WP 8.1 developer preview update

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by maflynn, May 14, 2014.

1. maflynn, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like MS released a new update to WP 8.1
    It popped up on my phone. I don't have any other info, but its a bit of good news.

Edit: Version 8.10.12382.878

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yes, thanks for the heads up! I updated when I saw you post this a few hours ago. :D

What I love about this update is that it has finally fixed the touch issue with the 1520! You would get false taps, instead of swipes at various times throughout the day. It was very frustrating. Now I can say the 1520 it's great again! Very happy with this update.

3. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

How well does this updated preview sync with Google services? I couldn't get my 520 to sync with Google calendar using the previous preview. It kept returning with an error.

4. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Don't know. Haven't messed with Google services yet. And I haven't updated my 520 yet. Will let you know.

5. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Well, updated my 520 (took nearly 45 minutes, with all my data transferred over after the download and install - so prepare for a long wait), but all my Google 3rd party apps work fine. Just had to sign back in on my Google Keep app.

As for calendar, I have Outlook synced via my Google account, so any changes made to one calendar are reflected on the other. But I set everything up initially on my PC, not on a mobile device. I have no problems with my calendar.

6. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't have google services so I can't say if its better/worse or the same.

So far things are stable, but being a bug fix, I don't see any major differences.

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Thanks for the update! That's good news and look forward to updating once again when it goes "gold". :)

8. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Seems like I'm getting better battery life. My 1520 used to give me about 2 days. When I updated to 8.1 it was draining in less than a day. Now I'm getting a full day with a little left.

9. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Have you noticed that the phantom taps when swiping have also disappeared on your 1520?

10. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I haven't had any swipe/tap issues with my 1520 since I updated yesterday. Everything seems much smoother in general. I did not notice a battery issue previously, but probably because my phone charges all night, charges when I'm driving, charges when I'm at my desk at work.....

Instagram was giving me a bunch of connectivity issue on the first release and suddenly works great with the latest update.

I was a little concerned about switching from iOS to WP after being on it since the first iPhone, but I simply LOVE 8.1 and Cortana. It really is the best of Siri and Google Now combined.

11. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Exact same results as I have seen. Battery life was pretty bad (for the 1520) before this patch and have noticed a huge improvement from yesterday to today. I really like this new CEO at Microsoft. This really seems like a completely different company that actually cares about the customers experience.

12. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The battery bug wasn't affecting me, I'm not seeing any changes before or after the patch.

13. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Cortana is the best of Siri and Google Now combined?

How so?

14. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Here are a couple of reasons:

1. using Bing as the backbone of Cortana, Microsoft has made it a lot like the Google Now assistant on Android. Cortana recognizes your interests and uses Bing to mine various information categories to deliver news and contextual information that you are supposed to find particularly useful.

2. Siri doesn't provide the precognitive abilities that Google Now or Cortana do, because its fundamentally different under the hood and doesn't have a search engine spine the way the Microsoft and Google offerings do.

15. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I only had that issue in certain apps, and I still am having it, so I don't think it's related to the update. The Readit app is the worst for this. Probably 40% of the time I'm trying to scroll it registers as a tap.

16. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Is gone for me with the latest update.

17. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Thanks. I updated the new Win 8.1 software on my Nokia 521 and it went smoothly.

As far as Cortana goes, I have added interests back when but I do not see a way that it mimics Google Now with the latter using the card system that brings me things like specific stocks in my portfolio or sports team scores I am interested in.

Is there a way to it do it with Cortana?

18. Lloydbm41, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014

Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Cortana has to 'learn' your interests, what you like, where you go, who you talk to, etc over time. That requires you using Cortana to search for things, set reminders, and so on. You won't get cards like Google Now, but info you need pops up in your Cortana live tile (Wide tile), in Notifications (for things like alarms and reminders), and as info when you open Cortana and scroll down.

Remember, it is still in Beta and the data being collected within Bing takes time to assimilate. Cortana is sort of a Siri/GNow hybrid with its own look and way of giving you info.

Edit: For your interests and sport scores, did you go into Cortana and tap the menu button on the top right of the screen? See my pics below. I added in the San Fran 49ers football team just to demo this. As for stocks, you probably need to download the Microsoft finance app to get that info.

Attached Files:

19. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Update for you:

How to add stock quotes in Cortana.

1. Open Cortana
    2. Type in 'Appl stock quote' as a search query
    3. Right under the first answer is a link to add it into your interests by updating it for you. Click the link.
    4. Close Cortana and reopen. Scroll down and your stocks will now show every time you open Cortana.

See below:

Attached Files:

20. smoledman macrumors 68000

Very impressed with Cortana so far. I've started to notice Jen Taylor's voice appearing in the responses.

21. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Much obliged. I will give the sports and stock instructions a go asap. I was in a Microsoft store the other day and their smartphones are not on 8.1 since it was only in beta. Did not bother asking them how to do those things as I knew where that would have gotten me. :)

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Has anyone had any noticeable bugs with 8.1? I didnt with the 1520, im just about to update a 1020 to it.

Yes MRU has gotten his hands on a 1020 now too..... will the phone madness ever end.

23. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

No worries. :D

----------

I have the 8.1DP running on the 520, 1020 and 1520. Only bug that was of issue was the battery drain, and that seems to have been patched with last weeks update. Only other minor issue I have is with IE, but that probably is an issue with IE11 and not the OS. (If you use IE, try to add an image to a post on here in desktop mode. I can't. When I add the image and then attempt to close the screen, all I will get is a blank white screen with no way to return to my post.)