Wow! What the %?$ is that?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Racineur, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Racineur macrumors regular

Racineur

Hello, what a New Year surprise. That ghost image now appears in the upper middle part of the screen when I reboot or turn off my iMac. Seems to me like a message window about a packet. Can someone point me in the right direction on what it is please. An Apple Care matter? I really don't understand what it is or where it cones from. Kind of scary...
    27 late 2012 iMac / 3.2 i5 / 1TB FD / 8 Ram / OSX 10.8.5

Attached Files:

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Can you see it when you get into the OS proper? I leant toward image retention, but it looks a little too well-defined to be that, possibly...

3. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Image retention does not come in color afaik. I'm guessing something is stuck in memory somehow. Did you try unplugging the computer?

Try SMC and PRAM reset if you haven't already. I'm sure it's something that can be fixed without sending it in for repairs.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

Right. It looks far too well-defined (color or otherwise!). Just was my first thought given the iMac reputation blah blah. Either way it's odd. :eek:

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It looks like a dialog box trying to come up before the system freezes for shutdown. If that's the case and if it only appears during shutdown it's nothing to worry about.

6. Racineur thread starter macrumors regular

Racineur

Adware Medic cure my iMac

Hello and thanks a lot for your hints. I ran a small program called Adware Medic and it did it. AM cleaned several files associated to Safari extensions the likes of "cinema plus" or "menubar" with some having a .kext. Really would like to know where they come from. Anyway, I did a PRAM reset after.

Thanks a lot:)

7. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Ah, I misunderstood your original post. I thought that it was visible all the time and that rebooting didn't help.

Good to hear that you managed to fix it! :)

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You probably got adware that came along with some apps you downloaded. Give these articles a look. Yu can help avoid this by only downloading apps directly from the developer.

http://www.thesafemac.com/boycott-cnets-download-com/

http://www.thesafemac.com/boycott-softonic/