Wow, this will throw off average PB G4 prices...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by catzilla, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

"Your friends will be like, "Sweet old-school apple product, bro." And you'll be like, "It's practically mint condish—." And then that barista you've had your eye on—you know, the one with the psychedelic Virgin mother tattoo—will be like, "Yeah, I'm so over the 90's resurgence. Early aughts computing is Where. It's. At. Here, have a free macchiato, and my number." No promises…but this is a very respectable specimen."

Hehe.. I wish I could sell a very average PowerBook and make $500. Yeah it's in good shape, but wow, not a 1.67 high res.

2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Sorry guys. I let my mother get on the internet again. :eek:

3. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I would've stopped bidding at $50. Now that I think of it, I saw someone selling a PowerBook G4, about the same hardware as this one for $600 on Kijiji local classifieds. I wonder if it's still up there...Yep, it is. It looks like a Titanium one too.

I found a PowerBook 145 and even that's being sold for less!

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Have to like the fact it's people with 0 ratings that make the bids super high!

Attached Files:

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I had a zero rating once. :D

Five years ago, when sellers were actively banning zero ratings from their auctions it made it difficult to find a Mac auction I could enter.

Five years later and my rating is only 48. But then, I'm only on eBay really for electronics and electronics are generally expensive. Ergo, I don't shop there a lot. My wife on the other hand…:rolleyes: Registered later than I did and blew past me in her rating a long, long, time ago, LOL!

6. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

They're paying the $530 for the killer sales pitch, while clinging on to that slim chance of getting off with a barista.

Desperation has no budget I guess.

7. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

I'm not sure I understand any PB G4 pricing any more. Looking around today I see http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-Powerbook-G4-15-Works-Perfectly-/131208613843?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item1e8ca48fd3 which is at $180 for a 15" that is only distinguished by having a 160GB drive.

Then there is http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-PowerBook-G4-1-67-GHz-15-1-5-GB-RAM-HDD-80GB-PERFECT-/161325958705?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item258fc6c631 which is, at least, a 1.67ghz system, but is over $100 *plus* $54 for shipping.

Is any PB G4 worth > $100, let alone >$150? It seems like if I'm going to spend $150 then I should probably be looking at an early MacBook instead.

8. reco2011 macrumors 6502a

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I spent $150 on a late 2006 black MacBook even though I have much newer systems (late 2012 rMBP, 2013 MBA). I even spent $45 on a G3 iBook. I bought them because I had specific reasons to do so.

I just picked up a pristine 2010 white unibody MacBook (not Macbook Pro) for $174.

9. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

10. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

Agreed, but where is the common sense? I can see, for instance, where a PB 180 might demand a higher price than a PB G4. In that case, there are less surviving examples of the former and many of those are in the hands of collectors. Even your iBook G3 probably falls into this case.

Here, though, we are talking a comparative commodity. There should be a point where the buyer is saying "Hey! That's too much. I'll just bid on this other one instead," but that point appears not to be happening in these cases.

That's the part I don't get.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You have two kinds of sellers here that explain this.

The first kind is the kind that has zero idea of what they are selling. They have no idea about PowerPC/Intel and the Mac runs OS X. It looks a lot like the newer Macs and they don't look too close at it. They are expecting to get a price similar to what they are seeing other (Intel) Macs selling for.

The second kind of seller knows what they have. But they also know that there are plenty of buyers out there who don't. They are going to take advantage of pricing on current (Intel) Macs and try and make a buck by selling their PowerPC Mac at those prices. Someone gullible will walk into it.

Honestly, I'm starting to find that the business equipment liquidators are the best route, at least on eBay. Generally, these people deal with PC equipment and have no idea what they have. But instead of assuming, like the first kind of seller I mentioned, that they have a modern Mac they take the opposite route. Because they don't know what they have they underprice the sale.

I scored a perfectly good iBook G4 1.42Ghz recently for $40 this way. The only thing "wrong" with it was that it needed a new OS installed. The previous owner had smartly wiped the hard drive and turned it over to the liquidator. The liquidator couldn't even find the serial and sold it as for parts or repair because it booted with a "?" mark on the screen. Full ram, 60GB hard drive, perfect screen, trackpad and keyboard. BT, Airport, everything. This is my second score on sellers like this.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There is other trickery on eBay. Some sellers will change the wallpaper on Leopard to Mavericks and probably Yosemite when it comes and will use themes to make it look like Mavericks. This way people go to Apple see that wallpaper and go to eBay and think it is a newer machine.

It isn't scamming in theory, but definitely the shady scheme of things.

13. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

Okay, but what's with the buyers? Respectfully, whoever paid $530 for the 17" PB G4 was an idiot. At what point, if ever, would he have stopped bidding and moved on to another auction? Ditto for the 15" at $180.

14. reco2011 macrumors 6502a

Eventually the market will take care of it. It doesn't hurt to ask a high price and see if someone bites. After all it's unlikely someone will give a seller more than their asking price so start high and bring it down if it doesn't sell. I saw someone asking a ridiculous price on a Cube. I offered what I thought was a fair price and he got upset. I saw it listed on CL for months afterwards. I don't know what it eventually sold for (assuming it sold) but I did see the seller lower the price a couple of times over those months.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, the buyers can be uneducated too. 2006 is ancient history in the computer world. If you could poll the Mac users and potential Mac users of today I would bet you'd find that a majority of them are unaware of the Intel transition.

$530 is much less than you'd find for a refurb or brand new Mac. If buyers think they are getting a modern Mac then this would be seen as a deal from their perspective I guess.

It's unfortunate that during the transition, Apple had not really gained the market share and recognition it has today. The Apple community of the time heard and was aware of what was going on, but it never got much publicity beyond that. The general public who does not deal with Macs on the level we do are just clueless.

16. reco2011 macrumors 6502a

Did they? When I see someone with zero feedback bidding up an auction I suspect it's the seller bid up their item.

17. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Nah, my bet would be *******s that want to make it so you can't sell the item and make you relist. Although I've had people with quite a bit of feedback say they can't buy my item and back out.

18. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

eBay is really good at catching people shill bidding, it is totally illegal.

19. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Recently came upon a 1.67 PB G4 for $1300 on eBay. Can you believe it didn't sell? :rolleyes: