on a 2.7 PM

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BConvery, Feb 28, 2009.

1. BConvery macrumors regular

I am going to get a MP when the new ones come out, but that appears to be June. We do some very light photo stuffz, but the most intensive thing I do is play Wow.....a lot. I won't even tell you how many days played I have :rolleyes:. My machine has dual 2.7 G5 processors, and X800 256MB card and 1.5 GB of RAM. It lags horribly in major cities and 25 man raids....like single digit frame rates. I've turned down most of the settings. I don't want to get a current MP....I want to wait for a Gainestown and a baller card.

If I load up some RAM and get a faster HDD would I get some improvement? I still have the original Maxtor 6B250S0.

TIA

2. sedril macrumors member

RAM and faster HD's always help, but the graphics card and your internet connection probably have the largest impact. How good is your internet connection?

3. BConvery thread starter macrumors regular

4. POLOgt macrumors member

POLOgt

Your video card is probably your weakest link, Upgrading your GPU will be the mostly beneficial addition you can do.

What size monitor are you playing on?

5. MacVidCards Suspended

The 7800GS can run circles around the X800 in gaming, see Barefeats.com for the details.

Good news is that you can get a 7800GS for around $250 on Ebay , which is less than your X800 could fetch there. So you could upgrade AND turn a profit. Not often it works out that way.

The downside is that you go will only have a DVI and a VGA output. At least DVI is good for a full 2560x1600 should you have a 30".

6. BConvery thread starter macrumors regular

I'm running a 23" ACD.....I didn't know there was another AGP video card I could use.

TY!

7. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Only a downside for those with an older ADC display, good news for everyone else though. There are a lot of displays that support both DVI and VGA, and in my case would let me hook up a second monitor. My X800's ADC port is useless to me.