WoW performance on 11" MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Stingray454, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

Ok, I know this is a bad idea to begin with.. :) But I was wondering how well the new 11" MBA can handle World of Warcraft? The CPU sure isn't very good for gaming, but the 320M should, in theory, be able to run the game pretty decent.

I'm wondering since I travel a lot and looking at 11" MBA (1.6/4Gb) for meetings / light working, but being able to play a bit during the evenings would be awesome. Any WoW addict out there that has tried it on a MBA yet and can comment on the performance?

2. Parrotlet macrumors member

It will work. I just saw a video of a dude with a British/Scottish accent playing Call of Duty 4 on the macbook air.

3. Osirison macrumors newbie

You mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTAOFC21M9Q :cool:

This YT vid made me order a 13" MBA :apple:

4. Parrotlet macrumors member

Yea, thats the one. What is it with the scottish/english accent, it makes everyone seem more sophisticated

5. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

Pip pip cheerio mate,

I'll fancy a go at installing WoW on an 11" MBA tomorrow and keep you in the loop.

Don't get your knickers in a bunch!

Cheers.

6. Ralzy macrumors member

The main concern I have with WoW is that its going to take up a lot of hard drive space. Isn't it like 30gb? Then add in the new expansion and if you have the base model thats over half of your storage space.

7. falconeight Guest

falconeight

8. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

1:Never heard anyone say Pip Pip in the 38yrs I have lived in the UK;)
    2: The last person I heard say cheerio was my grandma in 1978;)
    3: The phrase is "Knickers in a twist";)

G'day mate is Australian :D

9. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I know but it made me laugh:D

10. Stingray454 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice link, thanks!

It would be good to hear from anyone that tried it personally too. Don't be shy :) Still scanning youtube for videos of MBA + WoW but nothing so far :D.

By the way, does anyone know the difference between the "autodetected resolution" and "native resolution" in the above link? You would think it defaults to the native resolution..

11. lilo777 macrumors 603

There is nothing amazing about this chart. This are the geekbench scores. Notice how laptopmag describes this test: "Tests the performance and speed of the processor and memory performance. Used to benchmark notebooks that can't run PCMark." This site does not test most PC notebooks on this test because they can run PCMark. To keep things in perspective, Sony VAIO Z has geekbench score 4848.

12. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Sony vaio z cast almost twice as much.

13. lilo777 macrumors 603

For VAIO Z the price starts from $1800. At this price, it has 128GB SSD and 4GB RAM. Somewhat similarly configured 11" MBA (with Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive and USB Ethernet Adapter) costs $1500.

14. rkahl macrumors 65816

Not according to Lloyd Christmas (Dumb & Dumber).

15. falconeight Guest

falconeight

They Start at $999

16. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

17. lilo777 macrumors 603

He meant MBAs. While comparing starting price has some value (for a potential buyer) it i snot very useful. Starting configuration for MBA is a very stripped-down computer. It's just a teaser from Apple. Anybody who wants to use MBA for anything other than web browsing will have to double RAM and SSD.

18. falconeight Guest

falconeight

19. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Its not a teaser it is really that good. You can't compare the two they are in two different price ranges and levels. Compare the Vaio z to a MBP at a similar price and you will see which one is better.

20. lilo777 macrumors 603

If it's not a teaser then why did you buy MBA with 128GB? ;)

21. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I bought the base 13 with 128 and the reason I did it is actually pretty cool. I went to best buy and asked a guy who ended up being the manager if they had any MBA is. He said yes and took me to the older model with a $1099 sign on it. I told him that they were 1299 and he said they were on sale. He then took me to the cage and pulled out the new model scanned it and it came out to 1299 so he put in his manager code and dropped it down to 1099. He asked if I was military I said yes and he dropped it again to 1049. The computer gave me credit approval with a 10% off of my purchase that day. That dropped it to 946 plus 76 in taxes and I walked out with a total price of 1022 or something close to that and I paid the credit off a hour later. Their was a lot more talking involved and I think he knew he made a mistake but wanted to honor what he had told me.

22. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Well... Not everyone want the superdrive and ethernet. For me is carrying some RUBBISH everyday which is really really stupid :rolleyes:

23. ipoppy macrumors 6502

I thought about ethernet adaptor when I have ordered MBA but then I have found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....37514&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_5148wt_1141

I am not here to advertise this ofc :rolleyes: I think its more usefull than Apple adaptor. Dont know the performance tho:confused: