Wow...Synology + TM 12 months later

Discussion in 'macOS' started by komatsu, Dec 3, 2018.

1. komatsu macrumors 6502

I was helping someone 12 months ago with their Mac OS backup. I installed an entry-level 2-bay Synology for them in their wiring closet.

12 Months Later

I was there again today for a different problem and curiosity got the better of me. I asked them
    "how is the Synology..."
    "what..?" they replied"
    "The backup device...I said
    "is that connected still?" they said.
    "I hope so" I said

Using Finder, I eagerly accessed the device and to my complete amazement it had completed a backup just 10 minutes previously. There were around 40 different snapshots that user could have rolled backed to. And the user did not even know there it was there! No scary error messages. No "back-up failed" error messages. I can finally see what the hype about Synology is about. Flawless.

2. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

It's probably fine, but test a recovery to be sure.

I have seen many many many times where someone thought they had a working backup system because they saw it doing backups. But then you try to recover and cannot for various reasons.

3. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

4. komatsu thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Qaulity macrumors member

Qaulity

I have an old Lenovo 2 bay NAS that works great. It’s out of production now but they still push security updates. Couldn’t be more impressed with it. It’s only got 1 job and it’s great at it. Wouldn’t trust it for media. It’s got like 200mb of ram and a 100mhz processor but it’s a pro at backing up.

6. komatsu thread starter macrumors 6502

what software do you use with it?

7. Qaulity macrumors member

Qaulity

It’s got a bunch of built in proprietary stuff that I never use but for time machine I just go to the settings and tittle the time machine/AFP protocol on and it does its thing. Not sure but I think it’s running off a 2.6.x Linux kernel.