WoW on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yamabushi, Apr 4, 2010.

1. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I have noticed some buzz on various sites regarding the possibility of a version of World of Warcraft for the iPad. There was also an April fool's fake news post about this on the gaming site Curse. Since this is being discussed on others forums I believe it is worth examining whether or not this is feasible or desirable.

My own opinion is that this could be possible with a version of WoW optimized for the iPad and that the gaming experience would be at least as good as other gaming apps using the iPhone OS. Content would need to be scaled down to avoid hogging up too much space on the iPad and graphics quality would be similarly reduced to maintain playable framerates.

There would be some novelty in using the touch interface to interact with the game if done well. Obviously it may take a bit more time to react and moving around could be more difficult using your fingers. On the other hand it could also be a lot of fun touching the display to use the action bars.

Cutting down content is not necessarily all bad as it could provide the opportunity to indulge in the retro pleasure of playing a game similar to the original version of WoW prior to the expansions. Adding a few quests and some other content unique to the iPad might make it worth checking out even for some hard core gamers addicted to mods and high end hardware.

Servers would decidedly have to be iPad only so as to keep the experience even among players in groups as well as have content appropriate for the device. This could actually be an opportunity for improving the social environment in the game. Anybody with the app and an active account should have access to the game. An identical hardware and software environment as well as its inherent limitations means that some of the elitism common among hard core players of the current game may be less common in this version. A more friendly and helpful social environment could make this a healthy niche product.

Most people who already play WoW would probably continue to primarily play the full version but a considerable number of new players might add this app and many existing players would at least buy the app out of curiosity if they own an iPad. I think it is a project worthy of serious consideration.

What do you think?

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

WoW on the iPad would be really good, and is more than possible with the iPad's hardware. However, storage seems to be the biggest problem. I think with all of the latest expansions and updates, the game takes up well over 30GB, an amount that makes even the 64GB iPad unpractical to port WoW to. There's really no way around that for the same game. The game can be heavily compressed, but it would still take up a lot of space and loading would take much longer.

3. sactownbwoy macrumors regular

I don't think it would work, the lack of a mouse is a very big limiting factor. I am sure you could touch were you need but a mouse for this would be better.

I don't think the hardware is up to the task. Some of the dungeons can be pretty taxing on the video card.

4. powersurge macrumors member

Honestly I really doubt it. Besides what I REALLY want is an iPad version of the WoW Armory App. Upscaling the iPhone one looks awful and the current Armory site uses flash.

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Besides space, the iPad wouldn't be able to handle the graphics. Yes, WoW's graphics aren't great compared to like Assassin's Creed or Crysis, but what makes it still require a good card is the amount of things happening. Imagine 30 man instances. That'd be enough to crash the device (not to mention the 256MB of RAM only).

Now if you're talking about WoW on the iPad where it doesn't interact with the Windows/Mac version and has a few restrictions, then it might be feasible.

6. Justinf79 macrumors 6502

Justinf79

WoW couldn't run on an iPad for the most part. I'd like to see an Armory app for the iPad though, and maybe a way to interact with the AH. :D

7. yamabushi thread starter macrumors 65816

yamabushi

That is what I had in mind. If it connected to the full version of WoW then iPad users would be at a huge disadvantage and probably suffer horrible framerates. A custom version with iPad exclusive servers would be necessary for a good playing experience.

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Do you think WoW users need another way to ruin their lives even more?

9. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

But of course, now they can do so from convenient places like in bed or in the bathroom!

10. Swampthing macrumors 6502

Swampthing

You're absolutely right. Instead of WOW, they could refocus their time and use it to post ridiculous, inane, rhetorical questions on these forums about how everyone but themselves are wasting their time...

11. miamijim macrumors 6502

I second the idea of an upscaled wow armory app for the iPad.

I love playing wow and I love my iPad, it would be a marriage made in heaven.

I have the new talent tree app, which is very useful.

Plus the reference guide app, and all of my guides on good reader in PDF.

I would not want to play wow on the ipad though. I see my iPad as more of a reference tool, for reading and a means to consume media...film through air video and books.

The only games I play on iPad are card games and chess.

12. AppleRules macrumors regular

WoW is more CPU intensive than GPU, but ya both the CPU and GPU are inadequate.

13. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

Instead of WoW itself on the iPad, I think it would be incredible if Blizzard made an app that turned the iPad into an interface for WoW. You'd still have your keyboard and mouse, but you could move controls to the iPad screen if you want.

Maybe have your skill bars on the iPad screen? Or maybe your inventory would pop up on the iPad screen instead of the game screen? Maps or quest logs could show up on the iPad. The possibilities are endless and I think it would be amazing. I really doubt Blizzard would do it though; however, if they did, I would be extremely happy. =)

14. Briview macrumors regular

15. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

16. miamijim macrumors 6502

Air Display...

Put the ipad in a stand next to the imac.

Move all of your bars and skills and info windows over to the ipad part of the screen..

This should work I believe.

17. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I still say they should do starcraft first. blizzard needs to start making mobile games.

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    It could served from the Cloud - that would be it's best chance of success. Player experience would be nearly as good, and in some cases even better than a regular PC player (such as people playing in high latency areas like AUS).

19. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

WoW in the iPad? I could finally leave the room to go to the bathroom...goodbye, potty bucket!

It would be pretty cool to see it, though. Storage would be tough, as mentioned.

20. Zodiak macrumors regular

Gaikai at www.gaikai.com is a company that apparently port full hardware heavy games to work in web browsers which would make it possible to play WoW on the iPad aslong as it did not use Flash, or With Flash if you jailbroke your iPad

They already demonstrate WoW in a browser. Unfortunatly im a Guildwars player and i would want to play THAT on my ipad.

21. MikeTemple macrumors member

MikeTemple

While a cloud-based version is possible (see here for this actually happening), unless it was re-written for the iPad, I don't see how the complex key bindings etc. would work.

I don't see Blizzard developing an iPad version. Consider they haven't developed a console version for the XBox 360, and how many 360 owners there are, and how technically it would be much easier.

22. kallyq macrumors regular

I think I would lose my job and my marriage would fail lol

I love this game :)

23. Sushi Dude macrumors newbie

Sushi Dude

I got WoW on my iPad (well I can only jump), I used teamviewer to play WoW on my iMac using my iPad. To bad I can only jump, if you guys find out how to move and stuff it would be great!

24. Sushi Dude macrumors newbie

Sushi Dude

It is way more GPU.

25. poot1234 macrumors member

Nope, it's CPU.