Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Is good to have the option.. for example, you could be doing split view work and have messeges open to reply to texts as they come in.. I often work with youtube playing news in the background, if only they supported pip, I would have it opened side aside.

-DV

Yea I suppose it's better to have the option. I know it works on my 10.5, but I really haven't used it. I tend to stick to 2 max.

Reactions: gobikerider

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
Still greyed out on dp4 first gen 12.9.
Sucks, as I’m sure they showed this in the demo at wwdc. 2 apps, pull up files or photos in slide over and drag drop into whatever. Worked great on dp1.
The longer this goes unaddressed the more I expect it to not be a bug

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Sucks, as I’m sure they showed this in the demo at wwdc. 2 apps, pull up files or photos in slide over and drag drop into whatever. Worked great on dp1.
I wonder if its broken for all iPads still

KeepCalm76

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Unfortunately, I, too, am getting that suspicion. It worked incredibly well in beta 1, but no longer. There is still a bug that permits three apps (wonder why they haven’t addressed that yet.)

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I can do 3 apps plus PIP on my iPad Pro 10.5. And have been able to do since Beta 2. It isn’t a bug for older iPads. It is planned obsolescence.

Reactions: gobikerider

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
I can do 3 apps plus PIP on my iPad Pro 10.5. And have been able to do since Beta 2. It isn’t a bug for older iPads. It is planned obsolescence.
The OG Pro 12.9 should get it though with 4gb of ram I mean come on, people bought that to well...last. People with the 9.7 with 2gb you should've known what you signed up for.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
The thing is even 2GB iPads can run it just fine with the bug. So it is without doubt planned obsolescence. If 2GB iPads weren't powerful enough I could understand. But if a Mini 4 can do it just fine with the bug. Without slowdowns. Apple's intentions are clear.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
The thing is even 2GB iPads can run it just fine with the bug. So it is without doubt planned obsolescence. If 2GB iPads weren't powerful enough I could understand. But if a Mini 4 can do it just fine with the bug. Without slowdowns. Apple's intentions are clear.
It may do it just fine but what probably not without peaking system resources which puts strain on the battery. Irregardless since late 2015 Apple made it clear that 4gb was the future when they put it in the iPad Pro, the 9.7 pro was like the ugly step child.

Well, I'm late to the party in this thread, but here's my opinion.

1) Your definition of runs "fine" on 2GB devices might be different than Apple's. It might run, but in certain scenarios it might have serious issues.
2) I am, personally, 100% ok without being able to run 3 apps simultaneously on my 9.7 pro. It's completely unnecessary and the screen is too small to support it well (and wow even more so on the mini). I've played around with it, and I kind of like being able to slide over the 3rd app on top of 2 existing apps, but then dismiss it. You can still drag and drop from it.
3) I agree 100% that the 12.9 gen1 should be capable of it. It has the 4GB and the larger screen to justify it.
4) I acknowledge the viewpoint of "I don't care if my screen is small and if the 2GB RAM might give occasional issues... I still want the option!". While that is completely valid, we all know Apple is not the company to give people options which Apple feels provides an inferior experience
5) Again, there is no reason the 12.9 pro shouldn't be able to do this. Apple should definitely change this. (Also, at WWDC there were numerous media reports that gen1 12.9 would absolutely be capable of this. So either Apple has had a change of heart or perhaps it is just a bug they are working out)
[doublepost=1501095478][/doublepost]
It may do it just fine but what probably not without peaking system resources which puts strain on the battery. Irregardless since late 2015 Apple made it clear that 4gb was the future when they put it in the iPad Pro, the 9.7 pro was like the ugly step child.

I agree that Apple made a ridiculous mistake for not including 4gb in the 9.7. They already had the processor. Surely any savings for using 2gb would have been mostly/entirely offset by having the change the processor? Like you said they clearly knew the future was pushing multitasking. Were they concerned about battery life on the smaller device? It seems too easy an answer to say "Apple is greedy. Planned obsolesce" They might have been elements in the decision process, but surely there were other factors that went into it. But I do think it was the wrong choice for the company regardless.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Seems like beta-behaviour :)

yep. most annoying thing every time there's betas is the folks that can't seem to understand that things are going to be goofy AF and things will be removed, moved and sometimes it will be different from device to device cause its not actually the same software being installed to everything.

those sort of folks shouldn't be using the betas but of course they don't like that suggestion

Reactions: alecgold

says_stuff

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2017
I swear i am gonna lose my sh*t if apple is gonna try to convince me that 3 apps like a pdf reader, a notes app and a dictionary can't run simultaneously.

I mean, it will be ok if i can't run three video editing apps (or something like that) at the same time, but what about low resource apps?

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Well, I'm late to the party in this thread, but here's my opinion.

1) Your definition of runs "fine" on 2GB devices might be different than Apple's. It might run, but in certain scenarios it might have serious issues.
2) I am, personally, 100% ok without being able to run 3 apps simultaneously on my 9.7 pro. It's completely unnecessary and the screen is too small to support it well (and wow even more so on the mini). I've played around with it, and I kind of like being able to slide over the 3rd app on top of 2 existing apps, but then dismiss it. You can still drag and drop from it.
3) I agree 100% that the 12.9 gen1 should be capable of it. It has the 4GB and the larger screen to justify it.
4) I acknowledge the viewpoint of "I don't care if my screen is small and if the 2GB RAM might give occasional issues... I still want the option!". While that is completely valid, we all know Apple is not the company to give people options which Apple feels provides an inferior experience
5) Again, there is no reason the 12.9 pro shouldn't be able to do this. Apple should definitely change this. (Also, at WWDC there were numerous media reports that gen1 12.9 would absolutely be capable of this. So either Apple has had a change of heart or perhaps it is just a bug they are working out)
[doublepost=1501095478][/doublepost]

I agree that Apple made a ridiculous mistake for not including 4gb in the 9.7. They already had the processor. Surely any savings for using 2gb would have been mostly/entirely offset by having the change the processor? Like you said they clearly knew the future was pushing multitasking. Were they concerned about battery life on the smaller device? It seems too easy an answer to say "Apple is greedy. Planned obsolesce" They might have been elements in the decision process, but surely there were other factors that went into it. But I do think it was the wrong choice for the company regardless.
Yep and unfortunately that leaves us consumers having to think and really understand the direction things were headed, people will disagree but buying the 9.7 Pro was a mistake and Apple dropped the ball on that because processor aside the ram essentially holds it back with both the Air 2 and Mini 4 in terms of multitasking capability and who knows what else come iOS 12 or 13

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Yep and unfortunately that leaves us consumers having to think and really understand the direction things were headed, people will disagree but buying the 9.7 Pro was a mistake and Apple dropped the ball on that because processor aside the ram essentially holds it back with both the Air 2 and Mini 4 in terms of multitasking capability and who knows what else come iOS 12 or 13
Of iOS 14, 15 of 21?
It was & is a powerful iPad and the ram isn’t as important on iOS as it is on other os’s. I know, page reload when you have 15 safari pages open, or other minor things that don’t stay in the memory, but it is so fast that reloads are quick and hardly annoying imho.
That being said, I’m really happy with my 10,5. But oddly enough not for the ram, but for all those other small things like promotion, slightly bigger screen, even beefier processor, etc.etc.etc. IMHO the 10,5 is the perfect EDC companion and my 12,9 (1st gen) is sitting in my desk these days, still being used a lot these days, but I hardly ever take it with me.

KeepCalm76

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Just another reminder to file radars. Complaining on MacRumors doesn't get you very far.
That’s right. I have, weeks ago in fact. All of us should. Wish some tech writers would raise this, too. The beta reviews were all done on new Pros, as far as I could tell. They note that the 9.7" can’t do this, but I’ve yet to find anyone writing about the loss of this feature on the 12.9’s. Maybe if we leave enough comments on their articles, they’ll become aware of this and reach out to Apple for clarification.

KeepCalm76

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
Well, with Beta 5 released, I’m prepared to call it: Apple killed this feature entirely on “old” Pros. I’m beyond frustrated. I am as devoted to Apple as the next guy (and probably more so), but the decision to withhold from a one-year-old device a feature that ran beautifully in Beta 1, and goes a long way towards cementing the Pro as a legitimate computing device, has me feeling a bit used. I have spent something like $1,400 on an iPad, a keyboard, and a Pencil. If I spend that kind of money on a MacBook Pro, I do it confident that the computer will last and continue to receive full and complete software updates for years. When it comes to iOS, though, the implication apparently is that I really ought to be buying one every year if I want to have the latest capabilities, and not because of a hardware limitation, but purely because of a software handicap built in to ensure that devices “age” at an arbitrary rate. It’s ultimately not the planned obsolescence thing that gets me, though; it’s the pace of it. An iPad Pro really ought to be able to last through at least two full iOS cycles. These things are too expensive to turn into once-a-year purchases.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Well, with Beta 5 released, I’m prepared to call it: Apple killed this feature entirely on “old” Pros. I’m beyond frustrated. I am as devoted to Apple as the next guy (and probably more so), but the decision to withhold from a one-year-old device a feature that ran beautifully in Beta 1, and goes a long way towards cementing the Pro as a legitimate computing device, has me feeling a bit used. I have spent something like $1,400 on an iPad, a keyboard, and a Pencil. If I spend that kind of money on a MacBook Pro, I do it confident that the computer will last and continue to receive full and complete software updates for years. When it comes to iOS, though, the implication apparently is that I really ought to be buying one every year if I want to have the latest capabilities, and not because of a hardware limitation, but purely because of a software handicap built in to ensure that devices “age” at an arbitrary rate. It’s ultimately not the planned obsolescence thing that gets me, though; it’s the pace of it. An iPad Pro really ought to be able to last through at least two full iOS cycles. These things are too expensive to turn into once-a-year purchases.
Lmfao rip old iPad Pro owners. Who knows they might throw it in the final release. I mean they just pulled iCloud messages feature in beta 5 citing "issues"
[doublepost=1502136782][/doublepost]
Not every year but yah look at history the first gen of Apple devices are always the worst in terms of support while the second gen is like the gold standard. iPad Pro 2 ftw

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

You didn't even know what iOS 11 was going to give you in the first place when you bought your "1,400$" iPad. Sorry but you're never going to be happy in the technology world if you think you are entitled to all software features that were never promised nor announced.

You got exactly what you bought, it has nothing to do with Apple or planned obsolescence. This is the nature of every technology products with no maintenance policy, you're not entitled to any future features unless it has been explicitly promised by the company. Apple should've explain why it was in the first beta and pulled but they're not obligated and they suck for doing this for sure.

Macs have the same problem, I remember certain features were not made available to certain macs like '12 rMBP in future macOS updates even though there were user patches that made the said features available and working fine. I forgot what it was, AirDrop maybe? I don't recall but Macs/macOS definitely isn't immune to obsolescence.

Last edited:

KeepCalm76

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
You got exactly what you bought, it has nothing to do with Apple or planned obsolescence. This is the nature of every technology products with no maintenance policy, you're not entitled to any future features unless it has been explicitly promised by the company. Apple should've explain why it was in the first beta and pulled but they're not obligated and they suck for doing this for sure.

It’s got nothing to do with a sense of entitlement. This isn’t my first tech product by a long shot, and I know no device is 100% future-proof. Buying always entails risk. I don’t feel its unreasonable, though, to wonder why a feature that works is being withheld, that’s all.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012

The 12.9 ASK and Apple Pencil will still work with the new 12.9

Apple isn't going to stop modernizing for you

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
You didn't even know what iOS 11 was going to give you in the first place when you bought your "1,400$" iPad. Sorry but you're never going to be happy in the technology world if you think you are entitled to all software features that were never promised nor announced.

Macs have the same problem, I remember certain features were not made available to certain macs like '12 rMBP in future macOS updates even though there were user patches that made the said features available and working fine. I forgot what it was, AirDrop maybe? I don't recall but Macs/macOS definitely isn't immune to obsolescence.
Normally I'd agree but they clearly announced it would work on current iPad's in the keynote. So either this is a major oversight, it's not ready or it was taken out on purpose. In all cases this shouldn't stand the way it is. It's beta right now, so there's hope for final release this feature is returned or at least addressed verbally by Apple. But again, it's one thing to say things may not end up in the final release but you showed it on current hardware working perfectly and the first beta had it included, dropping it at this point makes zero sense other then the usual nonsense of forcing upgrades. (This is also why 1st gen products have a bad wrap, you feel like a beta tester on hardware.. that's not cool)

Last edited:

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Normally I'd agree but they clearly announced it would work on current iPad's in the keynote. So either this is a major oversight, it's not ready or it was taken out on purpose. In all cases this shouldn't stand the way it is. It's beta right now, so there's hope for final release this feature is returned or at least addressed verbally by Apple. But again, it's one thing to say things may not end up in the final release but you showed it on current hardware working perfectly and the first beta had it included, dropping it at this point makes zero sense other then the usual nonsense of forcing upgrades. (This is also why 1st gen products have a bad wrap, you feel like a beta tester on hardware.. that's not cool)

And Apple announced FaceTime would be open sourced at a past WWDC. We don’t always get what they showed at a developer conference, a lot of things demoed at wwdc often changed or don’t show up.

jiiikoo

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Okay - new beta is in. Anything on this?
Working on my iPad Pro 10.5’’ but it’s a bit wonky, at least in my opinion. You have to drag the third app really close to the side of the screen to get it floating on top. Maybe I’m just not used to using it yet, but feels wonky to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.