Wozniak does not use iPhone for voice calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pugnut, Sep 23, 2007.

1. pugnut macrumors 6502a

"Why didn't you switch your voice phone to the iPhone?

The voice quality. Being able to hear it. How it works with my Bluetooth that I like. The iPhone doesn't work with my Bluetooth."

http://www.crn.com/hardware/202100362

2. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Interesting article. He comments on the problem with the low volume. Apple has got to fix this ASAP.

That man is such a geek it is frightening.

3. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

yea, he definitely is the geek master.

I remember him explaining his vacuum tube watch or whatever... nerd x 50.

Seems him and Steve haven't been hanging out as much anymore...

4. dangleheart macrumors 6502

Woz says a lot of things that I readily relate to. He is a role model to a lot of budding engineers/geeks.

I know woz's opinions before from other interviews, on making the computer interface 'human' which iPhone succeeds in many ways.

I also agree with him that Apple has to improve on the basic function of making phone calls. When I turn it on, it should be obvious to people who are using the iPhone for the first time, what they need to do to make a phone call.

Also, apple has to make the various gestures consistent across all applications. For example, why flick does not work for notes? That would be quite intuitive.

5. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

Rumor has it that he's engaged to Kathy Griffin. You would think that he'd ditch phones all together. If I were him I'd do away with my ears too.

6. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

7. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Huh? Do you mean they should have an icon prominently displayed on the dock that says "Phone"???

8. alFR macrumors 68020

"I didn't want to be in line and have 20, 50 people cut in front of me. I might not get an iPhone. So I came up with this great idea of making numbers for the line the way they do with rock concerts. And I made T-shirts and I got approval from the Apple store guy the day before. So I came at 4 am and I accidentally snuck into an open door in the Mall. But nobody sleeping out there even saw me. I got in with my friends and we got our Segways inside and the guard was told who I was and he let us be inside. So we were inside the Mall and everyone else was outside the Mall.

At 5 am we went four people on Segways looking like security. We opened up the door and out there sleeping on the ground were all the people and I took control. I said I am here, we are going to pass out t-shirts and numbers and we passed around numbers each one signed by me. But the first number I passed out was nine. I took one through eight."

Sorry, he may be the Apple co-founder, but what a git.

9. sanford macrumors 65816

All that and apple would have sent him 10 final units for free a week before launch He's done other overly complicated things to act like he remains the common geek. Like carrying a phone and an iPhone for example. Last inportant thing he did in engineering was the WIM chip, an integrated floppy controller for the original Apple ][.

10. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Actuall, Woz was in line because he would've had to wait another day to get an iPhone from Apple. That was the earliest Jobs would've given him one according to Woz.

11. sanford macrumors 65816

You know I remember hearing something like that. If it's true or not, we don't know, but I do believe he said it. Wozniak can be an awful dweeb and Jobs can be totalitarian. But there would have been no Apple without both of them. It's just that when you give a hyper-focused zealot great wealth, he keeps showing up for work every morning; give it to an inveterate tinkerer, he comes in later and later, stops showing up at all, stays home and picks up 99 interesting hobbies at which he is quite capable, but he never does anything really great again unless by accident. The money isn't important to the tinkerer save the fact it allows him to tinker without purpose. To the zealot, the money is a measure of how well his vision has succeeded.

12. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

IWM "Integrated Woz Machine"

13. kbrain2929 macrumors regular

kbrain2929

This made me laugh so hard. It's just weird. Don't ya think? :apple:

14. sanford macrumors 65816

Point of contention: WIM "Woz Integrated Machine", as the the controller in the first Macs which Wozniak did not help develop was based on his architecture and named in homage the SWIM chip "Super Woz Integrated Machine".

I don't recall they changed the order of the words, just added the "Super".

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I think Woz needs to make a guest appearance at MWSF.
    What's good for some people isn't great for all.

16. kbrain2929 macrumors regular

kbrain2929

Woz @ MWSF would be AWESOME! I think it would be cool if he announced something. Something like a new MBP. :D ;) :apple:

17. dangleheart macrumors 6502

Not always skinnylegs. The number of steps needed to make a call is a) Press the home button 2) Slide 3) Now depending on what the last use was, you would see some other screen. so press home again 4) Phone 5) Keypad

Once you are used to it, it is still not a big deal but for someone new, this is not the most straightforward route to make a phone call for a gadget whose main purpose is to make a phone call. I am mentioning this in the context of what Woz said about keeping it 'human' for occasional users. Do not get me wrong, I love the iPhone.

18. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I think there is a case to be made that there should be at least an option to have the phone automatically always open up to the phone keyboard. Many people use this primarily as a phone. Giving up buttons doesn't mean we don't want to be able to dial a number without multiple selections by the user.