WoW.. which laptop to buy.. plzzz help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by antrasulo, Feb 9, 2009.

1. antrasulo macrumors newbie

ok, i've been searching forums and what, trying to really figure out which laptop would be best for me, as of now the only game i play is World of Warcraft. i have a 2006 macbook(white) with 1gb of ram and 64mb of vram no chip and it runs wow on all low settings at an average of 20 fps.

im looking at either the High end MBP with 512mb of vram and 4gb ram, Low End MBP 256mb of vram and 2gb of ram, or a macbook with 4gb ram option. i really want to get excellent framerates. Which laptop should i go with, which is best bang for buck.

also if anyone has any of these notebooks, could you post some framerates you get with medium settings, in cities an raids and just PvE'ing in open spaces

thanks in advance

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Well the regular macbook will run it fine. Now, if you want to make sure that your computer will run future games well, go with the MBP. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. The regular mb will run any game that's out now just fine.

3. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I guess that depends on how you view "just fine." A hard-core gamer likely won't be happy with Crysis on a MacBook.

5. junior77 macrumors regular

I find this hard to believe... especially with the new WoTLK improved graphics.

6. 0makol16 macrumors regular

0makol16

The laptop I use for WoW is in my sig. I get about 55 to 70 fps outside and 40 to 50 fps in capitals BUT I only get 15 to 20 fps in Dalaran. I run it at medium/high settings.

7. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I play wow fine on my GMA 950 macbook, in the 10th guild on my server with all content cleared. Apart from malygos 10 man i have not had any performance issues.

8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

If you're mostly concerned about some gaming - WoW, then the 2.4 alu MacBook is very close to the low end MacBook Pro until you get to higher end more demanding games when the dedicated 512MB card comes into play. benchmark shows the 2.4MB is competitive, and it'll save you a few hundred.. hell even the 2.0 is a very capable machine which is what I have and game on. Fallout3, L4D, etc. Crysis will only be on all low..

9. antrasulo thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all for replying, im honestly leaning more toward keeping my laptop for school, and grinding in WoW and just getting the amazing 24" imac:] but i have to wait and see if they are coming out with a new imac anytime soon

10. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

truth:

9400M MB: 40+ FPS most of the time, setting to low-mid (looks good, plays smooth) you can set the graphics higher in exchange for FPS loss

9600M MBP: 50+ FPS most of the time, settings ALL HIGH except full shadows, you can set the shadows on but expect FPS to drop to 30-40. keep in mind this is at a higher resolution then the MB as well!

11. 0makol16 macrumors regular

0makol16

idk why you're saying the 9400M gets 40+ fps on medium/low, I get 50 to 76 fps on medium/high, it rarely dips below 40. Ill take acreenshots and post them next time I log into WoW.

12. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

if you dont specifically need a laptop then yes, the 24" top end iMac is just amazing. i play wow on full 1920x1200 and it works perfectly. it rarely drops below 40fps in HUGELY crowded cities, like org (at least on my server) has about 60 just crowded round the post box:p. but yeah, it runs perfectly. infact it runs at this as well as having a second screen as well and playing iTunes and with everything else open. i hardly ever switch the machine off.

but i have also just ordered a new MBP 15" top end, so i presume the graphics will be better.

what is strange though is that the iMac never ever goes above 60fps. well i see it does but the number displayed on WoW's mini computer button (the one that is either green, yellow or red) is never above 60. could be because the second monitor is actually a TV limited to 60Hz

13. Marcuse macrumors newbie

I think that if you have v-sync enabled in WoW (should be by default), the maximum frame rate will be the same as your monitor's refresh rate.

14. aluminumapple macrumors regular

i have all my settings to max high with every setting on i get 45+ fps.. maybe because i have a 2.4 4gb ram..? but even than that doesnt make a huge difference...

15. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Since the normal Al MacBook will run it, the low end MBP will definitely run it well.

16. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

Man WoW plays great on my S#$%^Y iMac and just yesterday I got to level 46 mage and I ran out and started making fun of a bunch of noobs...... WoW ROCKS!

17. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The MB runs WoW just fine.

If you are planning to use external sceen get a MBP.
    MB with a 22 inch screen and Wintergrasp on high pop server = 3-4FPS with everything on low :p

18. SecondDealer macrumors regular

MB will run WoW fine but the nice thing about the MBP is the separate graphics card, my main point is don't pay apple for a ridiculously expensive RAM upgrade. Purchase your computer without tons of RAM and install it yourself, thats what I did, as long as you keep your original RAM to reinstall if you have a problem later on you'll be fine.