woww.. internal hdd just came from buy.com

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BeyondMountains, Nov 25, 2008.

1. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

You should see how this thing was packaged!

oh my.

It was in a medium size box with a smaller box inside. With paper on top of the small box. The smaller box was on the bottom (the hdd was on the bottom of the smaller box...)

no bubble wrap or anything

and the hdd came in just a brown box that has a sticker on it saying western digital and the serial # not a normal box like you would see at best buy.

fed ex ground brought it to me. im sure its seen hell. doesnt even say fragile im sure it will last me about 10 days

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

OEM drives won't come with fancy packaging, I imagine that's what you got. It'll be fine, just pop it in.

3. apple2E macrumors regular

I received mine from newegg and the box was huge! I opened it up and it was wrapped 10 thousand times in bubble wrap! Opened up the mac pro and slapped it in! Works great!

4. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

ha and people here told me to stay away from new egg because of bad packaging. should have just went with them it would have been here last week.
    this thing took a week to get to me. wtf i live in nj

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Bad packaging from NewEgg? I've never heard of or experienced that in the years I've bought from them. They are the best.

6. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

yeah, i've also never had any problems with newegg.
    course, i've never had issue with buy.com either, but i haven't gotten much stuff from them...

7. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

Just handle it gingerly like the guys from UPS did... carefully holding it while using a static discharge wire. Finally give it a kiss just before installing for long storage and fast access times :p

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, buy from OWC. I had only great experience with them. I never trust these ultra cheap vendors. not so much the packaging, more that they claim the item is in stock but then it either takes weeks to ship or it's "sold out" and they offer you a more expensive replacement.

9. apple2E macrumors regular

Yeah I've read that about newegg also. I've bought plenty from them but never a hard drive. The HDD came in 3 days!

10. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

just installed

osx said "the disk you installed is no recognizable" or something like that.. now? format it?

edit::: nevermind... works after reformatting

11. belvdr macrumors 603

If this is the brand new drive, then yes. Partition and format it in Disk Utility.

EDIT: Okay to your edit. :)

12. rodal126 macrumors newbie

i've bought the WD 640GB and WD 1TB OEM drives from newegg on separate occasions. I'm impressed with their packaging after reading some of the complaints here. My hard drives were bubble wrapped and put in a box filled with packing peanuts.

13. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

It's indeed a normal, standard OEM HDD packaging. At a fancy shop in a fancy packaging, the same thing would cost much more.

sash

14. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I'm saying there was no bubble wrap and that the hdd was basically on the bottom of the box ( there was nothing below it) so when its put down on the ground theres only 2 thin layers of cardboard between the hdd and the ground.