WOW! Steaming hot flash drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by phillipjfry, Apr 15, 2007.

1. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Has anyone ever pulled their flash drive from the back of their iMac and found it SEARING HOT!!?
    The metal piece on the end was too hot to touch!
    I'd never had anyone have something like this. The same for anyone else?
    And to think of what might have happened if I left the thing plugged in all night long...:confused:

EDIT: And now it doesn't work, LOL
    I am having the worst weekend ever when it comes to computers
    Aside from having to reinstall this computer, losing my backup disk (7+ years worth of photos, logs, txt messages, etc) and now my brand new 2gb flash drive just kicked it.
    My 128 and 256 drives still work in the same port that I just pulled the 2gb from. Maybe it was an actual defective flash drive?

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

3. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Does that mean that the flash drive is shot??
    It doesn't show up on my little brother's computer or my dad's laptop and after I pull it out, it feels very warm

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Try another USB device into the same slot the "Hot flash drive" was in, if it works, then the problem would appear to be the flash drive.

FJ

5. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

That's pretty lame. I've only had it for 14 days and it seems to already be fried. I don't have the receipt anymore for the drive but maybe a bank statement saying I bought it will entitle me to a replacement :)

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

If you are a regular visitor to the store where you bought the flash drive, they might give you a replacement without the receipt. Even if you haven't used that store before, I would still go back and ask anyhow. You have nothing to loose.

The fact the flash drive does not show up on two other computers almost certainly means the flash drive is DEAD. Have you checked out the USB slot on your computer?

FJ

7. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Yes, the usb slot on my computer works fine. I put in place, two other usb flash drives, both of which popped right up.
    Man what a weekend.... :(

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Hope you get a free replacement :)

FJ

9. phidauex macrumors member

I had this happen once. But not with a flash drive, with a MicroSD card in my Motorola phone!

It was a Sandisk 1gb MicroSD card, and one day I noticed that the applications I had installed on the expansion card weren't showing up in the phone. How odd, I thought. Then I noticed that the LCD screen was flickering and dimming, like it was having a hard time keeping enough power. I opened up the back of the phone to check the battery, and noticed the area around the SD card was unbelievably hot. I quickly pulled the card out, lightly burning the tips of my fingers. I had to just drop the card to the floor.

I picked it up a minute later, and it looked fine. I put it in a card reader, stuck it in a computer, and it instantly began to heat up. Obviously dead. Fortunately, the phone was fine, and is still working with its replacement card.

I suppose if the wrong part shorts out inside there, it can just dump 500mA of current, which will heat it up FAST. Strange that it happens, without moving parts, but somehow it does... Probably a manufacturing defect waiting to expose itself.

peace,
    sam

10. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Right on
    I went to the store and after a short demo (he basically did what I did, left it in the computer for a few minutes and yelped when he touched it again)
    I walked out with a shiny new flash drive!
    Now all I need to do is invest in a decent external drive and prevent this and other things from happening ever again....until my external drive catches on fire :)

11. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

12. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Yep
    Now all I have left to do is wait for my external to come in the mail in the next couple of days and I'll finally have a half arsed backup system going!! :)
    I've never had a situation like this where everything I had backed up all went wrong, usually its the computer itself that crashes

Ahh, Murphy's Law at work :(