WOW! Windows 8 Boot Times!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mm1250, Nov 4, 2011.

1. mm1250 macrumors 6502

2. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

video cut = fake. Also, there is absolutely no software on it. Not even comparable, really.

3. wpotere Guest

Although the video is cut, it is from one that MS released on a laptop with an SSD and the boot time is about 6 to 10 seconds on an SSD machine.

4. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

You're probably right, but I'm still a little skeptical...I'd rather see the full video.

5. garbeth macrumors regular

6. altecXP macrumors 65816

That video is not new its a few months old.

Also:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/20/reengineering-the-windows-boot-experience.aspx
    and
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/08/delivering-fast-boot-times-in-windows-8.aspx

On my Lenovo X200 that uses a slower BIOS (the vid has EFI) Core2 CPU, DDR 1066 RAM and SATA2 SSD is about 13 seconds using the Developer build of 8. Thats a few seconds faster than 7 on the same machine. Faster ram, SSD and CPU are definitely helping that HP boot faster. I also assume that build is more recent than the BUILD release.

7. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

It can be fake even without a cut... With that logic you can never know what's real and what's not on the internet.

8. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

9. szolr macrumors 6502

Well, let's face it-Windows couldn't afford to boot up much slower... I look forward to seeing the next OS and running it through Parallels.

10. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

My machines are put on sleep, and usable in 5 seconds or less. I don't think I've shut 'em down since I bought them.

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I have just finished upgrading all my Macs & PC's to SSD's. While I've compared the boot times for each of them, overall they're all so fast a few seconds one way or another hardly matters.

Of greater importance to me is the day to day working experience.

Microsoft has done an excellent job with Windows 7 SP1. I'm also encouraged and impressed with the beta of Windows 8 I have on another machine.

Yet that said, my absolute favorite by a wide margin is my fully optimized and swift OS X 10.6.5. It's so fast, smooth & stable I simply cannot find a single reason to migrate to Lion at this point.

I have purchased and used a 13" 2011 MBA with it's Lion OS to see what the experience is like. While I can honestly say it's not for me, I'm certainly not going to bash it. The differences are sure to appeal to some, just not to me.

Who knows, its still early in the development curve for 10.7.x. Perhaps as time goes on and feedback continues to flow into Apple, future revs will be more to my liking.

Presently I'm far more concerned over the future of my highly prized Mac Pro. I don't even want to think what will happen if Apple kills it. The future of that segment as far as Apple is concerned is certainly a hot topic of speculation. Only time will tell.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Windows 8's boot is more like a hibernation, hence the boot time. Still great though and I have nothing against it, just noting.

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Not really. I don't really care if my laptop boots up a few seconds faster or slower. For example, I typically turn on my Imac before going into the kitchen to make breakfast, which takes about 5 minutes, so it doesn't really matter if my imac takes 1 second or 1 minute.

You don't really gain much with that time savings. Speed is good and all that, but past a certain point, it starts losing its significance.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yeah, but when it finishes booting its... Windows
    When my Air boots it is OSX
    Think I will wait 2 more seconds

15. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

this is a McDonalds burger in commercials:
    [​IMG]
    this is what they really look like:
    [​IMG]

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't get this hang up on boot speed personally esp with windows. Add an antivirus package to that laptop and then check the boot time!

Personally if I need something booting quick it would be to look up something on the net or check an email! A pc does not come to mind for those tasks!

17. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

18. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

You don't know any of the specs of the machine..it's probably got a Sata III SSD and an i7...put a sata III SSD in the MBP range and it'd boot in about 6s

19. newdeal macrumors 68020

as I have heard that isn't really booting. It is a hibernate state that is suspended to disk, not a full, clean boot. This makes it rather unimpressive

20. sectime macrumors 6502a

That 10 seconds is enough time, for the people who care, to hook up and finish with a mate:cool:

21. weckart macrumors 68040

Yes, but DOS doesn't count. :p

22. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

HAHAHAHAh

23. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

LOL. no, SL.:D

24. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

Lol people still reboot their computers? That's cute.

25. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Typically just Windows
    I usually only reboot when I have an update that requires it