Wow. This is actually allowed on American television?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by neiltc13, Aug 23, 2009.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I'm watching last night's episode of Monk - Mr Monk and the UFO. Mr Monk has just been asked where he is staying while in Nevada and he replies "at the Sleep Inn" and I had a little giggle to myself because I thought this was one of those crazy made up things they put in TV shows and video games (like Pro Laps in Grand Theft Auto). Pretty witty I thought.

The next scene comes on:

[​IMG]

Is that the ® symbol there? Yeah, it is. I googled "Sleep Inn" and it turns out it's a real hotel chain operating in the USA. This is incredible to me - the main character has mentioned the company's name AND its main 'product' has now appeared prominently in the middle of the screen. Why is this legal in the USA?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Yeah, product placement never happens anywhere else...

;)

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Why wouldn't it be?

It's advertising. Sleep Inn apparently paid for the writers to use their hotel chain.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Don't be so cynical. The writers might just really like Sleep Inn® and/or that Sleep Inn® was integral to the plot line.

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I did not know this, but it appears the constant stream of advertising we in the US are so numb to, is not approved in the EU:

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/editorialguidelines/edguide/editorial/productplacemen.shtml

That would be a nice change....

6. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

In the UK Ofcom regulates the communications and media industries, and in their broadcasting code it states this:

So this wouldn't be allowed to happen in the UK at all. I didn't realise that other countries were so lax in this area - surely this sort of thing is bad for viewers?

7. Dany M macrumors 6502

No they weren't I watched the episode and they actually got a "REAL" inn for the show to use. Never new it was disgusting for a show to use an actual ITEM for the show. Tons of shows do it, it is simple, increase realism and possibly they are paid for half the stuff if lucky. It is not illegal nor should it be, it is just basic advertisement at that or maybe it was an actual inn where they were shooting so they decided to use it?

You just reading too much into nothing

How is simply having an actual inn in the show that is real be bad for the viewers? Will they have a stroke at the realization that their are product placements in shows?

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Why?

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Really? Interesting its not allowed in the EU.... personally I don't care that its in the show or not

10. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

We're numb to it. Or if we bother to notice it at all, we laugh at it.

Apple isn't above it, either, assuming Alec Baldwin flashing an iPhone wasn't gratuitous...

11. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Well the more vulnerable people watching the show (children, elderly or people who are not able to make a clear judgement on what is happening on screen) may believe that the product is being endorsed by the character or company.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

GASP!

The horror!
    :rolleyes:

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The product is being endorsed ...

14. bartelby macrumors Core

And those kind of people think anything on TV is real, fictional or not.

Look at all the folk who think TV characters are real people.

15. Dany M macrumors 6502

And if they think that then what? Will they call their local congressmen?:confused::confused:

I honestly don't see a problem here.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How is this surprising at all? Take apple for instance, they have a whole warehouse full of device (computers, screens, iphones etc) ready to ship out to movie and tv studios to appear in shows and films.

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, House M.D. is full of Apple products ... Do you think they just happened to be there?

19. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Just tell me who killed Trudy Monk and I don't care who they endorse.

20. samiwas macrumors 65816

Wow. Keep watching American TV. You will be simply astounded at the sheer amount of product placement/advertising that happens during shows. Not to mention that every thirty-minute show has even minutes of commercials intertwined.

It has gotten so ridiculous, that even shows like "The Deadliest Catch", which is pretty much a reality/documentary-style show have things like "The Duracell Catch". No, they can't just tell you what each boat caught, they have to let you know that Duracell paid to have their name on that part of the show. I *HATE* it, because Duracell has absolutely nothing to do with catching fish, and I just hate seeing ads on everything (this is but one in a line of examples)

The you have the Budweiser Half-Time Report, the Nike scoreboard, and the worst: with the new technology that can overlay graphics like it's actually part of the action, you get rotating commercial logos ON THE FIELD. I mean, really?

No, the US is an advertising mecca. It is everywhere. I don't mind someone drinking a certain beverage, or using a certain computer, or walking into a real-life hotel chain in a show...that shows somewhat reality. But out-of-character blatant advertising during shows is annoying.

EDIT: While I don't agree that it should be illegal because unsuspecting people (naïve people) might fall into some sort of trap, I just think blatant product placement shouldn't be done because it's freakin' annoying.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My favorites are always crap like "This home run brought to you by Chevy" as if Chevy really had anything to do with a batter hitting a home run :rolleyes: "This home run brought to you by steroids" would be more accurate.

22. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

This whole thing drives me nuts, I mean in some TV shows they cover the apple logo although anyone would know.

the thing which is funny a show "Boston Legal" covers the logo on laptops the lawyers use but on one episode a lawyer get dumped for an iPhone and they keep mentioning the iPhone lol

23. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

So under this apparent law, no TV show could ever use any branded product?
    Nope, you can't use that desk from IKEA.
    Nope, you can't use that computer.
    Nope, you can't use that car.
    You have to make it all yourself from scratch.
    :confused::confused::confused:

24. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

This happens because of DVRs.

If people didn't skip commercials, there would be less reason to put product placement in.

Ask yourself why TV channels now put ads for other shows on DURING a different show. Not during commercial break, but a big 25% of the screen, distracting ad.

I don't miss TV. I only see it when I go visit my folks, and it's very distracting when you're trying to watch something and the channel overlays a bunch of crap about something else.

25. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Lol, this reminds me of I think Wednesday's Red Eye. They were talking about the Lockerbie bomber being released, and he was wearing a Nike cap in the video they were showing, and they called it the "ultimate product placement."
    :D

Last time I checked, Ikea stuff doesn't have big IKEA print on it.