Wozniak calls for open Apple

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by KnightWRX, May 14, 2012.

1. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Not surprising considering the guy always was an engineer who liked to tinker with existing products to improve them, rather than a marketeer like Jobs :

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/300704,wozniak-calls-for-open-apple.aspx

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It would be nice, but I doubt it is ever going to happen.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Woz hasn't been relevant in decades. if it weren't for Apple blogs, no one would even read the stupid **** he says. Did you see what he said about Zuckerberg today?

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Certifiable crazy. Sorry guys but Woz is like the crazy mumbling guy on the street that people make dance for money.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

And if it wasn't for Apple forums no one would even read the stupid **** you say... ;)

I don't get the reason you are seemingly so pissed that Woz has an opinion. The jail-breaking community around iOS obviously shows that other people want a more open platform as well so it's not like Woz is the only person that feels this way.

Lethal

6. KnightWRX thread starter macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

The guy is an engineer and his opinions are those of engineers. Just a nice contrast to the "profit!" views we get. Seems pretty lucid to me.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't see his opinion having any more relevance than any other guy on the street at this point

Yes, he was a part of Apple's beginnings
    No, he hasn't been relevant to Apple in decades

Not sure why his name continues to be trotted out
    Has as much significance as interviewing Larry the Cable Guy

I think it is sad that he is being used in this way
    He is more of a cartoon character at this point than a real voice for anything

The media/blogs just love to pounce on anything he says that can be construed as contrary to Apple
    Creates hits for them, and that is about all it is worth

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

MacDawg's post said it better than I could.

9. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Considering that without him this forum would not even exist, it's a bit surprising you are so dismissive of the man.

He pretty much single-handedly designed the Apple I and II, without which I really don't see there being an Apple today at all.

To me that deserves a certain measure of respect.

Michael

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I agree he had an impact on the beginning of Apple and personal computing
    That is not in question at all
    If he was asked his opinion of the Apple I and II then it would hold weight
    However, he has no relevance to the current Apple, its business model or devices

Nice guy
    Likeable
    Smart

But his voice carries no more weight than any other IMO
    It is only quoted by self serving blogs to stir the pot, not add to the debate

He resembles a TV reality show personality far more than the co-founder of Apple these days

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

While you are correct, do you think he has anything that is relevent to todays Apple?

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

He isn't really relevent to Apple today, that is true, but maybe that isn't such a good thing.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Does not change the fact that Woz opinion tends to line up better with Engineers opinion that the Business side that we normally get.

14. smoledman macrumors 68000

Woz is one of the Founding Fathers of PCs - show some respect.

15. vvswarup macrumors 6502a

So? Apple should "open up" only of it makes strategic business sense to do so. Otherwise, Apple is just shooting itself in the foot.

As an Apple shareholder, I can tell you that I'm glad Woz isn't in charge.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The Dawg is right.

I usually think Woz is right, and I like reading what he says. I don't know or care about him really. I'm not old enough to remember the Apple I, II, XXII, whatever. He says things that many people are already thinking, and I'm usually in agreement with him. The difference between him and I is that he's a famous engineer and tech guy, and I'm not. Even if I have the same opinion as him, he's there to publicize it.

I will continue to bitch and moan at MR, but that's it. ;)

17. smoledman macrumors 68000

Too bad Apple is less engineering these days and more money mad.

18. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I think this may not be extremely relevant as a whole, but at least to me it would be. If he did this, I would definitely start considering a purchase of one. There have been complaints about iOS and it's freedom before, even though its main audience isn't that concerned about that. iOS might be fine even with a little more freedom than OS X, as it is still limited by the App Store, and they're not giving out CD's for it. I've never heard of a person who has hacked iOS onto their computer/tablet, so there wouldn't be much of a problem unless they license it to third-party manufacturers.