Wow. QuickTime X sucks! Am I the last to realize this...?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oliverlubin, Feb 21, 2010.

1. oliverlubin macrumors regular

So QuickTime X doesn't have the editing tools that QuickTime Pro had. Or maybe it does, I have not been able to figure out how to cut sections out of a long audio file. It only lets me trim the beginning and end of the file. Well that's insane.

Does anyone know how? Is there a better App for doing this kind of thing?

I know that the SL DVD allows you to optionally install QuickTime 7 Pro. That's silly. I dont have the DVD with me when I need it...

2. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

I quite like Quicktime X but then I don't ever do anything beyond watching things with it. I do believe it is relatively well known that X is not remotely as feature complete as it should be and will be updated as time goes on. I think I read it was a bit of a departure from the old architecture and obviously has quite a bit of work to be done to it just yet.

3. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Apple must be the only software developer that actually gives you less and less with a new release. Anyone remember iMovie?

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

This, in a strange way, is actually a good thing. Software that never "reset" fall to feature creep and become bloated and dependent on old code.

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I don't use it to edit anything, just watch movies. And even then, it reminds me of a program I used to watch movies in when I had Windows 3.11.

6. greg400 macrumors 6502

This.

It's stupid to complain about Quicktime X whether you find it useful or not. The step was necessary as Quicktime 7 was using very old technology. Quicktime X will eventually gain these features back but the fact that people are complaining about it is just absurd. You still have Quicktime 7 to use in Snow Leopard, so Apple knows Quicktime X what is missing. You can't rewrite an entire program that had year old technology and expect all of the features to be there on the first release.

Also the second they get Quicktime X the same features is the only time we will see an iTunes rewrite and an iMovie rewrite. So without Quicktime X we would be stuck with Quicktime's old technology halting other Apps as well.

7. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

I thought iMovie already got a rewrite with iMovie '08? Are you saying it will need another one, because it is reliant on Quicktime 7?

8. greg400 macrumors 6502

Yes. That's not to say that iMovie will radically change again in UI and features(or lack of in the case of 08').

9. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

That's a fair point, I suppose there's argument in favour of reducing overlap between Quicktime and iMovie say.

10. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

the problem isn't with qtx. the problem is that people actually use that junk. just like windows users use windows media player. there are much better, and free alternatives.

11. maldoblaz macrumors member

You can find old Quicktime 7 Pro (if you had the pro code) inside the utilities folder. Snow Leopard moves it in.

12. stevemiller macrumors 65816

i won't get into the bloat vs functionality debate, but my bigger issue is that it crashes on my computer ALL the time. i performed two completely fresh installs of snow leopard and its sucked both times. and this is playing videos exported from apple's own final cut software, using apple's own codecs, not some obscure downloaded web videos.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

For those reading this thread who want to go back to QT 7 and restore their QT Pro,
    check out the support page here: QuickTime Pro 7

14. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Well, 10.6.3 is supposed to address Quicktime X stability and compatibility, so hopefully some of your problems will be addressed.

15. stevemiller macrumors 65816

my fingers are definitely crossed for 10.6.3!

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

For those wondering why QT X has less features currently -
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/6

Covers QT X within the Daddy of reviews -

aims to make a clean break from its predecessor
    is based on technology originally developed for another platform
    includes transparent compatibility with its earlier incarnation
    promises better performance and a more modern architecture
    lacks many important features in its initial release

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/09/01/inside-mac-os-x-snow-leopard-quicktime-x/

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can't you install quicktime pro?

I haven't used QTX to edit anything so I can't comment on its tools being sub-par or not. Other then watching stuff it seems to be good for me.

18. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

What I hate about Quicktime X:

- You can't see where you're at because the timing is hidden. It's okay for a movie but for a short clip you have no idea how long it is. Of course, you can mouse over to see it (showing big menu buttons).

- Edit functionality. TRIM is very limited. In Q7 you can cut/copy/paste.

- Download video; In Q7 you can download any video you watched (just clicking a button -pro only)

-Icon; It's not big deal but WHO made that icon?

It's supposed to be a better technology but I saw no improvements.

IMO the ONLY decent video player in OSX is Movist.

19. Arrandale macrumors regular

20. Arrandale macrumors regular

If you're asking whether it is technically possible to install QT Pro alonside QT X, yes it is.

If you were just phrasing your advice in the form of a question, never mind.:p