Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/31/3281985/nokia-lumia-920-specs-pictures-leak

lumia920_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

inShare​

Nokia's new flagship Windows Phone 8 device has been leaked today, revealed as the Lumia 920. Posted to Twitter by @evleaks, the Lumia 920 appears to include a PureView camera that the company has been hinting at in recent weeks. Codenamed the Phi, Nokia's Lumia 920 is said to include a 4.5-inch display and will likely be available in a number of colors judging by the leaked image.

Other details on the handset are not available, but leaked images of the Lumia 820 also surfaced today — previously known as the Arrow. We expect both devices to be unveiled at a special event with Microsoft in New York next week, where we'll learn all the official details of Nokia's new Windows Phone 8 handsets.

A1nr5ckCUAAqqif_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

inShare​

An image of the Nokia Lumia 820 has been leaked by Twitter user evleaks. The 820 apparently has a 4.3-inch display, and if you squint you'll make out "Carl Zeiss" on the camera lens, but not much more is known at this point. It looks though this is the mid-range "Arrow" handset we reported on last week, which is set to launch on AT&T and T-Mobile in the US. A variant codenamed Atlas is bound for Verizon later on. Nokia has a press event on September 5th where we're expecting it to unveil the Lumia 820 alongside the just-leaked flagship, the Lumia 920 with PureView.

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
920 is hot, 820 is eh (I don like th rounded corners). Also, I would prefer a supe svelte, thin device, I don't care about PureView.

Sixtafoua

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Boston, MA
These look totally fake to me. That being said, the 920 looks fantastic, and dual core+NFC +more colors would definitely make it a really nice option. Carriers and pricing are the only factors that would convince me not to buy it.

Also, the lumia 800 is a really nice phone, and the 820 sort of ruins it, if we are to believe these pictures. I don't really want a phablet, so I kind of like the 800's screen size, plus the 800's boxy design is really nice, and the alleged 820 just looks like a cheap android phone.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Exclusive: Nokia Lumia 920 to include wireless charging, 32GB storage, and 8-megapixel camera

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/3/3286656/nokia-lumia-920-wireless-charging-specs-camera-pureview
lumia920_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

inShare​

Nokia will introduce its latest Lumia 920 handset at a special event with Microsoft on Wednesday September 5th, we have learned. Images of the Lumia 920 leaked last week and we have been able to confirm them with multiple sources. The Lumia 920 will be Nokia's new flagship Windows Phone and will include some impressive hardware specifications to match. According to sources familiar with the company's Windows Phone plans, Nokia is packaging wireless charging with its Lumia 920.
Wireless charging
A magnetic strip will be hidden in the back of the Lumia 920 to support wireless charging, and we're told it will support the Qi wireless power standard — making it compatible with other wireless charging products. Aside from the charging aspect, Nokia's Lumia 920 will also include 32GB of device storage, 1GB of RAM, and a 1.5GHz dual-core processor. We have also been able to confirm that it will include a 4.5-inch HD display.
lumia920design.jpg

PureView, but not really PureView
One rumored aspect of the Lumia 920 is a PureView camera. We can confirm that Nokia will indeed brand its Lumia 920 camera as PureView, but that the camera will be an 8-megapixel one — not the 41-megapixel one found on the company's 808 PureView handset. Nokia is focusing on marketing the Lumia 920 as PureView thanks to some advancements in image stabilization and camera software that it plans to ship on the device. The front of the device will also include a 1.3-megapixel camera.
We're expecting Nokia to announce the device on Wednesday for AT&T customers initially, with a launch date expected in late October or early November.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
They look fantastic but I'm not going to buy a mamoth phone that is 4.5 inches nor would I go for the 820 if it is not a high end model.

I don't understand why 4 inch or less sized phones get poor specs compared to 4.5 inch and greater phones, but I refuse to put a phablet in my pocket.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Oh boy I can't wait for my cat to rub his head against the phone and knock it off the charging do-whacky :D

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
They look fantastic but I'm not going to buy a mamoth phone that is 4.5 inches nor would I go for the 820 if it is not a high end model.

I don't understand why 4 inch or less sized phones get poor specs compared to 4.5 inch and greater phones, but I refuse to put a phablet in my pocket.

Because the high end high speced phones are gaining marketshare, fast. And companies pay more attention to those.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

The Lumia 820 and 920 are rumores to have the same specs, just a different screen size. Try the 820 if you're into the smaller screen.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I don't get what's so amazing about wireless charging. Or am I missing something? I just don't find it much of a burden to plug in my current phone when I need to charge it. :)

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Ahead of Nokia's Windows Phone event, there's been plenty of discussion about the Lumia 920's PureView classification, and though the camera's pixel count remains TBA, we're still getting a few sneak peeks at the upcoming hardware. Yesterday, leaked press photos of a Lumia wireless charging pad suggested that the new phone will be available in yellow and red. Based on a tweet from EVLeaks today, it looks like the Lumia 920 will be available in a few additional shades: white, grey and black. EVLeaks previously tweeted pics of the Lumia 820 in seven different hues, so it looks like we're in for a (ahem) colorful event tomorrow.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/04/photo-shows-nokia-lumia-920-five-color/

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Nokia Lumia 920 hands-on: the dual-core, HD Windows Phone 8 flagship to take on the beasts

By Joseph Volpe posted Sep 5th 2012 11:01AM
Hands-On

It's official. Nokia's just taken the wraps off its worst-kept Windows Phone 8 secret: the Lumia 920. The device, announced at the manufacturer's event in New York City today, is a spiritual successor to the 900 that first broke onto American shores and can largely be seen as a response to critics of that former device. With a dual-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU (the same one that drives the the current US supremos, the HTC One X and Galaxy S III), a "better than HD" 1280 x 768 LCD display, PureView imaging (albeit with only 8-megapixels), NFC capabilities, 2,000mAh battery with wireless charging, and a next-gen Redmond-baked OS, this handset's a big break proposition for the flailing Finnish company; an attempt to up the ante and compete on even ground. From the outside, it may appear as though not much has changed in this generational hardware leap, but rest assured that what Espoo's packed inside should take the mobile outfit to the next level. So, follow on after the break as we dive into our first impressions of this curiously-hued smartphone splash.
Nokia Lumia 920

If you've fondled a Lumia 900 before, you'll know what to expect here. The 920 retains much the same form factor as its predecessor, with an all polycarbonate chassis (in this case, a sunny, near neon yellow) replete with rounded side edges and a familiar button placement. The finish of the body has changed slightly, with the 4.5-inch screen now blending gently into its polycarbonate border -- a nod to the "sinuous tapering" of the original, awesomely-built Lumia 800. But, on the downside, what once was matte and grippy is now a polished, glossy affair. It's a design decision that we wish Nokia hadn't made, since it lends a cheapness to the handset that belies its hearty internals. Obviously, that last bit is a matter of personal taste and it's entirely possible the company went with this less premium exterior to keep costs down, but we miss that matte refinement.
In the cramped constraints we operate under during these official launch events, it's not always possible to test out a phone's imaging capabilities. We weren't able to put the dumbed-down 8-megapixel PureView module to the test. What should be apparent from that spec alone, and the device's smooth back, is that this Lumia won't deliver the same awe-inspiring optic performance of the 808. Perhaps Nokia's saving that ace for another smartphone reveal, but in the meantime, users will have to suffice with the 920's other types of optical wizardry. Nokia said during the announcement that its sensor can capture "between five and ten times" the light of any other smartphone, which presumably relates to the Zeiss lens's f/2.0 maximum aperture -- and yet the One X also has an f/2.0 lens, so perhaps something else is going on here. Then there's also "floating lens" image stabilization, which Nokia insists can beat the optical stabilization even of DSLR cameras. Even at our most open-minded, we can hardly absorb marketing claims like that until we've had a chance to test the 920's photo-taking performance for ourselves -- which hopefully won't be far off.
So, you know how it looks, how it feels and even what's inside, but let's not forget the most important piece of this smartphone pie: how it works. By now, you should be well aware that this is a Windows Phone 8 device. It's infused with the mobile OS Microsoft crafted from the bottom up and one that shares a kernel with its desktop sibling. Fans of WP will feel right at home when they power on the handset, as that start screen -- now expanded to fill up the entire 4.5-inch real estate --pops with an array of live tiles and a balanced vibrancy of color, even without the contrasty AMOLED technology of the Lumia 800. WP8 is a beast unto itself, so stay tuned as we update this post with further software impressions.

Nokia Lumia 920 official: Dual-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU, 8MP PureView camera, Windows Phone 8

By Mat Smith posted Sep 5th 2012 10:12AM
Breaking News

post_icon_pr.gif

It was only this past spring that Nokia crashed onto the US smartphone scene to stake its claim and make inroads into consumers' minds and hearts. Now, just five months later, the Finnish company's poised to overtake the buzz of its fledgling, former Windows Phone flagship, with what many consider to be a true high-end contender: the Lumia 920.
As one of the first Windows Phone 8 devices to be officially announced, this device augments Espoo's line with a larger, curved 4.5-inch PureMotion HD+ display, dual-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU, 2,000mAh battery, NFC, integrated wireless charging and an 8-megapixel rear PureView camera capable of 1080p video. The display packs WXGA (1,280 x 768) resolution, is 25 percent brighter than the next best panel on the market and it's the fastest LCD that Nokia has ever shipped on a smartphone. What's more, the screen also boasts what Nokia calls "Super Sensitive Touch," which promises to let you use it even when wearing gloves or mitts.
As you can tell from its humpless back, this PureView is not that of the 41-megapixel variety -- it's merely all about the branding, as the moniker will now ring synonymous with "high-end cameras." Despite that fall from 808 grace, Nokia's Head of Imaging Damian Dinning has assured detractors the magic is in what's done with the optics and pixels and not sheer gargantuan sampling size. To wit, the 920 employs a "floating lens," which, in layman's terms, translates into hardware image stabilization and also packs impressive low-light capabilities -- an area the company's seems squarely focused upon.
In a true return to form, the 920 also hearkens back to the Lumia that started it all, opting for the "sinuous tapering" that debuted on the 800 with glass edges that blend gently into the polycarbonate hull. Unfortunately, not all of that design language has made the transition, given its chassis now appears glossier and more polished, distancing itself from that premium matte finish. Still, as looks go, the handset's keeping to its 900 origins, appearing nigh indistinct from its predecessor save for that attention-grabbing mellow yellow hue.And as a bonus, Nokia's imbued the device with integrated wireless charging, based on the Qi standard, which corroborates those leaks we saw just last week.

Nokia Lumia 920

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/nokia-lumia-920-official-dual-core-1-5ghz-snapdragon-s4-cpu-wi/

----------

Nokia announces Lumia 820, a 4.3-inch, LTE-running, budget-friendly Windows Phone 8 handset

Breaking News

post_icon_pr.gif

No matter your budget, Nokia's got a Windows Phone 8 handset for you. While the Lumia 920 is holding the high-end hostage, the Lumia 820's planning to sneak in and capture the midrange. The phone is packing the same dual-core 1.5Ghz Snapdragon S4 internals that you'll find in the Lumia 920, 1GB RAM, while wireless charging is available as an optional feature -- with an additional shell that adds around 1mm to its overall thickness.
While the 4.3-inch handset isn't unattractive, the design language of the 800 (and N9) that captured our hearts has been dumped in favor of something a little more symmetrical. The glass of its OLED 800 x 480 ClearBlack display is flat rather than curved and the body's finish is a little more shinier than the previous generation of Nokia's brand of polycarbonate.
Photography fans looking to get their hands on some budget-flavored PureView goodness will be disappointed to see that it's been reserved for the high-end model. This unit comes with the more familiar 8-megapixel Carl Zeiss optics that we've seen on other models. A further improvement on the 800 comes round the front, with the inclusion of a VGA camera for video chats.
Those clamoring for more storage will also be happy to see that while it comes with only 8GB of on-board memory, it's packing microSD support and you'll get an additional 7GB of SkyDrive space on Redmond's cloud service as part of the deal.
It'll arrive in Red, Yellow, Grey, Cyan, Purple, White and Black, in LTE and HSPA+ variants, with shipping starting "later in the year," but with no specific announcement on pricing or availability.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/nokia-lumia-820/

----------

Nokia has just introduced its 820 and 920 models:

They are much more interesting in terms of new features than the new iPhone IMHO (wireless charging, an OS which hasreally evolved, dual core snapdragon, close in term of architecture, to the cortex A15, nicer design, "true" HD screen. ..)

Apple will have to amaze us during its upcoming presention ... today the competitors have serious arguments :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.