Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fancyrobe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
So i just bought my first mac, a macbook air 13" since i enrolled at the university i figured it was an excellent choice for a reliable computer.
However while i'm away i would like to be able to enjoy some world of warcraft on it

So here's the thing, i tried wow and it works fun however the fan will get pretty loud and i'm afraid it might overheat and the destroy the precious thing.
Should i be concerned that the heat will destroy it? or can i use it to play wow for short amounts from time to time.

Thank you, i'm grateful for every reply.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
So i just bought my first mac, a macbook air 13" since i enrolled at the university i figured it was an excellent choice for a reliable computer.
However while i'm away i would like to be able to enjoy some world of warcraft on it

So here's the thing, i tried wow and it works fun however the fan will get pretty loud and i'm afraid it might overheat and the destroy the precious thing.
Should i be concerned that the heat will destroy it? or can i use it to play wow for short amounts from time to time.

Thank you, i'm grateful for every reply.

Heat will not destroy it.

It will get warm, maybe even hot, but the computer will shut down before it destroys itself from overheating, as long as it's not shutting down on you you're fine.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Should i be concerned that the heat will destroy it?
You have nothing to worry about.

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with recent OS X versions. You can download it here.
The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

fancyrobe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Heat will not destroy it.

It will get warm, maybe even hot, but the computer will shut down before it destroys itself from overheating, as long as it's not shutting down on you you're fine.

thank you for the reply! :) looks like i can relax now.

----------

GGJstudios:You have nothing to worry about.

Wow! thanks for the very informative and extensive answer. I'm very grateful maybe it would be a good idea to get one of those cooling pads too!

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I've played games that are as intense as WoW on my MacBook Air. It did get loud and hot but I just kept going. Very occasionally it froze and rebooted itself but only a couple of times in the half year that I played.

I did have a separate monitor, keyboard, and mouse connected to the MacBook with the game on the monitor and on the MacBook I'd have forums and other sites open and often streaming music through YouTube. So it was heavy use and other than a couple of restarts (which may have actually been FireFox related) there weren't and aren't any issues.

Draganime

macrumors member
May 4, 2014
i used to play wow for 2 years pretty heavily (realm first progression runs etc.). I played from 2011 macbook with ****** intel hd 4000 graphics and the fan kicked into overdrive as soon as i started the game and i played for hours at a time and it got hot at as **** like it would burn your legs if you were playing on your lap. Never once did it switch off and to this date it hasn't caused any noticeable everlasting damage to my macbook. I personally would say it should be no problem.
happy raiding!

fancyrobe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
i used to play wow for 2 years pretty heavily (realm first progression runs etc.). I played from 2011 macbook with ****** intel hd 4000 graphics and the fan kicked into overdrive as soon as i started the game and i played for hours at a time and it got hot at as **** like it would burn your legs if you were playing on your lap. Never once did it switch off and to this date it hasn't caused any noticeable everlasting damage to my macbook. I personally would say it should be no problem.
happy raiding!

Thank you it's nice to get back to raiding again. I trust the macbook is still going strong?

----------

I've played games that are as intense as WoW on my MacBook Air. It did get loud and hot but I just kept going. Very occasionally it froze and rebooted itself but only a couple of times in the half year that I played.

I did have a separate monitor, keyboard, and mouse connected to the MacBook with the game on the monitor and on the MacBook I'd have forums and other sites open and often streaming music through YouTube. So it was heavy use and other than a couple of restarts (which may have actually been FireFox related) there weren't and aren't any issues.

It's very nice to se so much feedback! feels like i've made an excellent choice with this computer. Thanks for the help :)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.