Wow, the MBA is "popular" again...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by PsyD4Me, Oct 27, 2010.

1. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

I haven't seen this much forum activity in years,

i guess that's what happens when they slash prices and then its ok for people to justify the purchase.

2. neteng101 macrumors 65816

To be honest - its the new trackpad and SSD that has me wanting one, vs. the price drop. The old MBA just never felt right, the drop open ports, the hard to press single touchpad button, just never saw the appeal.

3. Moodikar macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Was it really that popular originally? I remember there was a great presentation and lot of excitement but I don't think it ever was a big seller due to the price versus features.

Don't get me wrong, I had a rev b&c but I think the 2008 hype vanished quickly when the cost and heat issues tainted the initial launch.

4. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Or it could be most of us knew they we're crap in 2008 and decided to wait and purchase them when Apple perfected them.

5. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

This.
    I never saw the previous MacBook Air as particularly popular, however the new one is vastly different and a big step up for a smaller price. What is there not to like? I would never have recommended the old MBA at its pretty astonishing price to my parents, however I am recommending they buy one of the new 11"s due to it being relatively cheap and still quite nicely specced for the price as well as having the ultra-portable factor.

6. M87 macrumors 65816

I think it's telling that Steve presented the new Air as if it was the first one, relating it to the MBP and iPad.

7. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

My reason right there.

I'm not sure they've perfected them yet, but by introducing them as the netbook-formerly-known-as-a-MBA, they've allowed a whole new segment of the population to obtain one.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I don't think the Macbook Air was ever "Popular" before. It just seems as though Apple released it before it's time which is a good thing, but now they saw what the customer wanted in terms of size and pricing and people are seeing that this is the future of computing so it just makes sense at this point to buy one. That 11.6" is an awesome little machine. :)

9. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

it's simple guys: create a great product at a great price and it will sell.

10. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

the trackpad button alone kept me away from the previous generation. My dad bought one and I would constantly miss the button. the glass trackpad simply makes more sense.
    the fact that it has multiple usb ports on both sides, a sd card reader (at least on the 13"), has ssd/flash as standard, and is cheaper all make it that much more of a winner and arguably that much more likely people will buy it.
    only disappointment for me is the loss of the backlit keyboard.

11. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I agree, i use comp a lot at night and if it had the backlit keyboard I would have been first in line to pre-order....now it takes some thought....

12. aberrero macrumors 6502a

Ya, it isn't about the price. I never really wanted the old Air, this one is different. Much much better.

13. WMuntean macrumors regular

Absolutely.

14. PsyD4Me thread starter macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

would you but if it were $2400? and don't tell me that the answer is so simple...it is about the price..., it was an important marketing aspect

15. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

This is more traffic than we have ever seen in these MBA forums. It is definitely the $999 starting price tag that made this happen. Apple was so smart to start the 11" with only 2GB of RAM and 64GB NAND Flash to get to the $999 price point. It doesn't even matter if most spend a lot more than $999. It's perceived barrier to entry that has been substantially eliminated. Everyone can afford $999 if they want a Mac, as the MB is only $999 and it's Apple's entry level Mac.

The updates weren't as big as most of us long-term users wanted, but apparently Apple knows what it's doing. It has hit the sweet spot for so many by allowing this much bigger range of MBAs. Whether you want to spend $999 or $1799, you can buy a Mac that is really mobile and really fast. All of the rest of the details come down to needs, but the vast majority of users are going to feel like this MBAs are faster than their MBs and MBPs, even with 1.4 GHz to 2.13 GHz CPUs.

Nice thread.

16. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

If it had remained solely a 13" line up weighing in at a kilo and a half then I wouldn't have bought it, the introduction of the just over 1kilo lineup of 11.6" models is what swung it for me.

17. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It was Amazon's number one selling Apple for months when it was introduced.

18. aberrero macrumors 6502a

No, what I was really getting at is that I wouldn't have bought the old one for $999, nevermind $1400+.