Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
setting the volume settings at 375% on my VLC player makes everything sound absolutely wonderful!

zachery

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
well

i know im not a pro or anything im 17 but when i litsen to m music on itune i just boost the equalizer a bit not to the max the speekers do a weird sound but well... thats all

camden350

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
I think i might be able to help with this

I had the same problem, whether it was listening music, or watching movies, the macbook speakers were not loud enough.

I looked around and found a program called "audio hijack" (http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/)

This program boosts the volume of specific applications or the entire system.

I have used this program for very long and have put the volume to a point where the speakers were distorted, and they were still fine, i wouldnt worry about blowing them :)

Good luck, i haven't found any free programs that do the same thing

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
If you want to increase the volume in iTunes, just open up the equalizer and drag the pre-amp to the top...as shown below.

It really does increase the volume.

EDIT: HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!!!!

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 62

VelfarreClubber

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Fullerton, CA
I guess its revived again

First I'll start off with saying I'm thinking of buying my first mac, a used powerbook g4 1.67ghz 15" to replace my awesome toshiba qosmio f15 http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-qosmio-f15-av201/4505-3121_7-31138490.html so that i can use ical with the iphone. Also I was pretty upset at getting a virus soon after my norton antivirus subscription expired (what a load of crap, I think they themselves make the viruses so that people can keep giving them money)

After a google search and throughly reading this thread I find the consensus that apple laptop speakers suck! right? I've only owned Toshiba laptops because of the great build quality, harman / kardon speakers with loud crisp sound and good bass for its size and lastly for gaming. Now that I'm rarely using both my pc and laptop for games I want to get a mac because its smaller compared to my current one notice in the link how high the screen is from the hinge and the thick border around the screen and the laptop has a loud fan, making it impossible to bring in a classroom.

So will i be totally turned off after making the move? I want to be able to hear music and youtube without having my ears next to the speakers, for the people who say its a laptop and expect it to sound like crap you really need to take a look at toshiba's harman kardon and hp's altec lansing. Anyone else make a similar move like myself? I'd love to hear your opinions!

yhline

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
Macbook speakers are garbage

had a PBG4 12" for a year, then bought a black macbook a couple months ago, just sold the macbook and went back to my powerbook.

discounting the processor speed and screen quality, powerbook to macbook was a downgrade. powerbook has better hinges, more solid feel, a more comfortable and luxurious keyboard, no flex on the body.

the black macbook is beautiful but the body creaks, scratches on the plastic are obvious. the hinges are weak and will loosen quickly.

and of course, what is up with those macbook speakers?? those are the quietest speakers ive ever heard. i think the reason is that powerbook actually has 3 speakers; the two obvious ones on the sides and one mid-range woofer that faces up underneath the F8/F9 keys.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i think the reason is that powerbook actually has 3 speakers; the two obvious ones on the sides and one mid-range woofer that faces up underneath the F8/F9 keys.

The MacBook has three speakers; two pointing to the back, and a little sub (maybe about 0.5" diameter) at about the #7-8 keys.

slashjunior

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2007
Yeah they are quiet but to be honest I am not that bothered. I use the sound usually when in bed watching a DVD, listening to Last.fm or watching a few YouTube clips and it is always audible, it is usually nearly up to the limit though. When I didn't have my iMac then I connected it to my external speakers at my desk and when I am out and about I am usually in a coffee shop, library or office where unless you want you get kicked out then using headphones is a good idea.

So in conclusion, yes they are quiet but for my needs they are fine. If your MacBook is your main computer. As my MacBook only has 80GB of space I don't even have any music stored on the MacBook, it is all on my iMac (backed up with Time Machine ;) ), I just use the iPhone instead.

Mercellus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
The speakers on my MacBook Pro (Late 2008) can be turned up quite loud but they do not "rattle" at all or otherwise sound as if they were blown, they are clear as could be.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Lets compare...

How does the sound quality of the MacBook White/Black compare to those from the more recent UniBody MacBook?

Which one's sound better?
and LOUDER??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.