WoW on OS X or Win 7?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by NateEssex, Jul 24, 2012.

1. NateEssex macrumors 6502

Hi all,
    I just got my MBP 9,1 2.3Ghz 8gigs of ram. Should I play WoW on the Mac or PC side?

This machine is beautiful.

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

You might see better performance on Windows, like with all games. But for WoW, the mac client isn't that bad, so you're going to be able to play it fine.

3. Beezzy macrumors 6502

I have it and all other Blizzard games on my Mac. It's a Blizzard game, it'll work fine for either. If you can, use your Mac, get a gaming mouse and you're good to go.

4. thomaskc macrumors 6502

Starcraft 2 for me runs really strange on OS X did so on Lion and also on Mountain Lion, How ever! WoW runs perfect! and I mean PERFECT! on osx, love playing wow in window mode on osx.

I have the mid 2012 cMBP.

5. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I agree with the previous posters. Blizz has said games generally perform a little better in Windows but are more stable under OS-X. Running maximum settings...well that may be another story.

6. joeysarks macrumors regular

I run a trial of wow right now (until a decent expansion gets released) And it seems to run fine for me on my 13 inch 2011. The layers go crazy every now and then, changing colors and then goin back to normal after 2-3 seconds. Kinda weird but it's not that bothersome.

7. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Since you have a 2012 MBP (assuming it's a model with a discrete GPU), definitely play it in OSX. I played WOW for a while on a 2010 15" MBP and was able to max out almost everything at 1680x1050 and get above 30 fps. Or maybe it was even higher. It was some time ago.

8. thomaskc, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

thomaskc macrumors 6502

I can confirm that WoW runs perfectly fine under OSX, as the only blizzard game, Sc2 and D3 is not really worth trying compared to Win7. WoW however, not a problem.

Edit: Also the 64bit mac client runs perfectly fine for me too.

9. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

WoW runs great for me on my 27" iMac in OS X. I'm very happy to play it native.

10. Hwilensky macrumors member

What makes you say that? On my 2011, iMac it runs pretty good no cpmplaints over here.

Hwilensky

11. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Just don't mention to anyone you're playing on a Mac, or they'll give you hell. I agree too with playing on OS X. I even wrote an AppleScript to update my add ons, sync my addons and settings with DropBox, and run a few optimization scripts to improve load time. Don't feel like figuring out how to accomplish that on the windows side, but I believe it would be harder.

12. shulerg macrumors regular

lol...I experienced this once, very funny. My brother and I used to team up and play WoW a lot, but now it just seems like a waste, especially since Cockaclysm slapped everyone who had done the endless grinding of Vanilla and BC in the face (haven't played in 4 yrs now).

WoW was once like pure cocaine in your veins, now Blizzard is cutting it with laxatives and baking soda.:(

13. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

I couldn't have put it better myself! The game has mostly lost interest for me, except that it's one of the most customizable games out there. I'm a developer, and being able to write my own functionality into the game is quite neat, but I can do that outside of WoW too... Yah, it's pretty much dead for me.