Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Steve Jobs claimed Android was a stolen OS and vowed revenge on Google ...

Quite obvious from the photo with Woz looking like a Google poster boy that he doesn't take the side of Apple and 'hate' Google ...

Woz being an Apple founder I'm surprised by that... while he may not hate Google and we know his love for gadgets ... that's one thing, but to pose on Google's front lawn with a Nexus in his hand just seems weird.

Clearly Woz has 'no' problem with Google ... and he's an Apple founder, makes you wonder then why many Apple fans (like me in a way) want to avoid Samsung and Google products.

Attachments

• woz google nexus.jpg
    woz google nexus.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 339

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Woz is like the patron saint for geeks. Everybody at Silicon Valley over there seems to love him.

Yeah, it looks weird seeing the co-founder of Apple posing a pic with Google employees. And maybe Wozniak hasn't done anything meaningful since Apple II and is just a talking head going on interviews and Dancing With The Stars. But sometimes I feel Apple fans seem to rever the wrong Steve all this time. Without Woz's brilliance in engineering, Apple would have went nowhere. Woz was the brain, Jobs was the voice.

The "nicer Steve" just seems like a cool guy similar to how I feel about Jony Ive. Look at the pic. The man just loves tech. He even picked up a Nexus One last year and lined up for a 4s last month for his wife just because he wanted to be part of the event. Google could easily pull off their apps from iOS just the same and start building exclusive apps with its partners. No war. No hate. Just all smiles in that pic. Makes me smile too just looking at it. Contagious happiness.

Smug Boy

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
Can you validate the authenticity of the photo? If so The Woz left Apple Computer in 85 way before the iOS was even a thought, so I doubt that it would matter to him. On the other hand it might be cool to be able to run the Apple II OS on an Android based device.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Woz is a great guy. Steve was too, in the early days. Yet always one to think he was superior to all others, Jobs acting out as his self crafted star power grew he let it go to his head. Conversely once Woz accomplished all of his goals and so much more, he no longer was willing to tolerate Jobs antics.

Well balanced, extremely intelligent and devoid of an acerbic ego, Woz is truly loved by all. He's very open minded and energized by new ideas no matter who came up with them. Now he's giving back in various ways. Very well read even beyond the technology front, he has a lot in common with the best men & women in all different types of business. With a huge circle if friends, he's a very happy, positive, non-judgmental guy.

His skill as an engineer is unparalleled.

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
I remember an interview in which Woz talked about his White iPhone 4 (in the days before you could buy one at the store and had to mod on your own, like I did.) which he modded himself, and how his other phone was a Nexus One. Woz is just a happy guy.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Steve Jobs claimed Android was a stolen OS and vowed revenge on Google ...

Quite obvious from the photo with Woz looking like a Google poster boy that he doesn't take the side of Apple and 'hate' Google ...

Woz being an Apple founder I'm surprised by that... while he may not hate Google and we know his love for gadgets ... that's one thing, but to pose on Google's front lawn with a Nexus in his hand just seems weird.

Clearly Woz has 'no' problem with Google ... and he's an Apple founder, makes you wonder then why many Apple fans (like me in a way) want to avoid Samsung and Google products.

Its called fanboyism while one of the founders has an open mind. Jobs tried to close that open mind. And thats no dis. Jobs was a great inovator but whined that Android was a stolen product while he did the same thing.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Its called fanboyism while one of the founders has an open mind.

I disagree being a fanboy is different from liking what one likes. Just because someone hates android doesn't make that person a fanboy it just means thats what they like.

But if someone has a rabid obsession with making someone agree with their POV thats a fanboy.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I disagree being a fanboy is different from liking what one likes. Just because someone hates android doesn't make that person a fanboy it just means thats what they like.

But if someone has a rabid obsession with making someone agree with their POV thats a fanboy.

This was the statement:

Nothing wrong with either platform imo. For me, i like customization and the fact that i can do it and often on Android. iOS works well and does a good job but you just cant customize it as well. Just a fact and also the iPhone is behind and will continue to be behind with their slow pace of releases.

For others, it doesnt matter. Apple is what they like simply because it is an iPhone and it is cool to have one. That is the young persons mentality even if they dont like it as well. Soemone even started a lame thread a while back asking something to the effect of " If you see a person of the opposite sex with an iPhone, do you think it makes them look more attractive"?
I mean, REALLY? I couldnt care less what kind of phone they have.

To each their own and the statement quoted above says it all. The OP even asks why he himself wants to avoid Samsung and Google when it seems fine for an Apple founder who looks happy to use it and pose with the competition.

Good question. I say fanboyism plays a big part.

Woz dont care if it is Android. He just likes gadgets and what they do and enjoys them for what they are.

I would consider getting another iPhone if they made the screen bigger and let you customize it the way Android lets you. But they dont!

Last edited:

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
I wouldn't "avoid" google and samsung if i, like woz, had the luxury of multiple cellphones (both lines and devices)...in an interview once he mentioned that both he and his wife had multiple lines. And of course, someone like woz can buy any device outright...I'd love to have a SGSII, Nexus Prime, etc. But I can only have 1 phone (I got a samsung focus for free off contract through a very unique situation, but generally I can't have multiple phones), so I choose iPhone

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Woz is a millionaire tech geek.

Why wouldn't he buy all the toys? In his position, so would I.

Since I can only own one phone, it's an iPhone...

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
That's what makes him a true techie...he just likes good tech, no matter which company makes it.

He even stated that his favourite gadget (at the time) was a Nexus One.

Of course, shortly after making that statement he requested to clarify what he really meant to say...Steve probably pulled him aside for a nice little talk. :p

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Who actually cares. I have a 4s and love it but might pick up a nexus because it's interesting

(is the nexus a world phone btw? Sorry for the thread hijack.)

Superbbrr

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
Woz is a great guy.

When Jobs lied to him about the bonus he received. Woz didn't harbor any bad feelings.

Jobs also screwed over early Apple employees with stock that Woz shared with them.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Didn't realize until today that "The Wizard Of Woz" was a board member for Danger Inc (Sidekick fame). Andy Rubin who used to work for Apple co-founded both Danger and Android. And if anybody recalls, the first Android phone (aka G1 / HTC Dream) resembled a Sidekick and available for T-Mobile. Woz once said last year that Android will be the dominant platform but Apple will retain the most quality.

Woz single-handedly invented the early personal computers with the Apple I & II. And then personal computing later evolved to smartphones and tablets. He might not be as influential in the last 25+ years the way Jobs was, but he opened the floodgates for this personal computing to happen. The Woz claims he carries as many as 5-10 phones with him. He can easily get iPhones delivered with just a phone call to Tim Cook, but he decided to celebrate getting a 4s with the fans. The guy is an uber-geek that you can have a great convo with while standing in line and beat your highest score on Tetris. Love the man's passion for tech. An open mind and heart for it. Just another reason to admire the other Steve.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Who actually cares. I have a 4s and love it but might pick up a nexus because it's interesting

(is the nexus a world phone btw? Sorry for the thread hijack.)

It's more of a world phone than any other Android you could find. It even has T-Mobile's AND AT&T's 3G bands and HSPA+ ("4G") bands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.