Wow the roku interface & netflix is bad

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Che Castro, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

I got a roku player for another room

I figured i would save some money so i got there cheapest one $60 roku HD

But the interface looks like it was made in the 90's

Is like night & day compare to the apple tv 2

is the roku player the worst out of all the media players?

How does ATV2's interface match up with other netflix players

2. reekster macrumors newbie

reekster

I haven't played with the Roku but I have a Playstation 3 in the front room and a $160 Blu-Ray player in the bedroom that both do a great job with Netflix.
    My Wii also will stream Netflix but the connection is 480i tops, although most Netflix content currently is closer to SD instead of HD but I expect that to change.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I find the ATV2 and PS3 Netflix apps to be on equal footing. That's just IMHO. I also have a Tivo Premiere and the lack of a browse function is maddening. You have to create your instant queue and those are the only videos that you can watch.

Roku has the distinction of being 'first' in the stream box arena. I had one for a time in college to watch Netflix on my tube SD TV of the time. Now, I use my ATV2 for everything. It's particularly useful for all the iTunes store purchases that I've accumulated.

4. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

Got 3 Rokus myself ...never had a problem with the UI even back when it only displayed a single line of titles from your queue. Now that you can view multiple categories and search directly from the couch I don't see what else you really need. I also have a PS3, and I can't really say I like that UI any better. Roku wins out against the PS3 anyway because it only uses 5 watts and there's no fan noise to put up with.

5. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I have both a Roku and an Apple TV2, and yes, I do agree the UI on the Roku is simplistic and more blocky looking, but gets the job done I guess. I like the ability to browse Netflix better on the Apple TV2. But, Roku is the only player that I know of that has Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Video on Demand, all 3 in one box. Right now Apple TV2 is a little too limited, so Roku fills in the blanks.

6. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

Can you jailbreak a roku?

Is it possible to add something like icefilms on the roku

7. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

No need to. You can create your own channels if you have some programming experience. Although the codecs that work on the box are limited. They also allow people to publish those channels so that you can add them via a special code.

8. Smoothness macrumors regular

What sold me is the xds having a usb option. Stick a thumb drive of ya fave movies in there and you good!