Wow, Why does my mac continue to be stupid?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Krafty, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Aside of having to downgrade back to 1GB RAM, I just got my 250GB HD (Which makes great irritating click noises BTW).

I load Leopard into it, it installs and everything, I go into update and let it update. I then leave for about an hour and a half to be greeted with a gray sign saying I have to restart by holding down the power button. I do so, and then it flashes a folder with a "?"

So I plug in my HD with Leopard in it, and now disk utlilty (nor does the Leopard installer) doesnt even see my HD. (Well, DU sees it as just "Media" and wont let me do anything to it)

Seriously, if its not one thing its another...

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If it's making "irritating click noises," that probably means it's dead/dying (and was that way on arrival), hence its disappearance as a volume.

Why'd you have to downgrade to a GB of RAM, btw?

3. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Awesome. Just what a college student wants to hear...
    Cause its stupid and can't function correctly with 1 2GB stick...Photoshop freezes all the damn time and while I was working on a project in it my whole MacBook just shuts down.

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Um.....not to put too fine a point on it but Photoshop really is meant for more powerful, more professional level machines.......If you were on a MacBook Pro and complaining or a Mac Pro and complaining, well, that would be a different story. The MacBook is not a professional-level computer. With its integrated graphics it is not going to perform at anywhere near the level of a MacBook Pro or a Mac Pro. I wouldn't be so quick to call the machine "stupid."

5. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

No, the machine is stupid.

I need a MacBook Pro but can't afford it so now im stuck with this thing, but everytime I upgrade something either I need to upgrade again so something goes wrong.

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well, if it's DoA you should be able to get a replacement free of charge. I'd contact the place you bought it from.

Well, RAM is supposed to be installed in the MacBook in pairs. So if you wanted 2GB, you'd need to install 2 1GB sticks. You might have also bought RAM that didn't agree with the MacBook—OS X tends to be finicky about RAM, and buying name-brand (Crucial and Kingston are solid bets) helps a lot with stability.

Also, to the poster above, the graphics chip has nothing to do with Photoshop's performance.

7. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

I need the stuff now, I can't be waiting to ship things back and forth.

8. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

UMMM... My iMac 500 mhz G3 runs PhotoshopCS pretty well .. So I don't know why his MUCH newer macbook can't run CS , CS2 or CS3 ?

It's obviously a problem with your machine...

Sorry.

Ang

9. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

What a dumb comment. The MacBook is a very good machine, especially a higher-end model. The whole "consumer" and "pro" branding is stupid, and obviously thinks this as they are trying hard to get away from it. Any machine is only going to be as good as the components you choose to put it in. A MacBook may lack a dedicated graphics card but that doesn't make it a bad machine.

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have to agree that photoshop while a pro app is not a graphics card intensive app like animation or video and will run just fine on a MacBook with integrated graphics. Now as far as the HDD and RAM, it sounds like the HDD is bad, and while RAM is recommended to be installed in pairs, a single 2GB stick should be just fine. However the brand and quality of the RAM may be questionable. Hopefully you didn't buy really cheap stuff and in return get junk. Even though with name brand stuff it is possible to get defective merchandise which should be warranty'd by any reputable reseller. Hopefully you have seated both the HDD and RAM correctly when installing and used a static wrist strap or at least taken precautions to ground yourself prior to handling the HDD or the RAM. The fact that you are having problems with both the RAM and the HDD leads me to think that either you bought bargain basement junk or that you have mishandled/incorrectly installed them. Either that or someone up there doesn't like you too much.

11. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

I got Kingston 2GB stick and Western Digital 250GB hD

12. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

About the HD clicking noise. Many people who changed the HD themselves experienced a click sound coming from the HD. You can find some discussions here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6072779
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6011303
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6114301

I resolved it by using hdapm.

About the RAM. Are you sure you are using the specific memory for your model? Did you use the memory configurator on Kingston site?
    Also keep in mind that some early models may not support the 2GB stick (From your signature that's probably the case: MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo, needs 2x1GB sticks)

By the way, I have a Macbook and it is working fine with Photoshop and all other standard applications.

13. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Apologies to all you MacBook users whom I inadvertently insulted! I shouldn't have written what I did, especially inasmuch as I have not used Photoshop on a MacBook myself, only on Mac Pro, iMac or MacBook Pro machines. That is good to know that in fact one CAN run CS3 on a MB.

To be honest what really annoyed me was the OP calling his perfectly decent MacBook "stupid" and laying blame on the machine when it sounds as though there is user error going on......

14. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

This is most likely the problem with the RAM. Your machine NEEDS two 1GB sticks to max out at 2GB.

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That's right about the memory, there's a MacRumors guide about Intel Mac RAM.

16. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

pffffffffffffft
    Yeah, I shipped it back and I'm getting a refund so I can order 2x1GB sticks. I still was looking forward to my 250GB...now I have to wait longer...