WoW settings Late 2016 15" 460

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by colinwil, Dec 6, 2016.

1. colinwil macrumors regular

2. padaxax macrumors member

By setting Shadow Quality and Liquid detail to low or fair you will gain a significant FPS Boost in this game.
    How is you overall experience with the 460 and this game? When are the fans kicking in? Are the fans running loud?

3. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Do the fans get loud? I have never gamed on a laptop because the fans would drive me nuts

4. colinwil thread starter macrumors regular

Im getting between 50 and 60 fps with the settings set as per the screenshots - which is fine - at least for me. I've only played it for 20 minutes or so, and no loud fans, though they may ramp up if I play longer, or in raids/dungeons.

Also I haven't yet been near too much water - so I may have to turn liquid detail down a notch.

I'll play some longer sessions & report back if I need to change anything. Hopefully people'll post some actual settings for the other graphics cards...

5. colinwil thread starter macrumors regular

A quick follow up -

I played for several hours over the weekend, and it turns out I was being a bit conservative with the settings. I increased the resolution to 2048x1280, and increased Shadow Quality and Liquid Detail to Ultra, and was still getting a steady 40-55fps.

No bothersome fan noise, though you could hear them speeding up and slowing back down sometimes if you listened closely.

It's turning out much better than I'd expected :)

6. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

WoW is pretty horrible. My GTX 1080 sometimes drops to 10 fps even on Medium settings. I can run Doom (2016) and much better looking games on Ultra at 144FPS.

This is on Windows. Is the OS X version better somehow?

7. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

Blizzard doesn't officially support the 10 series cards yet: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/100493

That's why it's awful.

8. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

Even on Windows?

Even my GTX 980 has issues with it though.

9. colinwil thread starter macrumors regular

This was on OS X, using Metal. Here's a screenshot. https://flic.kr/p/NSCpoN. Note the frame rate thing at the bottom - showing 61fps.

10. Marshall73, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

Play it set to full screen, 2880x1800 then set the render scale in advanced settings to 90%.

Disable SSAO and sun shafts, put shadows to high, water to high.

Runs and looks great.