Wowzers! Screen Rotate Lock found on iPhone OS 3.2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoneHome, Apr 9, 2010.

1. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

Edited: iPhone OS 3.1.3 not 3.2

I just came across something verrry interesting. I just noticed the screen rotate lock that we have recently seen appear on the iPad OS but on my iPhone. C’mon Apple can you just unlock some of the features we already have. Here’s what I have going on to make it happen. my iPhone 3GS is connected to my MacBook Pro, as well as my iPad (I’m not sure if that has something to do with it). It doesn’t seem like the “ringer” switch triggers or affects it as you can see.

Let me know if anybody else can replicate the same awesomeness. Thanks.

http://urbngeek.wordpress.com/2010/04/09/wowzers-screen-rotate-lock-found-on-iphone-os-3-2/

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

iPhone OS 3.2 is only for the iPad, so if you somehow hacked it onto an iPhone, of course there's going to be stuff from the iPad on there (like the rotate lock icon). Or do you mean the 4.0 beta?

Since the iPhone really needs the mute switch to be used as a mute switch (to mute it during meetings, in theaters, etc...) until they have a iPhones with two slide switches (one for mute one for rotate lock), I doubt you'll find rotate lock on an iPhone.

Besides, the iPad really needs it since it's more responsive to changes in orientation AND the way you use it means it'll be laid flat more often (and laying a iphone flat can sometimes rotate the screen to an odd orientation). That's obviously why they changed the mute switch to a rotate lock switch at the last minute.

3. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

Looks to me like you took a iPad screenshot and loaded it photos on your iPhone, Good try though.:rolleyes:

4. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

I definitely did not use a screenshot from the iPad. You can see it fading in and out. No trolling for me my friend.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why is apple even bothering with 3.2? I mean 4.0 will be out the door "officially" in a couple of months. 3.2 should been in our hands last year not right before 4.0's release.

6. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

Not quite sure. I think they would haw released it to the masses yesterday but there really aren't any apps that have been developed for it yet so it would be pointless.

7. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

Umm.... a couple things

1) There is no iPhone OS 3.2.

2) edit: Nevermind, I misread your post.

8. admanimal macrumors 68040

iPhone OS 3.2 exists only on the iPad. There is no iPhone OS 3.2 for the iPhone (ironic, huh?), and probably never will be. The reason that Apple "bothered" with OS 3.2 is to add iPad-specific features to the 3.x branch of iPhone OS.

9. iPhoneHome thread starter macrumors 6502

Oops, got ahead of myself. I'm on v 3.1.3. I'll update the post.

10. CobraGuy macrumors newbie

Screen Lock on iPhone

I just locked the rotate on my iPhone 3GS by mistake and had to figure out how to fix it. I have loaded the latest version of software for the iPhone 3Gs. (I tried it on my wife's 3G and it didn't work). If you double click the button at the bottom, all the applications you are running in the background will show up across the bottom. If you scroll all the way to the left, on that bottom row, you will find a rotate lock that you can toggle on and off. Also I had someone tell me I should close the background apps to save on battery life. If you press and hold any of the apps listed a minus sign will appear at the upper left of each one. Tap the minus sign and the app closes completely.

I hope this helps.

11. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Nice and threadomancy there sir. This thread deals with iOS 3.2 not the iOS 4.1 your device is likely using.

12. Trat macrumors regular

This is a hoax. I had like two apps that offered this type of lock in the program (you can clearly see he runs one of those apps). Can't remember which one but I remember one was a news app.

Move along sir, nothing to see here.