Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Seriously? Why would they take that away, i used that feature all the time.
just updated from SL and I'm having a hard time adjusting to that.

I know you can do 3 or 4 fingers up but mission control sucks - especially with multiple monitors.

why would they take that away from us - they didn't even put something in it's place, it seems like 3 or 4 fingers does the exact same thing.

is there a work-around for this?
am i just crying about something a year after everybody else?

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
BetterTouchTool can help with gestures and TotalSpaces with replacing Mission Control and bringing back Spaces (the current incarnation of TotalSpaces is quite fluid, though I haven't found a way to trigger Exposé via mouse in grid view yet).

ok - i really am going to have to try these out. i thought i'd give it a day to get used to it, but they really killed the trackpad in my opinion. i know what they are trying to do with the over all experience but i really don't like it. i couldn't get my mail app back to "classic layout" fast enough, for example as i have always hated reading emails on my iPad.

but the trackpad...what have they done? the trackpad, to me, is worth the price of admission to the whole mac experience by itself!

while i've already whined about no 4-swipe = apple-tab, i just noticed that the 3-swipe up/down doesn't snap to the top or bottom of a document. this is actually a bigger interruption to my productivity.

i am having a hard time getting used to the 2-finger back/forward as opposed to 3 but i suppose i will get there.

i guess i just don't understand the app doc...i liked having a few (stocks, calculator, weather, flights etc) but i set mouse to one corner to bring them up. that's all i need. why did they feel the need to further integrate them into the OS? seems like a ploy to get you to buy more apps more than an attempt to improve user experience.

what really drives me crazy with the mission control choice they went with is that they didn't even ADD a feature, they just took away the old one. 3 and 4 finger swipe up/down both do the EXACT same thing? so why didn't they give you the option to do whatever you wanted like they did in 10.6?

seems like they're going the wrong direction. am i alone on this or even in the minority?

mumph

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
I hate mission control. Its pretty useless in my opinion. We need spaces back. That was great for efficiency. Mission control is a complex nightmare.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
I hate mission control. Its pretty useless in my opinion. We need spaces back. That was great for efficiency. Mission control is a complex nightmare.

yeah. i hate mountain lion.

i feel like a child stomping my foot in the corner but i haven't been this disappointed in an OS upgrade since Windows Vista.

but on the bright side...at least it's not Windows Vista:D

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
mission control is awesome.. better than what was before. on 2 screens it's kinda annoying but well hope they will fix it in 10.9

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
I just downloaded TotalSpaces and find it to be outstanding….very smooth and user friendly. I have always had 4 desktops and really like the setup this app offers ;)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
you're right there!

I get that it's different and thus will alter your previous workflow and productivity. But things change and we must adapt. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft won't put the Start button back or at least one that offers the same functionality as the old one. So for better or for worse, we either adapt or use something else.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
To do a snow leopard 4 fingers down gesture, do a 4 fingers up gesture in mountain lion.

To do a snow leopard 4 fingers up gesture, put all 5 fingers on the touchpad and then spread them.

It's awkward as heII , but it works. I agree the snow leopard gestures were intuitive, and mountain lion I still don't get after 6 months.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
To do a snow leopard 4 fingers down gesture, do a 4 fingers up gesture in mountain lion.

To do a snow leopard 4 fingers up gesture, put all 5 fingers on the touchpad and then spread them.

It's awkward as heII , but it works. I agree the snow leopard gestures were intuitive, and mountain lion I still don't get after 6 months.

it is really awkward. now that i've spent a few days with it i'm starting to get used to it...i do wish they made launchpad more accessible. why not make all of it customizable?

i've also noticed that the 3-finger browser back gesture is not as responsive as it was on SL. sometimes it just doesn't want to work.

hopefully it will be better with mav.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.