Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
With every successive ugrade, I always thought that the latest iPad had reached perfection. When I went from the 2 to the 3, then to the Air 1, Air 2, Pro 9.7 - with the exception of the 3, each leap seemed to be to the "ultimate" and there was no way, from the hardware perspective, that the next generation of the iPad could get any better.

With the Pro 10.5, these seems to be the biggest leap of all. This machine feels like it was left behind by some advanced space aliens. Has it reached perfection?

I've learned that it can never be the case, so what would we like to see in the next generation that would make the leap as dramatic?

What I would like to see on the next generation would be resistance - just so I don't have to worry getting caught in a storm (I travel a lot), dropping in the pool, or spilling something on it.

I'm not sure I want it lighter or thinner - it already seems thin enough, so would it be just faster processor, longer battery life - the usual tech bumps?

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
There are still some bezel reductions to be made but I think the iPad reached a point in which what we need is software support for its greatness.
iOS 11 is a good step in this regard, but I would like to see apple continuing this trend.

I guess if they go with a software home button like the iPhone 8 is supposed to have, the bezels can be pushed out a bit more.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Mouse support would be great to go along with the smart keyboard and a way to finally download whatever file within safari and have it end up in a dedicated "download" folder within the files app. This way it can still be sandboxed

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think they should of made the bezels slimmer on the 12.9" iPad Pro just like they did on the 10.5" I think the biggest leap (from reviewers i haven't got my 2nd gen yet) is the Promotion and IOS 11 (those that have already downloaded the beta). I think Apple are closer to blurring the lines between a Mac and an iPad.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
Let me just add that the iPad can hardly get any better but the accessories can. I feel like the smart keyboard and the smart cover are not very premium. They feel clumsy to use and the soft feel contrast very heavily with those chamfered edges. Perhaps using different materials, invent some kind of hinge or magnet connection that makes the keyboard appear to be attached on the iPad itself.

Reactions: Oldmanmac

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I think what's needed is software to match the excellence of the hardware and better accessories, notable a place to store and charge the pencil with either the Smart Cover or apple keyboard.

Reactions: Oldmanmac

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
With the Pro 10.5, these seems to be the biggest leap of all. This machine feels like it was left behind by some advanced space aliens. Has it reached perfection

If it were foldable (see Westworld) and could project 3D holograms (ala Star Wars) then it would definitely feel like it was left behind by advanced space aliens.

Reactions: David58117

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Coming from an iPad 3 I used want a bezel less iPad but these new thinner bezels seem thin enough to me.

Since upgrading to the ipad pro 10.5 it feels less comfortable to hold because I've changed the way I hold the iPad trying to avoid touching the edge of the screen. I know it's supposed to ignore touches around the edges of the screen but for me it doesn't work as good as I was expecting it to. Also I mostly use my iPad in bed laying back with a pillow on my chest with the iPad on top. But now with thinner bezels about an inch of the screen usually ends up buried into the pillow then I re adjust the pillow to make it firmer so the iPad doesn't sink in.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
With every successive ugrade, I always thought that the latest iPad had reached perfection. When I went from the 2 to the 3, then to the Air 1, Air 2, Pro 9.7 - with the exception of the 3, each leap seemed to be to the "ultimate" and there was no way, from the hardware perspective, that the next generation of the iPad could get any better.

With the Pro 10.5, these seems to be the biggest leap of all. This machine feels like it was left behind by some advanced space aliens. Has it reached perfection?

I've learned that it can never be the case, so what would we like to see in the next generation that would make the leap as dramatic?

What I would like to see on the next generation would be resistance - just so I don't have to worry getting caught in a storm (I travel a lot), dropping in the pool, or spilling something on it.

I'm not sure I want it lighter or thinner - it already seems thin enough, so would it be just faster processor, longer battery life - the usual tech bumps?

How could it be any better. And why I kept my 9.7" Pro

#1. Next years iPad Pro 10.5" Model will be OLED most likely
#2. Redesigned Finally will get rid of Home Button.
#3. USB-C
#4. Use LG Chems newest Layered battery for 15 hour battery life
#5. A True 10-bit or 12-bit Display with HDR10 and Dolby Vision support. I think the 10.5" Pro is still just an 8-bit IPS panel.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Perfection is a transitory thing, and as Steve once said (more or less), we won't know what we want until they show it to us.

It's safe to say that five years from now, the latest iPads will seem quaint. Presuming they find lots of good uses for things like 3-D sensing (something no iOS device yet has) and AR, the current machines are just not likely to satisfy us.

But my first-generation 12.9" iPad Pro running iOS 11 beta is pretty impressive. Once the bugs are squashed, I can't see wanting something better for the next year or so.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The only way to make it better is to get both the 10.5 and 12.9. I find the 10.5 screen a little too small to use for long periods of time at home. So the ideal setup is 12.9 at home and 10.5 LTE on the go :)

That will be my set up as well. But also adding the Smart Keyboard to the 12.9 iPad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.