wow, time capsule rules!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DisplacedMic, Aug 11, 2013.

1. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

on my 2008 mb, for whatever reason i'm not noticing the same slow-down that i would notice when time machine kicked in. i wonder why that is? powering up the USB drive maybe?

during the initial backup there was some slowdown and i noticed more skipping while streaming a movie to my PS3, but otherwise i don't notice the backups.

and it's even faster on my MBA.

on the macbook i often unplugged TM while working because it slowed my computer down a bit and annoyed me (i know, unplugging it while actually working w/ important data might not be too wise) so i worried about time capsule but those fears were obviously unfounded!

i do however have perceived slower wifi connection, need to do some benchmarks to be sure though before i start whinging about that.

bottom line though - time capsule might be my new favourite apple product!

2. 835153 Guest

The first time you turn TM on it has to copy EVERYTHING over to the TC so things will be slow while it does so (and it may take a long time depending on how much its copying).

If you keep turning your drive on and off then you are forcing TM to make bigger backups thus taking longer to do so and slowing your machine down. Keep TC plugged in and it will backup every hour. It only backs up changes you make so changes within an hour are going to be much smaller and quicker to back up than when you turn the drive off for three days. Turning your drive on and off will also increase the chances of files being missed and not backed up and also corruptions and will also shorten the life of your TC.

Keep it plugged in and let it do its thing.

As for the speed difference I would image the Air is USB2.

3. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah i know all that - i'm saying that the hourly time machine backups cause my computer to slow down, even if only briefly in the case of a small backup. This doesn't appear to be the case with time CAPSULE which is wireless.

i see no reason why anyone would turn time capsule on and off - especially if they're using it as a router/extender.

the speed difference between the air and the mb has nothing to do w/ USB as time capsule is wireless. even still, the usb ports it does have are usb 2.0, not 3.

4. 835153, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

835153 Guest

Oh, I read your post as though you were using it via USB.

My old Mac Pro at work slows down when backing up. My new SSD iMac however doesnt even seem to back up it does it so fast hehe.

EDIT: After reading your post (a few times) I think I now understand what your saying. You were using a USB drive to backup to via TimeMachine and now you have bought a TimeCapsule its much faster. Is that right? If so its not totally clear in your post hence my confusion.

Still not totally sure of the speed differences though.

5. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

probably my fault for not being clear:D

and i only notice this speed diff on the old macbook, the air is fast w/ both.
    and by probably i of course mean definitely - but yes, that's exactly what i mean. sorry - just excited about my new toy:p