Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Don't worry, in a few months he'll be in love with the iPhone 5, but not before waxing poetic about the Galaxy SIII next month.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
This has nothing to do with technology. Woz is whoring himself out now because he likes the limelight and enjoys the new found attention. While Jobs was alive, Woz was in relative obscurity. He didn't grab the media spotlight, like he is attempting to do now at seemingly every opportunity.

And his views on a phone change probably as often as I fart. Which gives his opinion on a phone very little credibility. Simply put, I can't trust anything he says. Maybe that plane crash really did mess him up?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Its great that he sees potential and excellence in a wide range of technologies. However, who really cares what phone he has at the moment. As a man interested in tech, surely he has lots of phones?

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Can't you comprehend what you read?

I didn't compare anything to a blackberry. ... Read it again and give it another go. :rolleyes:

The point is, Windows Phone is a really innovative OS, and there is a lot to be liked about it, which obviously currently there isn't about Blackberry. Why do you and other people get pissed that someone can like gadgets from multiple brands?

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
This has nothing to do with technology. Woz is whoring himself out now because he likes the limelight and enjoys the new found attention. While Jobs was alive, Woz was in relative obscurity. He didn't grab the media spotlight, like he is attempting to do now at seemingly every opportunity.

And his views on a phone change probably as often as I fart. Which gives his opinion on a phone very little credibility. Simply put, I can't trust anything he says. Maybe that plane crash really did mess him up?

Someone is simply asking him a question, and being a tech enthusiast, he willingly answers. Are you just frustrated that a harmless Woz question makes the rounds on droves of tech sites, while your YouTube video reviews or views on Tumblr sit in obscurity?

Also, sorry that you're unable to see that the entire industry changes and evolves daily, weekly, monthly. Not just at an annual press conference from one company.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I can see the Woz heaping praise on Windows Phone OS(not the device) is getting many people VERY upset and angry. ;)

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
Someone is simply asking him a question, and being a tech enthusiast, he willingly answers. Are you just frustrated that a harmless Woz question makes the rounds on droves of tech sites, while your YouTube video reviews or views on Tumblr sit in obscurity?

Also, sorry that you're unable to see that the entire industry changes and evolves daily, weekly, monthly. Not just at an annual press conference from one company.

Thanks. I've been using PC's since the early 80's and have been involved in tech that you have no clue about. In fact, I would wager to bet that i have probably been using PC's longer than you.

BTW, i don't use Youtube or Tumblr. was that supposed to be insulting?

If you read up on Woz, you would see the difference pre and post Jobs. Point is, he is like a politician. His opinions have zero credibility anymore. Whatever the flavor of the week is, that will be his favorite.

Last edited:

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks. I've been using PC's since the early 80's and have been involved in tech that you have no clue about. In fact, I would wager to bet that i have probably been using PC's longer than you have been alive.

BTW, i don't use Youtube or Tumblr. was that supposed to be insulting? If you read up on Woz, you would see the difference pre and post Jobs.

Ever use the Osborne 1? I did my first BASIC programming on that as a kid.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
On the contrary, the fact that his opinions of products in a fast moving area can change, makes them worthwhile over those of people whose opinions are stuck in one mode forever.

I think Woz represents far more people then some of the Woz-bashers do. I think most people are open minded and as long as Windows Phone continues to get better(hardware, software and apps) then it will gain marketshare.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Hi, my name is Steve Wozniak. You may remember me as, that other Steve?

Well, now that Jobs has left this world, I have decided that my time is now. Therefore, you will see my smug mug at every opening of every platform regardless of who makes it and I will give nothing but slobbery praise, even if it isn't worth it. Now that Woz, got his ICS phone, it was time to hit up windows phone. Next up will probably be RIM in an attempt to save the company. Lol

What's wrong with this? He likes technology.

He just likes technology and gadgets. You guys should really give up the hatred :p.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
What's wrong with this? He likes technology.

He just likes technology and gadgets. You guys should really give up the hatred :p.

You don't get it.

If he's so enamoured with everything, then he can't give an authoritative opinion on anything, because it changes with the wind. So him saying the iPhone 4S is "life-changing" is meaningless, because tomorrow he'll be in love with something else.

Woz is indiscriminate in his choices. So when he says something is "intuitive and beautiful", it's just fluff.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
You don't get it.

If he's so enamoured with everything, then he can't give an authoritative opinion on anything, because it changes with the wind. So him saying the iPhone 4S is "life-changing" is meaningless, because tomorrow he'll be in love with something else.

Woz is indiscriminate in his choices. So when he says something is "intuitive and beautiful", it's just fluff.

I get where you're coming from, but just because he changes platforms often, why can't he have good points on all of them? I admit that throwing around "life-changing" is a bit much, but to observe that an OS has a great interface, and another an intuitive file system, and another great connectivity; aren't those all equally valid opinions? And these OS's make changes from time to time, some for the better, some for the worse. One's opinion of an OS can easily change drastically because of certain, sometimes small, changes. That's what humans do.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
You don't get it.

Ah yes, we should all be in a monoculture of taste. Essentially the "Big Brother" ad to announce Macintosh in January of 1984 was really about Apple in the end. One aesthetic, one taste, one thought, one mind. NO thanks.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
I think all these negative comments about Woz is all based on jealousy. Sad state affair if people are envy or jealous of someone else. Go Woz!

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I think all these negative comments about Woz is all based on jealousy. Sad state affair if people are envy or jealous of someone else. Go Woz!

I don't know if it's envy that he's rich and can afford to own several smartphones or if it's just the Apple cult-ists who must enforce dogma at all times.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
I agree with Woz, that WP7 is something pretty cool and special.

The backlash against him is pretty sad. Yes, he likes WP7, and was a fan of WebOS, too. Funny thing--despite their weak sales, both are/were quite good, and in especially in the case of WebOS, innovative. Woz's opinion is interesting because his approach is that of the intelligent, personable engineer who appreciates something for what it is, rather than how it's marketed--something which more and more seems to run counter to Apple. It's got to be hard for the hardcore Apple apologists to accept that somebody as critical to Apple's roots as Woz could see past the Apple RDF.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I agree with Woz, that WP7 is something pretty cool and special.

The backlash against him is pretty sad. Yes, he likes WP7, and was a fan of WebOS, too. Funny thing--despite their weak sales, both are/were quite good, and in especially in the case of WebOS, innovative. Woz's opinion is interesting because his approach is that of the intelligent, personable engineer who appreciates something for what it is, rather than how it's marketed--something which more and more seems to run counter to Apple. It's got to be hard for the hardcore Apple apologists to accept that somebody as critical to Apple's roots as Woz could see past the Apple RDF.

That's because Woz was an engineer and he appreciates the hard work of other engineers.

kdarling

macrumors P6

What about someone who's so enamoured with a single company's products, that he cannot abide a negative opinion of them?

With someone like that, saying he loves the iPhone 4S is infinitely more meaningless, because he is unable to love anything else.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
I don't know if it's envy that he's rich and can afford to own several smartphones or if it's just the Apple cult-ists who must enforce dogma at all times.

Well seems like Woz is always getting put down no matter what he says or does. The guy is a genious and he has the right to his own opinions. Hey I use Android devices and run Windows/linux at home and use Apple devices at work. Should I get shuned for it? Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You don't get it.

He's an engineer who enjoys great products regardless if there's a fruit logo on the back. That does not make him indiscriminate and while you may consider him a traitor for help starting apple and now using non-apple products. He's a person that is not so wrapped up in a single company to be blind to see great products else where.

salmoally

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
He's an engineer who enjoys great products regardless if there's a fruit logo on the back. That does not make him indiscriminate and while you may consider him a traitor for help starting apple and now using non-apple products. He's a person that is not so wrapped up in a single company to be blind to see great products else where.

LTD just can't handle the fact that the person who co-founded Apple could dare use and appreciate other brand's products.

Without Woz there would have been no Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
You don't get it.

Seems to me that he praises good devices, the Pre he liked won awards, just because it flopped doesn't make it suddenly not a great device. He reminds of what Stephen Fry does over in the UK, I think it's great that he doesn't just heap praise on Apple, he's a fan of technology in general. If he heaps praise on the Samsung Galaxy III, Im betting that's because it's supposed to be Samsungs flagship device, and will probably be a great phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.