WoW on iMac

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Monkaaay, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Monkaaay macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

I'm currently playing on a MBP from 2007. It runs at about 40fps but only because the effects are low. If I try and play on my 23" cinema, forget about it. So, I'm wondering how much better the experience will be on a new iMac. I want maxed settings, max 24" res, and 60+fps in raids/cities.

Edit: By the way, when I run into a city/raid currently, it gets seriously choppy.

2. puppygetsball macrumors newbie

I play WoW on my Mac (White Laptop) that I purchased in April 2008. It works very very nicely with what you want to do.

3. Monkaaay thread starter macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

Are you playing on the 13" screen?

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Can't talk to you about raid, because I don't raid, but on my 24" 3.06 GHz iMac with 8800GS video, with all setting cranked up, no full screen glow, I get well over 60 FPS at pretty much all times (even over 200 FPS often while testing, but I keep the rate capped at 30 anyway). You'll definitely get over 60 fps in cities (I haven't tried it in Dalaran, but in Orgrimmar, Stormwind, and Ironforge that's the case).

However, something about the Wrath of the Lich King expansion makes it occasionally glitchy. Not horribly so, but it happens and can drop the frame rate briefly. I *think* this is a Mac and/or video driver issue that they need to fix, and I've seen many people complain about it in forums. That's with oversampling cranked up, if I turn that off it still looks good and the frame rates can go even higher. Anyway, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 8800GS model.

That said, you may want to wait a bit because I think the iMacs will be updated before too long, maybe with LED-backlit screens.

5. puppygetsball macrumors newbie

Yep

6. Monkaaay thread starter macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

Yeah, and on the MBP itself, the game plays OK with the lower end settings. I can imagine the nicer and dedicated MB graphics card helps a lot. My concern is being able to drive a 23"+ display.

7. jmnikricket macrumors member

I have a 2.66 Ghz with the ATI Radeon 2600 Pro. I run it pretty much maxed out settings, but sometimes framerates can get down in the 20s during raids. It's usually around 40 fps, but only under ideal conditions (staring at a wall in the middle of nowhere) does it get up to 60+. Dalaran can still be <20 fps at peak hours.

So to summarize: go for the 8800GS, because the 2600 Pro can't do what your asking.

8. andylo macrumors newbie

Its best to wait for the new iMacs because I'm sure they'll do much more than what you need. :D

9. index.xp macrumors newbie

i play WOW too (Paladin and Warlock) but i just bought my first mac and im having problems configuring my mouse... u see i used to click and hold my right button to move my char (not walk... just turn it along with the camera so i keep always looking at my char's "behind") but now i cant... so how can i set my button 3 to work like right-button ?

10. Cudadown macrumors regular

It will be somewhat cumbersome to use a mighty mouse for how you play. I use the same setup to play Wow. Your best bet would be to just use your old (or get a new) regular mouse. It will work for you like you are used to.