Wow - sad example of iPad WiFi :(

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mobilehavoc, Apr 16, 2010.

1. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

I am enjoying my iPad thoroughly (more than I expected) but I'm appalled at the WiFi sensitivity. As if things weren't bad, today I'm sitting in my office and my smartphone (a Sprint HTC Hero - about same size as iPhone) notifies me that there are open WiFi networks nearby. Excited, I turn on my iPad and search for WiFi but nothing is found. So I look at my phone and the network, it's the Marriott Courtyard across a 4 lane street from my office and my office is on the 15th floor!!! WTF?

How is it that a relatively small smartphone can pick up such a weak WiFi signal but my iPad can't. This is not good at all...I'd sacrifice aesthetics to have a better WiFi signal.

:eek:

2. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

3. SocalMark macrumors member

I get Great Wifi not one problem with it better then my $2000 Laptop.

4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Yes I would like the option to decrease battery life when I want to use a network slightly out of range.
    how hard would it be for them to put a wireless strength adjuster in settings anyway? maybe just like a 2-way switch with labels for better battery life/better performance.

Nothing worse than an ignorant loyal follower. I love apple's products, but I also expect them to live up to their own standards they have set.

5. mrcc macrumors regular

the ipod touch same problem. my laptop finds signals great. the ipod touch no wifi signals. So its just not the ipad itself. thats why im getting a 3g so i dont have to bother with the wifi signals.

6. nolesfan macrumors regular

In a heart beat. I would give up 2 hours or so of battery life for better wifi for sure. I just sent my launch day ipad back and my replacement is on its way so hopefully its better. But in a nutshell, yes i would.

7. mobilehavoc thread starter macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

I'd like to have the option. If I know I'll be plugging in or can plug in then sure. If not, then no. Don't understand the issue with a toggle switch like many laptops/PCs have today.

Yes I agree when the iPad is within range (read: close) to my 802.11n Wifi router it blazes and it's actually very stable too. No issues there. Just that in every other case where it's public Wifi (Starbucks, the mall, hotel, etc.) where the router has some distance to the iPad it is complete garbage where my smartphone has no problem. I'm not even comparing it to a laptop but a device that's 1/4 the size of the iPad.

8. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I would also like to have the option. A simple "WiFi Boost" or something that I knew would drain the battery more but provide a beefed-up signal.

9. VTMac macrumors 6502

It's not an issue. It's a philosophy. Apple believes if you have need for such switches your product has failed. So they don't provide one. And they never will.

People will bitch, but as long as Apple sales continue to skyrocket, then they win and the complainer complain and lose.

From Apples point of view, it's perfectly logical.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

All of my Apple devices have sporadically picked up different WIFI networks for years. My MBAir would find 10 when my Mini would find 3. Same holds true for my MP and my iPhone. I find the iPad finds more than my iPhone does more often than not. Maybe that's just luck of the draw but right now I seem to have a decent unit on my hands.

11. mobilehavoc thread starter macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

Or your iPhone WiFi is even worse than the iPad :D

12. WLS macrumors 65816

My touch is like that too. I can only speculate that the acceptable signal level is higher on some apple devices. Just because a WIFI source is sniffed out doesn't mean it is a strong enough connection to be usable. Also isn't one of the antennas under the metal top? I'm thinking with the 3g where that is plastic instead of aluminum the result will be better WIFI reception too.

13. nolesfan macrumors regular

You are right but that is no way to do business so the next time someone wants a computer do you think they will look apple's way or maybe at dell or sony etc? This is not good business and they no it or they wouldn't be replacing them like they are.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It could be, but here's the kicker ... I've never been hindered by it, ever.

15. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Wifi is pretty flaky on this thing.

Gets kicked off the network a lot.

Fails to rejoin a lot.

iPhone/laptops never had this issue.

Just a plain ole G router.

16. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

This is completely the reason I am holding out for the 3g version.

17. xROBERTxDAVISx macrumors regular

18. macbean101 macrumors newbie

I've done some testing with a borrowed iPad.

in our office (using dual band proxim Access points)
    I had no issues getting an IP but:
    icmp response was erratic, latency was anywhere from 20ms-300ms (standard laptop response was consistently under 5ms)
    random timeouts occured every few minutes - 5-10 packets would time out and then start responding again.
    eventually, i lost the connection
    regaining the connection was simply a matter of turning wifi off and back on but the above would still occur including the loss after a while.

at home using linksys, I also saw the erratic response times but never lost the connection.

19. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

20. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

How strong a signal was it? Did your phone connect? I'm curious. My iPhone picks up a lot of wifi's that it can't connect to either due to security or due to the signal being too weak.

All of this would be moot had you gotten a 3G.

21. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

I have not had the first problem on my iPad with WiFi. In fact I am pleasantly surprised how fast it is on the 4-5 WiFi networks I use on a weekly basis.

22. brendu macrumors 68020

is this something a software update will fix, or will they just release the next iPad with a better wifi antenna in it? I want one but im not paying for 3G so wifi MUST work properly. Are the issues mostly with G or N routers?

23. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

When my ipad connect to my mobile hotspot, it makes a chime on the hotspot when connected. When letting the iPad sit, it is constantly chiming because its connecting an d disconnecting. So after about 10 min of inactivity on the iPad it disconnects. Somewhat interesting actually.

24. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

My WiFi range is piss-poor as well.

Can't walk to the other side of the house
    without dropping down to 1 bar.

Never happened with any other WiFi device
    I own.

25. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

Depends...do they want OS X? If so, they won't be looking at Dell or Sony.