Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I've returned for another tour of duty to WoW. After some suggestions, I've been running WoW on my Windows 8.1 partition because the user interface, EVILUI, only runs on Windows.

Do you guys have any suggestions for Mac compatible user interfaces?

Do you guys have any suggestions for Mac compatible addons? The curse client is no longer supported on Mac, but a lot of the addons still work.

Thanks!

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
It is sad they are stopping further development on the Mac Curse Client and moving the version 4 client to unsupported status but they do still make it available for download and I can verify that it works fine. I just used it to update my add-ons.

Fortunately if it becomes obsolete altogether at some point there is always the option to manually download and install updates. I will miss the client's convenience when it comes to that but in my case I only use a few add-ons so it wouldn't be a big deal updating them after patches, etc.

I suspect the real reason they are dropping support (the spin on the site is bs) is simply that not many Mac users were buying into Curse and paying for premium service. I never considered that worthwhile myself. It's a little utility that's nice but certainly not worth a subscription to make it work a little faster.

For me there is no way I'd reboot to Windows to play WoW when I can play in OS X just for an automated add-ons installer. It isn't hard to install an add-on manually. That's what I did before Curse and it's what I'll do after Curse I guess.

I cannot suggest alternative UIs because I prefer the default. I've always believed it is good to be minimalistic with add-ons so when changes break them they don't wreak havoc with my game time with WoW. The few I do use and like, all on the OS X version of WoW are:

Auctioneer - very useful AH selling tool
Recount - dps meters
Altoholic - helps me keep track of which alt has what stuff on them, etc.

If I wind up doing any raiding, I'll install Deadly Boss Mods as well. I think it is pretty much expected for raiders to have this running to provide alerts, etc. during boss encounters in raid instances.

Last edited:

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
I've returned for another tour of duty to WoW. After some suggestions, I've been running WoW on my Windows 8.1 partition because the user interface, EVILUI, only runs on Windows.

Do you guys have any suggestions for Mac compatible addons? The curse client is no longer supported on Mac, but a lot of the addons still work.

Thanks!

I use a modified version of LUI. In terms of addons, they all work on Macs without any issues. You can still get the Curse Alpha Mac version from their website and it is fine since only the client is not being updated while the addons are as they are the same for Win.

The following are addons that you would probably need:

Deadly Boss Mods/Bigwigs - Raid encounter warnings
GTFO - Avoidable damage warnings
MikScrollingBattleText(MSBT)/Scrolling Combat Text - Easier visuals for numbers
Omen - Threat meter, only a must for tanks although still good to have.
Recount/Skada - Damage meter, I use both.
Auctionator/Auctioneer - Revised AH interface, helps you make or save money.
Bagnon/Onebag - Combines bags into a single one.
Bartender - Allows you to move bars around.
Sell Junk - Sells junk.
Auto Repair - Auto repairs.
Carbonite - Quest DB
Gatherer/Gathermate - Assists with gatherings profs.
Postal - Helps with in-game mail sorting and opening.
Overachiever - For achievement whoring.
OGlow - Quicker recognition of item rarity.
Prat/Chatter - Chat interface solutions.
OQueue - Will help you find groups for everything.
Badboy - Spam blocker.

Those will help you in most situations, there are of course other addons that you may need but it gives a good place to start. I use significantly more but a lot of them are specific to profs, classes, specs, encounters, etc...

Fnord

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2005
I've been using CT Mod since vanilla, the newest updates are on curse instead of http://www.ctmod.net/ and you have to download the modules individually.

Livestock is good for mounts and pets.

KBaity

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
Currently, I just run it on a wineskin. Super simple, easy to use system. Only drawback: manual updates of addons, unless you want to use CurseV4.

taaronnicholson

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010

Thanks!

Do you mean ElvUI? It runs perfectly fine on OSX, even the updater app. All WoW addons that work in Windows also work in OSX because they aren't platform-dependent - they plug right into the WoW client.

The Curse Client still works but is not officially supported by Curse. You can still download it and it still works fine. All of the addons on Curse will work on both OSX and Windows.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston

Thanks!

ElvUI runs just fine on both platform. Guessing you're installing it incorrectly.

Move the two folders after expanding things. WoW- Interface- Addons. Drop into Addons folder. If the game is running, restart completely and then log back in. Voila...

Don't even need Cursed Client. You can make a shortcut for the Addon folder in your finder window on the left side, go into the download folder where you downloaded whatever addon you want then drag the file over. Sometimes you may need to open that folder you just downloaded and drag the individual folders out, but it all works. There are no platform exclusive adds, minus like maybe logitech/razer things from your peripherals if that.

Kona 1430

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2018

Thanks!
[doublepost=1534240630][/doublepost]I've been running ELVUI for about a year on both a Macbook Pro and a 24" Mac with no problems. You need to keep it up to date to run right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.